• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I hate that Mr Bell got turned off of this forum because we didn't just take his word for the fact that he was a expert, but establishing that you are knowledgeable in what your teaching is part of it. Knowing how to operate a machine and build rifles, and knowing what all goes into shooting long range is apples and oranges.

He could be the best long range instructor in the world, but you wouldn't pay money for culinary classes from someone if you didn't know they at least knew how to fry a egg would you? I think a lot of people were interested in learning from Mr Bell, but he had a couple people with less than 10 posts saying he was great, and for all we know they were all family. Not only does the trainer have to be respected, but the people who recommend his class have to be "known" as well.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I hate that Mr Bell got turned off of this forum because we didn't just take his word for the fact that he was a expert, but establishing that you are knowledgeable in what your teaching is part of it. Knowing how to operate a machine and build rifles, and knowing what all goes into shooting long range is apples and oranges.

He could be the best long range instructor in the world, but you wouldn't pay money for culinary classes from someone if you didn't know they at least knew how to fry a egg would you? I think a lot of people were interested in learning from Mr Bell, but he had a couple people with less than 10 posts saying he was great, and for all we know they were all family. Not only does the trainer have to be respected, but the people who recommend his class have to be "known" as well.

I agree completely! No sense in getting pissed off, if you have the qualifications to teach, put them out there for us to see.
    It looks to me that he is more about selling his custom rifles, and teaching others how to shoot them. And thats fine. Just tell it like it is.

I also agree with the point that the issue of zoning hasn't been explained here.
    I DO think that you should pretty much be able to do whatever you want on your property, but when you operate a business, you must abide by the laws in your area. They're not going to change the laws just because you don't like them.

So again, what exactly is the zoning issue? And I'll ask again, what good will it do for several of us to show up? If what he is doing is against zoning, all he can do is try to get re-zoned. I doubt that any of us out of towners will have any influence on the zoning board. On the other hand, perhaps he should get as many signatures of local land owners on a petition to change his zoning. That may actually do something for him.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Joe is a good guy and I hope things work out for him. I am just now seeing this thread and would have been there to support in any way I could.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Joe is a good guy and I hope things work out for him. I am just now seeing this thread and would have been there to support in any way I could.

Que is a forum member whose opinion will have strong influence. I am sorry to hear that somebody is running into trouble with zoning.

I have had my own experiences with local zoning as it pertains to firearms. It differs from county to county. To answer a question posed earlier, yes a person who owns property in a rural setting can shoot on their property. But the definition of a shooting range in Indiana is basically any area where a target is setup. Some counties have restrictions on shooting ranges. This does not really affect an individual landowner shooting on their property. However if a person charges other people to use the range or if they are charging for a class that requires use of the range there could be a potential zoning issue. I don't know if this is what is going on in this situation.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Just a few comments after seeing this.

First thing is I wish the best for Mr. Bell. He sounds like a stand up guy who needs to improve his sales pitch a bit.

He needs to find every single soul who has ever spent money at his business and count them. This way in the future he can explain to the zoning board the positive economic impact he has on the community by bringing in "out of towners." This might sound hokey but boards LOVE to hear about positive economic impact.

Also, he needs to pull his head from the naive zone. I mean this in the kindest way! If someone is out to get him he better be ready to hit back hard as hell before the next punch is thrown. Letters to editor, television interview about bitter neighbor, whatever can work to push the boat away from the falls. A letter writing campaign from every prior customer and friendly neighbor to the neutral or friendly board members would be very helpful.

Complaining about a zoning board member will do nada if he is elected. Your best bet is to find someone good in the community to run against him. Complaining about him can make you a disgruntled, unhappy citizen who is greedy or ______________(fill in the blank.) You get the idea. I am not against complaining about unethical behavior, but I am against wasting effort where it won't do any good.

Another tack is if the guy who wants his property is a pig farmer, find groups out there who hate pig farming and try to get them to work against the enemy. The Sierra Club, the EPA, TreeHuggers Unlimited. Find everyone you can who is willing to take shots at the enemy. The enemy of my enemy is my friend (at least temporarily.) These folks are already organized and have a base to work with.

If he is truly going to get into a court battle against the city or county he may well want to consider bringing in an attorney from outside. An attorney from inside the "zone" may have strong issues truly sticking it to big brother in a small community where his bread is buttered. An outside legal council can come in and ram it to the city/county and the LEAVE, never to return. The outside attorney won't give a rip about who he ticks off or how many apple carts he/she upsets. Attorneys are not stupid. They know that if they live in a community they will be standing in front of the same judges for years to come and if they won a case that cut that courts budget due to a victory they may not do well for some time.

Mr. Bell also needs to back up and review his entire business and exactly how he is zoned! He may believe he is operating within the rules but as things are now being scrutinized he needs to make 100% certain. The last thing he needs is to be well intentioned but legally in error.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom