• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This goes well with WETSU's latest "Gray Man" video.

In terms of "fashion" I'm much the same-- neutral colors, comfortable shoes/boots, non-gunny apparel, etc. My wife may wish that I was more stylish, but I prefer being nondescript.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Awesome article, thanks! I've been thinking on this long and hard off and on for a few years now.

Tell you what, a faded pair of blue jeans and a gray hooded zipper sweat shirt has kept me hidden downtown for years. :D

That and keeping all my money/cards stashed in different pockets, only keeping $2 in my wallet, jokes on them. ;)

I tested my "outfit" once, sat on a curb and looked at a paper. Actually had a guy throw some change at my feet. 54 cents richer and a good test!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Funny that I fit perfectly the profile the athor described, and have always been the guy you won't remember tomorrow.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've adhered to the no logos/words advice for my wardrobe (for the most part) for a long time. I do have a small supply of "graphics tees", but they're well and truly swamped by the number of plain tees, tops, polos, and general work-type wear.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good info all around. This can apply to what you drive as well. There are places in the city where I'll leave the family car at home and take the rusty old Subaru with faded steel wheels.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    You know, much of the article is just common sense, especially for people who grew up in "mixed neighborhoods." If you do these things, you're not a "gray man," you're just like everyone else.

It's kind of interesting to see people's reaction in this thread. What many urbanites do reflexively is lauded as "good info." I guess that means some have been so lucky that they never had to learn this stuff first hand.

Someone ought to write about patterns of movements to look out for.

I don't necessarily agree with the muted colors things. The key here is to fit in and not stand out, and other factors are more important. You can do a red hoodie and jeans if you look like you fit in.

It might be a little hard disappearing into a black neighborhood if you're white, or into a white neighborhood if you're black.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...you're not a "gray man," you're just like everyone else. ...

To me that's about the definition of the gray man, that is, "gray man" = just like everyone else.

You're right that it is contextual. Most places around here muted colors might work best. In other places, you may have to dress as loudly/brightly as everyone else.

You also hint at something else important I think, it goes beyond how you look and includes things like how you move/walk, how you talk, etc.

Comprehensive camouflage.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    .... Let’s talk about why for a moment: The idea in a potentially dangerous situation is to be ignored, not to wear clothing that screams “rape me!” to the wrong people.

Only thing missing is the part about throwing up on the attacker or telling them you're having your period.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Read a book years ago writen by a reformed house burglar, he said he would buy the most common neutral tone clothes he could find.
    No facial hair, kept his hair cut short.
    If a home owner got a look at him he wanted to look so average that he couldn't be described.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I always keep my eyes on the folks with lots of pants pockets and loud on the black. Remember the early photos from the Boston bombing of the two stand out guys in black and tan with sand combat boots? They had nothing to do with it but were certainly targeted for their dress.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My wife thinks I dress down too much. Worn jeans, sneakers or scruffy boots(winter), pocket t's, flannel or work type shirt-tails out, hooded gray or camo sweat shirt.(Hunter camo, not military) watch cap or camo ball cap. No logos preferred. Under the flannel, shoulder rig w/ G21, belt carry-G19, tactical clip knife, cell phone.
    Summer: Cargos, polo shirts, flip flops or sneakers. 38 spec snubnose in pocket. No one notices anything.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of you are missing the point.

A white guy in a non white neighborhood is going to stand out. But what he wears we can still make assumptions on.

non military camo = hunter
    flat top with sime kind of boots = ex military
    hockey mask = serial killer

you get the point...

So you wear the clothes that give you NOTHING, no assumptions can really be drawn from your dress. Accessorizing without drawing attention is an art

Top Bottom