• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This issue has been kicking around for years.

Nato standarization of pistol rounds went out the window with the FN57 and the HK 4.6x30 making a lot of ingress.

The brits recently ditched the high power for Glocks.

The germans seem to be pushing the PDW concept with the 4.6x30 MP7, but they retain the G8 pistol in 9mm

The Belgians no longer stock or use 9mm at all.

I don't know if there is enough sentiment to go back to 45 or not. I know the Marines got some 45s.

But standardization is LONG out the window in the pistol area in Nato. So that may open the door.

One thing is for sure... and this was an issue with the M1911A1 and M9s. When it comes to pistols, they need to buy replacements once in a while!!!!!!!!!

They used the same damn 45s from WWII way into the 80s. It's the same thing with the M9s.

The M9s are the firearm equivalent to abused biker gang groupies. Twenty years ago, those M9s probably handled and shot like a proper Beretta. Then, Airman Snuffy was issued his. After that duty rotation Sgt. Schmuckatelli drew it, and then Colonel Nolube picked it up next. After twenty years of strangers shooting, carrying ,clearing, loading, shooting, hammering tent pegs and occasionally cleaning them, the M9s in service today are in bad shape, So you have people deploying to combat zones with lackluster to non-existent handgun training, issued ammunition which requires precise shot placement to stop a threat and it’s fired out of a metal-framed duty pistol with no or little basic maintenance over the course of two decades. Oh, and let’s use contract parkerized magazines which trap contaminants, too. And folks wonder why there are problems. That’s why I have to chuckle at the idea that issuing (INSERT FAVORITE BRAND HERE) pistols would be better then the M9. Lend your Glock 17/HK USP/SIG P226 to Cletus for two decades, don’t change the recoil springs, slap in substandard ProMags and use it in the Middle East. I’ll bet it won’t do any better at all. It’s a sad fact that no matter how tough you make a gun, there’s an airman, Marine, sailor, and soldier out there who can break it.

The 1911 used to suffer the same badmouthing in the late 70s and early 80s as the M9 does now. And they had suffered LONGER...There are many USGI 1911s that only the frame is original. Everything else is a 70s or 80s replacement part.

Maybe we should just.... buy more m9s? And quit using the fracking things until they fall apart?

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The US made Glock 17 or 19 would be a good choice and inexpensive.
    (feel free to cut & paste this comment the next time this topic is posted).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Beretta responds: Beretta USA Presents Next Generation Handgun to the Department of Defense - General - News

They present it as an ECP. If the Army picks it up, then no need for a competition and Beretta wins again. If not, then Beretta has their entry to the competition already in place, and they can tout interchangeability of some parts and in place logistics (e.g. holsters and such -- I'll bet the current mags work in it, even if a new mag is being offered).

Beretta could have offered an ECP for a better lighter cheaper pistol any time in the last few years. Amazing what a pending RFP will get you (and that may have been the real motivator for the Army to announce yet another handgun competition).

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    This issue has been kicking around for years.

Nato standarization of pistol rounds went out the window with the FN57 and the HK 4.6x30 making a lot of ingress.

The brits recently ditched the high power for Glocks.

The germans seem to be pushing the PDW concept with the 4.6x30 MP7, but they retain the G8 pistol in 9mm

The Belgians no longer stock or use 9mm at all.

I don't know if there is enough sentiment to go back to 45 or not. I know the Marines got some 45s.

But standardization is LONG out the window in the pistol area in Nato. So that may open the door.

One thing is for sure... and this was an issue with the M1911A1 and M9s. When it comes to pistols, they need to buy replacements once in a while!!!!!!!!!

They used the same damn 45s from WWII way into the 80s. It's the same thing with the M9s.

The M9s are the firearm equivalent to abused biker gang groupies. Twenty years ago, those M9s probably handled and shot like a proper Beretta. Then, Airman Snuffy was issued his. After that duty rotation Sgt. Schmuckatelli drew it, and then Colonel Nolube picked it up next. After twenty years of strangers shooting, carrying ,clearing, loading, shooting, hammering tent pegs and occasionally cleaning them, the M9s in service today are in bad shape, So you have people deploying to combat zones with lackluster to non-existent handgun training, issued ammunition which requires precise shot placement to stop a threat and it’s fired out of a metal-framed duty pistol with no or little basic maintenance over the course of two decades. Oh, and let’s use contract parkerized magazines which trap contaminants, too. And folks wonder why there are problems. That’s why I have to chuckle at the idea that issuing (INSERT FAVORITE BRAND HERE) pistols would be better then the M9. Lend your Glock 17/HK USP/SIG P226 to Cletus for two decades, don’t change the recoil springs, slap in substandard ProMags and use it in the Middle East. I’ll bet it won’t do any better at all. It’s a sad fact that no matter how tough you make a gun, there’s an airman, Marine, sailor, and soldier out there who can break it.

