• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sure there are other ways to live
    Just ask France, Poland, Belgium, etc. how they enjoyed living under someone else's rule.
    Or Korea, China, Philippines, etc. how they felt.

Every gun, or box of ammo you buy is money that could go for the same hospitals and schools.
    But just as every person needs to determine what they need for defense, so does each country.
    It may not be Strawberry Fields Forever, or Imagine.. but it's humanity.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed . . . . The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a brick school in more than thirty cities . . . . It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals . . . . We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat . . . . We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people . . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron . . . . Is there no other way the world may live?”

I don't need the gun on my nightstand either. Maybe the farts from all the extra cabbage I could buy would deter that nasty old burgler that wants in my house.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed . . . . The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a brick school in more than thirty cities . . . . It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals . . . . We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat . . . . We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people . . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron . . . . Is there no other way the world may live?”

puppiesrainbowsunicorns.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well. There's something I don't like about Ike. National defense is a constitutional responsibility of the US federal government. Providing for the poor is not. How much we spend on national defense is debatable. I don't think we need to spend nearly what we do. If it's so much that Pentagon accounting is too convoluted to audit, we need to reign that in.

But that's a much different conversation than trying to say that taking the money from the people who actually earned it, and spending it on a constitutional responsibility like national defense, is the moral equivalence of stealing from people who didn't earn it. That's just absurd. Nothing was stolen from the poor that was ever theirs to begin with.

You see someone hungry, cold, not properly clothed, to the extent you can, YOU as an individual, have a moral obligation to help those needier. I'm fine with advocating for less military spending. But the savings should be passed on to the people who paid the taxes, or, as big as our debt is, I'd be even more fond of using that savings to charge less to our children's future.

Compassion shaming just doesn't work when your primary advocacy is to vote for the government to be compassionate for you. Voting for other people to relieve your personal obligation does not impress me at all of your compassion. You can't be compassionate with other people's money.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well. There's something I don't like about Ike. National defense is a constitutional responsibility of the US federal government. Providing for the poor is not. How much we spend on national defense is debatable. I don't think we need to spend nearly what we do. If it's so much that Pentagon accounting is too convoluted to audit, we need to reign that in.

But that's a much different conversation than trying to say that taking the money from the people who actually earned it, and spending it on a constitutional responsibility like national defense, is the moral equivalence of stealing from people who didn't earn it. That's just absurd. Nothing was stolen from the poor that was ever theirs to begin with.

You see someone hungry, cold, not properly clothed, to the extent you can, YOU as an individual, have a moral obligation to help those needier. I'm fine with advocating for less military spending. But the savings should be passed on to the people who paid the taxes, or, as big as our debt is, I'd be even more fond of using that savings to charge less to our children's future.

Compassion shaming just doesn't work when your primary advocacy is to vote for the government to be compassionate for you. Voting for other people to relieve your personal obligation does not impress me at all of your compassion. You can't be compassionate with other people's money.

:yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

ETA: Notice it doesn't say
    "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as the government has done it ... "

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

The whole post was good, but this is where you hit the ball out of the park.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Here's the real footage of the drop...unfortunately night vision, from a drone, with no sound - [video=youtube;5VtXpKPec8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VtXpKPec8E[/video]
    Couldn't find any ground footage at all, sadly.

The ground footage was all destroyed in the blast...;)

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Agree with all you`ve said, except about defense spending. The surest way to not have to use our military might, is for our military might to be so overwhelmingly superior that it just cannot make sense to contest it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agree with all you`ve said, except about defense spending. The surest way to not have to use our military might, is for our military might to be so overwhelmingly superior that it just cannot make sense to contest it.

I think we can be much more efficient with our military spending. I'm okay with having an overwhelming force. But I'm not okay with wasteful spending. I'm also not okay with the crony military industrial complex. Solving those two issues doesn't deplete our military might. Is there a "too much military spending" for you? I think we've gone far past that. A dollar's worth of military spending doesn't necessarily give us a dollars worth of military might.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

I think you read a bit too far into this. The point is that there's a tradeoff between 'defense' spending and spending in other areas. We waste entirely too much on defense spending. Billions on a new carrier group is real money which could be spent on infrastructure or elsewhere.

Top Bottom