• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 1911 has a leg up on most other pistols in this category; its heavier. Marine training loves using weapons as clubs as a last resort, and a 1911 is probably a pretty good club if all else fails.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    it's about time they went back to the 45......son-in-law was in iraq in 2003 and said about ever iraqie had a 1911 and he said a lot of the troops felt out gunned with there 9mm's....

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Any one who feels outgunned by having a low maintainence 9mm needs to learn to shoot , if they feel put gunned Becuase someone else had a bigger bullet they should learn math.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The 1911 is a high maintainence gun.

The m9 is more maintainence I tensve than a glock, but neither need as much as a 1911.

where you get your info?.....i have 1911's that haven't been cleaned in over 1k rd's.....i can slap a mag in i one it will run just as a clean one....

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    My information comes from many sources. Observation is a big one. History the other main influence.

Guys Like Hilton Yam of 10-8 performance and LAV make too much money teaching people how to fix and maintain the 1911 for me to believe that they just have some ax to grind when they spell out honestly their opinions on a fighting pistol. I have a good friend that has taken a LAV 1911 pistol smithing course, the students of that class were given his opinion on the 1911, an honest evaluation of pros and cons as well as a some advice. It went along the lines of the following: if you aren't willing to spend the time and money to learn to maintain your 1911, buy a sig, a glock or something more modern. The 1911 is an enthusiasts gun, and it takes a strong dedication to the platform to maintain it, to learn it, and to use it well. Both Hilton Yam and LAv have fixed an carried more 1911's than most people have seen pictures of, I feel confident and heading their advice on the subject.

I have talked to numerous gunsmiths on my short time on the earth who make more money fixing 1911's than any other pistol, this tells me something, either the other pistols and used less, can be fixed with little skill, or don't break as often.

I have numerous friends that die hard 1911 fans, they have always been honest with the amount of work they put into maintenance, the hours they have sunk into research, and the issues they have had to deal with by adhering to the 1911 platform for training and play.

Talk honestly to men that have carried, trained with, instructed around, or competed with the 1911 platform, few have the enthusiastic fanboyism that so populates the internet. Many top shooters in the world compete with Glock, Cz, Sig, the reason isn't simply sponsorship. Look at the number of police agencies that have switched from the 1911. While many factors contribute to that decision reliability and ease of maintenance have been a leading factor, ( isn't the glock armorers course completed in 8 hours?)

124 grain 9mm has the same if not slightly more potential energy than a 230 grain .45 does. capacity also favors the 9mm as does recoil management.

Flame on if you wish, the for fighting guns .45 and the 1911 offer no benefit but a marginally larger permanent wound cavity, by diameter.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I wanted to divergre from the 9mm vs .45 conversation long enough to say that I own the Springfield MC Operator. In addition to being a great shooter, it looks pretty sharp. I am sure that the Corps will love the Black on Green look of them :D

Now back to your regularly scheduled arguement.

Top Bottom