The 1911 used to suffer the same badmouthing in the late 70s and early 80s as the M9 does now. And they had suffered LONGER...There are many USGI 1911s that only the frame is original. Everything else is a 70s or 80s replacement part.

Maybe we should just.... buy more m9s? And quit using the fracking things until they fall apart?

Quit using commen sense.

An interesting story my dad told me once: As a young draftee in Germany in the mid 50's, dad was issued a 1911 that he couldn't qualify with. He said it rattled worse than the farm tractor he drove as a civie. Unit armorer said it was a WW 1 gun. He was then issued an Mr Carbine which he qualified handily with.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Quit using commen sense.

An interesting story my dad told me once: As a young draftee in Germany in the mid 50's, dad was issued a 1911 that he couldn't qualify with. He said it rattled worse than the farm tractor he drove as a civie. Unit armorer said it was a WW 1 gun. He was then issued an Mr Carbine which he qualified handily with.

Not just with guns, but pretty much anything that can be strung along just a little bit longer, the military will keep around. Unless some politician or their buddies can make a buck off getting rid of it.

When I was in, there were trucks in my motor pool that had manufacture plates that dated them back to WWII. The range had M1s and even a few Springfields in the rack in their armory. I can understand keeping a few pieces around for nostalgia, and keeping people familiar with older gear that they may encounter, but the entire military working with outdated gear that is older than most of the members parents is kinda frightening.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    When I was in, there were trucks in my motor pool that had manufacture plates that dated them back to WWII. The range had M1s and even a few Springfields in the rack in their armory. I can understand keeping a few pieces around for nostalgia, and keeping people familiar with older gear that they may encounter, but the entire military working with outdated gear that is older than most of the members parents is kinda frightening.

Funny thing is they could sell them to civilians on the open market and cover the cost of new equipment but we would rather scrap it and sell the scrap to China at a discount. Even the trucks collectors pay big money for.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Maybe, just maybe, they should go back to the 1911. I presume there are many still in the inventory, but not used. Some rehab, and they'll be good to go. I don't see the sense in buying all new pistols. I had a 92G, and was unimpressed. Too large for small hands, atrocious trigger without work, poor sights out of the box. The US can do better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Ft Wayne
    THe army should replace there current inventory of berettas but only because they are pretty much all worn out. The army shouldnt do 1911s, not because there is anything wrong with them but it is not an ideal weapon for the army. I do know this. the options all have to be all metal, double stacked, and 9mm. Dont get in a pissing contest over 45 vs 9 on this either.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My experience with the M9 wasn't bad, honestly. Like most US arms, they just need a bit of TLC, not even a lot. It's a lot heavier than it ought to be, and after (as others have already said) 20 years or so of abuse, they do loosen up and generally show their age. Perhaps my biggest complaint is that they're blued, or at least were when they were younger before it wore off. All you have to do is say "we're going to the field" and all the M9's in the arms room automatically rust over. I know some of the high speed units are using different side arms, to include Glocks, but I don't see the Army as a whole getting away from a pistol with a safety, at all, ever. The people running the show just don't think outside that box. And I don't see them getting away from the 9mm either. But time (probably a long time, it is the military) will tell.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Ft Wayne
    I dont think the army should ever get away from a safety. FOr all of the you who have been there done that you have seen the level of stupidity and or familiarity for firearms. How many accidental or negligent discharges have you seen . I dont know how far outside the box you could get with soldiers. You must always remember that we train for our weakest soldiers.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    There are not many usable 1911s left in the system anymore. D.O.D began to realize that back in the early 1950s. They are pretty much all worn out and have been rebuilt numerous times. Personally I think if our military training is so poor (and it is) that "clearing barrels" are required to prevent "accidents" at every Post maybe we should just issue them revolvers. The D.O.D. position has for many years been that the individual soldier does not "need" a sidearm of any type. Just a .22 rifle and a radio (better hope that radio works).:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, I wasn't advocating that we should get away from safeties. I merely meant that it will never happen, which makes the discussion of issuing a new sidearm without a safety academic. The clearing barrel thing is true. Frankly, there's an abundance of caution throughout the Army in a lot of areas that pushes leaders to make the kinds of decisions that put a clearing barrel next to every building, flagpole, smoke shack, tree on post. It's the same thinking that's got soldiers wearing pt belts to the shower to protect them from scalding hot water. To me, the solution is to retrain the "weakest soldier." If that fails, hen perhaps he/she is in the wrong organization. But once again, the discussion is academic.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Glocks will never ever happen with the us military, unless they make a special version with a real safety. And probably exposed hammer. That being said. Army should go to the FiveseveN.

Top Bottom