• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you see one, don't call animal control, call DNR. If you do call animal control they'll tell you they only control domestic animals, and they won't get it when you recommend they change their name. That happened a few months ago when I spotted a mangy coyote south of Avon in a subdivision.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, they are out there for sure. Last night I heard a pack just out my back door. I could hear them over my tv. I also have tracks throughout my yard. I will be going out with my dogs at night from now on. Yes, I will be carrying. Two years ago, while I was getting ready for work, I looked outside and saw two walking through my yard. I could have opened my window and grabbed them, they were that close.

gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, i have a couple questilns.

I just heard a pair (at least) of coyotes howling outside my house. By no means am I in the country, but there is a wooded/fielded area bordering my neighborhood. I have a dog, and let her out fairly early in the morning when I leave for work (6 am). What's the laws concerning if were one to actually attack either myself or my dog?

I know in Indiana we have the right to protect self and property, I.e. my dog, but in a relatively crowded neighborhood with houses on less than 0.2~0.25 acres, would I be justified in firing assuming I have a safe shot? Or should I be looking at other means? And no, I'm not going to be firing a warning shot. I'd rather have a dead coyote and the police to deal with than just reports of shots fired and my word.

I don't exactly want to be within broom stick distance. Which by the way is what my dad suggested I do, grab a broom (I'll grab my steel core shovel though, not a broom). The last thing I want to do, if avoidable, is get physically involved in a fight between my dog and a potentially rabid coyote.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I live in the woods and have lost several pets. When I first moved here I was content to let the coyotes live, as every coyote I ever saw immediately turned and went the other way. That was until earlier this year, when I started spotting a coyote close to my house, in mid-morning, and it completely ignored me on my tractor not 20 yds away. Then it started stalking me and my dog, a German Shepherd, although I didn't realize that was happening until after several such episodes. It was that last episode that really gave me the heebie-jeebies. I was riding my atv with my dog trotting along and the coyote came out into the trail behind us and barked. It did this repeatedly, following along, sometimes off-trail, but always coming into the trail and barking. When I got home I put the dog inside and grabbed my Marlin 22 magnum. I went back to the area I had just been through, the atv engine clearly announcing my return. I stopped and looked behind me. There, maybe 35 yds away, in the middle of the trail, was that coyote. She dropped in her tracks as I put a bullet through her left eye; unsupported and iron sights to boot.
    I also learned this year that the survival rate of fawns is significantly related to the presence/absence of coyotes. If a doe has 2 fawns in a coyote free region, on average 1.4 fawns will survive the first year. That same doe having 2 fawns in a coyote endemic region will only have 0.4 fawns survive a year.
    I'm a convert.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    All kidding aside, coyotes are predators! They have to kill and eat to survive. They also multiply at a fantasic rate. I have never missed an opportunity to put down a coyote either with a gun or a bow. My wife and I watch deer a lot and during some of our outings we have seen a few coyotes that are the size of German Shepards. Be careful and aware when you are out!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Coyotes seem to get more bold the longer they are around people. When we moved to our home 3 yrs ago it was in the first couple weeks I came outside and there was one in the backyard. I have small children, so that wasnt going to fly. I set up and killed 2 one seperate occasions. Dragged the carcasses into the fence row behind the house and left them there for warning to the others.
    The problem pretty much ceased. Turkey hunting in Texas a few years ago we saw where the local ranchers had shot coyotes and strung the carcasses up onon the fences. I asked why and they said the other coyotes didnt like their own dead visible and it kept them shy of people

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Deer and Urban Coyotes can get along..........look at the wolf and deer in this pic.

wolf2.jpg

He is just a big puppy, yes he is!

wolf.jpg

davebradley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got a pack that lives close by. I hate the little suckers. We have deer outside the outside of the house almost every morning. So I know they are close by. I live in a wooded area, but part of a no hunting community here.... Bugs me to no end.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've got a pack that lives close by. I hate the little suckers. We have deer outside the outside of the house almost every morning. So I know they are close by. I live in a wooded area, but part of a no hunting community here.... Bugs me to no end.

Once Fido and Fluffy start disappearing, that attitude may change.

Top Bottom