• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    So...I signed up with USPSA and I plan on shooting my first match on the 15th in Fort Wayne.

I went through my magazine and my rule book and it looks like I could qualify for 2 divisions. It may not matter what I choose, but I was curious to see what INGO thinks.

Being new, I am not concerned about scoring right now. I am sure eventually I will be...but not for now. I don't want to get DQ'd and I am looking to have safe fun.

The gun I will be using is a Beretta 92 that Wilson Combat is doing a little work on. My backup gun is my Glock 19 with a ported barrel. Both of these are iron sighted guns. I would prefer to load my magazines to full capacity. I would also prefer to be able to move my holster and mag pouches forward of my hips some....but not in the appendix position.

If I read the rules correctly, both of these setups would work with either Limited or Open divisions. Is there any reason I would want to choose one over the other?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So...I signed up with USPSA and I plan on shooting my first match on the 15th in Fort Wayne.

I went through my magazine and my rule book and it looks like I could qualify for 2 divisions. It may not matter what I choose, but I was curious to see what INGO thinks.

Being new, I am not concerned about scoring right now. I am sure eventually I will be...but not for now. I don't want to get DQ'd and I am looking to have safe fun.

The gun I will be using is a Beretta 92 that Wilson Combat is doing a little work on. My backup gun is my Glock 19 with a ported barrel. Both of these are iron sighted guns. I would prefer to load my magazines to full capacity. I would also prefer to be able to move my holster and mag pouches forward of my hips some....but not in the appendix position.

If I read the rules correctly, both of these setups would work with either Limited or Open divisions. Is there any reason I would want to choose one over the other?

The ported Glock would only be allowed in Open division. Porting and compensators are not allowed in Limited division.

If you want to load your mags all the way, go with Limited for the Beretta.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The ported Glock would only be allowed in Open division. Porting and compensators are not allowed in Limited division.

If you want to load your mags all the way, go with Limited for the Beretta.

Do Both!
    April will be a classifier match in Fort Wayne. If weather doesn't completely suck, we usually let folks go through 2x if they wish. You can shoot the Beretta in Limited and the glock in open, or the Beretta in both (but not the glock in limited, as rhino said).

Classifiers are a great way to get feet wet in the sport and start off your adventure with a classification right off the bat, vs having to get several matches in.

I'll be shooting open and PCC.

:)

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'll add that I would choose Limited if I were you w/ the Beretta.

-Not having a dot is a huge disadvantage in open.
    -Barrel porting doesn't really gain you a whole lot, especially with 9 minor.
    -Magazines are the other big difference between the two divisions, but it's not a big differentiator in score (especially at a classifier). "big sticks" might save you a couple of reloads over the course of a match.

but you could shoot both divisions as I mentioned above just to get classified or for the fun of it, even using the same gun in both. Lots of guys have open classifications that don't have "open guns."

-rvb

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Limited will be where you fit best with the equipment you currently have. I'd still do as rvb suggests and shoot both if you make it to the qualifier match. Shoot OPEN first as a "practice" run and then shoot LIMITED the second time through. That way you are warmed up and can hopefully chase any butterflies away.

You might look into 20 round mags for your 92. Just check to make sure they don't exceed the legal length. If they are legal, you'll have a pretty good setup for a modest amount of $. Most Open guns I see even at local matches cost more than a reliable used car.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    agreed
    shoot the 92 in limited, shooting the glock without any optics and you'll be at a disadvantage in open. but it's your choice

(most) open guns are big bucks, personally i shoot an old springfield single stack 45acp in open....
    it's the gun i started with back in the mid 90's, i tried going "hi tech" with a custom pra ord 38 super, i hated the gun, and it was finicky, i sold it and went back to my .45. i enjoy hooting the 45 a LOT more than i ever did the 38 super.

i'm the minority, single stack 45 in open, my open shotgun is a win1300 pump gun with no speedloaders :runaway:

you can get started with a safe holster, mag carriers, 3 or 4 mags, and a good stiff belt.

have fun and enjoy yourself

:cheers:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I'd consider limiting your mags to 10 rounds...since you're kinda new the reload practice could be helpful.
    I'd go slow, be super safe and have fun!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'd consider limiting your mags to 10 rounds...since you're kinda new the reload practice could be helpful.
    I'd go slow, be super safe and have fun!

I usually recommend the opposite. Not because your logic is flawed. But rather with scoring, rules, nerves and so many things to absorb. Take the reloads and stage break down out of things as much as possible. Leaving the reloads out for the first few matches allows the new shooter to absorb the other stuff and focus on getting his or her feet on the ground.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    For the typical new shooter it doesn’t matter a whole lot. Unless they show up to their first match already having mag extensions to hold more than 16 rounds and don’t have makeup shots on steel for instance, it evens out pretty quick. For instance, 16 round mags and a couple make up shots takes 3 mags on a 32-round course. 10 round mags and a couple make up shots takes 4 mags... just one extra reload. I don’t usually try to steer them one way or the other, just explain the difference. Most choose limited over production...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You might look into 20 round mags for your 92. Just check to make sure they don't exceed the legal length.

Beretta 92 20 round mags fit the 170 gauge (open legal), not the 140 (not limited legal).
    Well, that’s the case with my ~15 year old versions... maybe they’ve got something different these days?

funny story, at my very first uspsa match which I shot in Fredericksburg, va, I was squaded with a Beretta employee. Near the end of the match he comment you don’t see a lot of guys shooting berettas any more.... and he hands me two in-wrapper 20s. I was like wow, uspsa is awesome! Haha.

-rvb

Top Bottom