• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dont sweat it. The Utah class is mainly focused on the UT gun laws and basic gun knowledge. Its nothing to worry about.

Its so basic I missed the first 20 minutes of the class because the instructor told me the wrong start time. It took 5 minutes to cover that info after class because it was the basic firearms knowledge (parts of the gun, parts of the cartridge, etc) and since Ive been around guns my whole life I essentially "tested out" of that part of the class by telling the instructor about the items I was handed, and with a little prodding gave them the answers they were looking for. Since I could demonstrate I knew what was being taught, I was still granted my permit.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The best preparation you can do is to drink lots of coffee before and during the class. Just don't get too jittery to do the fingerprints.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    The class I took, I got fingerprinted (card to be sent in) and picture taken (passport photo). I suggest look presentable and be careful of ink stains on your clothes.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Dont sweat it. The Utah class is mainly focused on the UT gun laws and basic gun knowledge. Its nothing to worry about.

Its so basic I missed the first 20 minutes of the class because the instructor told me the wrong start time. It took 5 minutes to cover that info after class because it was the basic firearms knowledge (parts of the gun, parts of the cartridge, etc) and since Ive been around guns my whole life I essentially "tested out" of that part of the class by telling the instructor about the items I was handed, and with a little prodding gave them the answers they were looking for. Since I could demonstrate I knew what was being taught, I was still granted my permit.

Yep...when I took my Utah class the instructor held up a revolver and asked-"what is this?"

No one answered so I said-"Smith and Wesson Model 66 K frame, 4" barrel."

He laughed and said-"Revolver would have been fine...but good eye."

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Why are you wanting the UT permit? You only pick up four states that do not recognize the IN LTCH: DE, NE, WA, and WV. VA may soon be added to that list, assuming the current Gov. and AG go through with cancelling recognition/reciprocity with 25 states, including Indiana but not Utah, on February 1, 2016.

So, unless you travel to DE, NE, WA, WV, or VA on a regular basis, there is no need for the UT permit. If, however, you visit any of those four/five states somewhat regularly, press on with the UT permit.

tweezybird

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I'm taking it from my basic firearms instructor in Kokomo. I'm sure I can pass just wanted a heads up on content. Was hoping to just be able to send in the prints KPD took for my IN permit? No? Thanks for the heads up on being presentable. I thought I would have to go Walgreens or somewhere for the passport photo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm taking it from my basic firearms instructor in Kokomo. I'm sure I can pass just wanted a heads up on content. Was hoping to just be able to send in the prints KPD took for my IN permit? No? Thanks for the heads up on being presentable. I thought I would have to go Walgreens or somewhere for the passport photo.

Check with your instructor. Mine took care of both the prints and photo after class and was included in the fee.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    So I was wondering about states with reciprocity with Indiana verse getting the Utah permit. I found this, https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/. It doesn't look much different than the map here Utah Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Map.o is there a real advantage to having the Utah permit?

When I got mine it was for Ohio (which now recognizes IN) and MN (which no longer recognizes UT). When the time comes I will renew it because it is cheaper to maintain and you never can tell what state may change their mind next.

For you I would look and see if any of the extra states are places you might visit and want to carry. If the answer is you might, consider getting it now instead of waiting until you get ready to go.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    So I was wondering about states with reciprocity with Indiana verse getting the Utah permit. I found this, https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/. It doesn't look much different than the map here Utah Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Map.o is there a real advantage to having the Utah permit?

Do you travel somewhere that does not allow carry with your Indiana permit, but would allow carry with the Utah permit? If so, you have your answer. Utah is cheap and easy to get for a few more states - for me it was "why not." Since then a few things have changed, MN was dropped for example. I prefer this site: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry as it's a little more flashy and has customizable maps. I'm thinking of getting the NV permit in April while I'm out there on vacation just for the heck of it. It would add NM and MN to my list of states...

Top Bottom