• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Like the title says, I'm wanting to try my hand at USPSA in 2022. I have some questions. I hope they aren't too stupid.

Is this gear enough/acceptable?
    Ruger 9E (It is on the approved USPSA list)
    Serpa holster (Just don't go there...:lmfao:)
    5 mags
    Daltech Force Super-bio Belt (It's what I have right now. With experience, could/will change.)
    4 cheapo mag carriers (If I stick with it, these will change when I decide on a belt setup.)

Do I need to join USPSA before taking part in a match, or do they allow a match or two before joining? What is the membership fee? I couldn't find it on the site.

From looking through the rules, I would have to pull the trigger after the course of fire. My Ruger has a mag safety (i.e. a block of aluminum that blocks the firing pin when no mag is in). Would the RO allow me to insert an empty mag after showing clear or let me not dry fire after the course of fire? Do I need to take apart the slide and remove it? I'm sure a few times won't hurt the firing pin, but I don't really want to take the chance. I hope this makes sense.

Any other tips or pointers? I know next to nothing, obviously! :) Thanks!

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    Welcome!

That gear would be good enough to get started for sure. Altho (and you alluded to it) moving on from the serpa is probably a good idea at some point. You will find that learning the strategy of the sport and what basic skills you need to hone will make gains for you MUCH faster than new equipment, especially right out of the gate. And as someone who wasted plenty of money on various iterations of competition gear before i got my guns and belts where i wanted them, you’ll save yourself by keeping an eye out and observing the most common gear being used by shooters that obviously have time in the sport and skill developed, and then picking and choosing what fits your budget and interests from there. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

You do not need to be a member of USPSA to shoot a local match. But if you decide you like it, the classification system is a great way to track skill progress and keep you motivated to compete with others at comparable skill, as well as push you to move up.

As for the mag safety, yes you would be able to insert an empty mag to dryfire the gun after a course of fire. Keeping one handy and in your pocket for that purpose would be a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    What Drew said.

Come to a match. We will get you through it safely. You will have a blast.

Membership is $40/year and not required to shoot a match.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Removing the mag disconnect is easy and is legal under USPSA rules. See appendix D4 22.1.

The other advantage of removing the magazine disconnect is that you can dry fire your gun without potentially damaging it.

Safe & slow is the way to start.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you haven’t shot a steel challenge match I would highly recommend doing that first, it will help you get used to the range commands and basic safety rules while under the stress of the clock. Most steel stages don’t incorporate movement so there’s less to process while staying safe. Plus you’re probably more likely to catch a steel match or two through the winter.
    Reading up on how the scoring and penalties work is a good education during the off season, I shot 5-6 matches without knowing how much a miss hurts your score.

I probably would pull the mag disconnect just to simplify gun handling.

Like longbeard said come on out and everyone will help you get thru your first match, all in all it’s a pretty friendly community. Just let people know you’re new to it. The perfect time to introduce yourself is during set up before the match:)

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Thank you all for the advice, thus far (and the banter! :):).

I was looking at the match at Parabellum on the 23rd. Would a classifier be a bad match for a newbie? Most of the ones I've seen posted about on here are during the week. I live in Muncie, and, while definitely not a long drive, could be difficult to get there on time, let alone early. I don't have a set end of my work day, and, depending on when I leave work, the traffic could be a bear!

I'm definitely not opposed to a steel match. The ones at Riley might be doable, but I didn't see any on their schedule. I saw one (Friday Night Steel) at Marion County F&G on their schedule for the 14th. That would probably be one I could attend, since I'm off that week. I would even be able to go early, help with setup, and talk to some people before everything gets started.

I've looked up how to remove the mag disconnect some time ago. I'll have to see if FuhrerTube has removed all of those videos.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Thanks, Marvin!! I actually Googled it after I made that last post. It took longer to search for and watch the video than to actually remove it. :rockwoot:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I was looking at the match at Parabellum on the 23rd. Would a classifier be a bad match for a newbie? Most of the ones I've seen posted about on here are during the week. I live in Muncie, and, while definitely not a long drive, could be difficult to get there on time, let alone early. I don't have a set end of my work day, and, depending on when I leave work, the traffic could be a bear!

I'm definitely not opposed to a steel match. The ones at Riley might be doable, but I didn't see any on their schedule. I saw one (Friday Night Steel) at Marion County F&G on their schedule for the 14th. That would probably be one I could attend, since I'm off that week. I would even be able to go early, help with setup, and talk to some people before everything gets started.
    You might consider Atlanta Conservation Club once the weather allows in the spring. Outdoor range but once things start again in the spring they have something happening almost every weekend, no need to be a member to participate. May be closer FOR you than Parabellum or MCFG. And they are always happy to have a few extra hands and very welcoming.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It seems like this time of year match directors kind of run on a tentative schedule, if the weather is looking bearable they’ll schedule something early to mid week.
    Steel challenge isn’t a prerequisite by any means but it is a good way to get your feet wet. Friday Nite Steel was the first few matches I ever attended and they are exceptionally beginner friendly. Atlanta Conservation is probably pretty close to you and I’m sure they will be hosting steel matches in the spring. USPSA there is kind of up in the air at this point but I imagine some of us regulars will step up and host a few matches there once it thaws out. Longbeard was kind enough to take it on last year

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    You might consider Atlanta Conservation Club once the weather allows in the spring. Outdoor range but once things start again in the spring they have something happening almost every weekend, no need to be a member to participate. May be closer FOR you than Parabellum or MCFG. And they are always happy to have a few extra hands and very welcoming.
    Definitely! I've noticed a lot of posts about matches there during the spring/summer in the past.

Top Bottom