• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just got word that a seat opened up for a fishing trip to Canada next week and I said count me in. Problem... lack of gear.

Any place for used spinning and bait caster rod and reel gear here in Indy? I am not interested in dropping loads of cash for new. I have a spinning outfit that will work but need a bait caster and a back up. I am in the market for 6'+ med+ action for trolling. Not looking for tackle, just rods and reels. I have hit the pawn shops and flea stuff but no go on anything decent.

Any good ideas? I have checked Craigslist and the listings here too. Thanks to all.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd donate some rods to your cause, but I don't live up there anymore.

When are you goin?

I could ask a co-worker who lives up in Greenwood to bring them up if you'd be willing to go to meet him.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would check to see if the guides will provide the rods. I usually find it easier just to let them take care of the tackle.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd donate some rods to your cause, but I don't live up there anymore.

When are you goin?

I could ask a co-worker who lives up in Greenwood to bring them up if you'd be willing to go to meet him.

That is very kind of you. I just talked to my friend up here and he should be able to hook me up with a few things but again, that is very kind of you to offer.

Friend of a friend has some family property and cabins on Dogtooth Lake just east of Kenora, ON. so it will be walleye and northern for dinner all next week. First time for me on a lake in Canada and I just about :poop::poop: myself when the opportunity presented itself.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    westside bait/tackle, they have used rods and reels, they will cut bargains also. Downtown Indy near the zoo, sorry I do not know adress I go by memory.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would check to see if the guides will provide the rods. I usually find it easier just to let them take care of the tackle.

This was the case with my Erie trips. Spent a bunch of time and money getting my stuff just right only to use their gear 90% of the time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In the early 80's when I was in college I bought a lot of gear in garage sales. The first time was by accident and the stuff I scored was great, still have all of it. guy died, widow was selling it. He was old and most of it was collectible even then but a lot of it functional as well. To this day one of the knives from that day sits in my kitchen on my Boos chopping block. It was his bait knife but I refinished the wood grips, cleaned up the blade and I like it in the kitchen.

It is also how I tried out fly fishing without spending a lot of money. Those rigs are still good to this day and some are just for collection purposes now, too valuable.

I also did it to buy cheap saltwater gear. When I lived in Indy I often saw a lot of decent gear for sale in and around trailer parks along Post Rd. A lot of cat fishing rigs are good enough for saltwater.

With Memorial Day coming and people clearing out garages and of course old people who died during the winter, their gear will be for sale.

I still have one rod tube that is filled with nothing but rods I never use. I just plan to donate them to a local Scout camp after I move. As long as I have 30 to 50 decent rigs I am happy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom