• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I took the family to Cincinnati over the weekend and decided to take a pistol along. I read up on Ohio's CC laws and kept a pdf copy of the reciprocity agreement on my phone. No issues, but it did feel weird... dunno why but I did get over that feeling after a while. Nothing to report other than I got to use the license! :D

Last edited:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Carry in Ohio is one of the main reasons my wife and I obtained our Utah CFP.....That and the near "universality" of their CFP allows one to carry in many other states as well.
    I'm glad Your trip was uneventful in a good way. :)

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    My wife and I both have our Utah Non-Resident permits also for the same reason. Living so close to the border of Ohio and Indiana the risk of crossing that line while carrying was too great not to be legal.

We took our classes in Eaton, Ohio from a guy that does the Ohio Classes as well. By doing this we were all able to learn the specifics of carrying in Ohio which was kind of complicated in the car.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to get my Utah permit. *sigh*

I have long recommended the UT CFP in addition to our LTCH.

I like it, but at this point, I have to recommend the AZ CWP as better and covering more states. With UT, you get MN and WA, but not NV, KS, or NM.
    With AZ, the reverse is true, but those are the only differences in coverage.
    The UT requires their specific training class (can be expensive) and $65.25 to obtain, with renewal being $10 after five years.
    The AZ requires a training class (many qualify) and $60.00 to obtain, with renewal being $43.00 after five years.

(AZ's training requirement may be met, according to their statute, as follows:

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following: 1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
    2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
    3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
    5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
    6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
    7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
    8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

I already have my UT. For $10, it would not make sense to not keep it. I may get my AZ also, in part depending on the resolution of HR 822. I don't travel much, but with all three, there are only 12 states that will forbid me to carry: CA, CT, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and SC... and I don't have much use for any of them.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

dirtdawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    SW Ohio
    Which is silly, since no one can see ya OCing while driving....unless you unholster it and wave it out the window.

In Ohio, the car itself is what conceals the gun. What Hammerhead meant (I know- presumptive) is that you may open carry without a license in Ohio. However, you need a CHL to carry in a car (or motorcycle).

We took our classes in Eaton, Ohio from a guy that does the Ohio Classes as well. By doing this we were all able to learn the specifics of carrying in Ohio which was kind of complicated in the car.

That would be John Farquhar of Mad Duck Training I highly recommend his classes.

Also, the silly Ohio rules about how to carry in a vehicle went away on September 30, so feel free to twirl your pistol on your finger as you drive:):

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have long recommended the UT CFP in addition to our LTCH.

I like it, but at this point, I have to recommend the AZ CWP as better and covering more states. With UT, you get MN and WA, but not NV, KS, or NM.
    With AZ, the reverse is true, but those are the only differences in coverage.
    The UT requires their specific training class (can be expensive) and $65.25 to obtain, with renewal being $10 after five years.
    The AZ requires a training class (many qualify) and $60.00 to obtain, with renewal being $43.00 after five years.

(AZ's training requirement may be met, according to their statute, as follows:

I already have my UT. For $10, it would not make sense to not keep it. I may get my AZ also, in part depending on the resolution of HR 822. I don't travel much, but with all three, there are only 12 states that will forbid me to carry: CA, CT, HI, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and SC... and I don't have much use for any of them.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

Unfortunately you need to make it 13. NH only recognizes Utah's permit if you are a resident of Utah.
    I learned this in my MA license course and mentioned how Icould carry in NH. He then corrected me.To get a NH one Iwill have to pay $50 and get them a copy of my MA license. I suspect they do this because MA does not recognize theirs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Arizona non-resident permit, you say?

Interesting...

And if I could get away without going to Ohio, I would!

But, as it turns out, I married into a family of Buckeyes. There's folks near Defiance...folks in Medina... Folks not too far from Decatur, IN... I'm there a LOT.

-J-

Top Bottom