• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neil221211

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I've tried to find the information online but to no avail. Does anyone know if a US resident is eligible for an LTCH. My wife recently got her residency in January of this year. She is a little iffy on guns. I'm not usually home much during the day and would like to try to get her used to shooting and such on the weekends or whenever we have any free time. Thanks in advance.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    There is actually a thread on this somewhere... *ponders that*
    I'll look while someone else actually answers the question.

Just out of curiosity, what nationality is your wife? :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana law says yes, provided Federal law also says yes:

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    (e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
    (1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
    (2) is of good character and reputation;
    (3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
    (4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;

I'm pretty sure that a legal resident alien on a non-immigrant visa is not a prohibited person, but I can't find the federal statute that spells out who can have a handgun and who can't.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Indiana law says yes, provided Federal law also says yes:

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    (e) If it appears to the superintendent that the applicant:
    (1) has a proper reason for carrying a handgun;
    (2) is of good character and reputation;
    (3) is a proper person to be licensed; and
    (4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;

I'm pretty sure that a legal resident alien on a non-immigrant visa is not a prohibited person, but I can't find the federal statute that spells out who can have a handgun and who can't.
    Exactly. And although I haven't researched this issue specifically, here's the summary of what federal law says on who can't own a gun (from the NRA-ILA web site):

[SIZE=+1]"Ineligible Persons[/SIZE]
    The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:
    • Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
    • Fugitives from justice.
    • Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
    • Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
    • Illegal aliens.
    • Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
    • Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
    • Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
    • Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.
    • Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
    • Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
    Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition. Under limited conditions, relief from disability may be obtained from the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, or through a pardon, expungement, restoration of rights, or setting aside of a conviction."

So under Indiana law, if your wife doesn't fall into any of these categories, I think she should be able to get a LTCH.

Top Bottom