Utility O/U for sporting clays, skeet, and trap.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HD1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    Columbus
    Looking at the Browning CX White and the 725 sporting for an all around O/U.
    Thoughts on the 2?
    Wouldn’t mind buying used but not sure where to find them. Looked at IGC.
    What are some of the other sites that you visit for sporting shotguns?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Looking at the Browning CX White and the 725 sporting for an all around O/U.
    Thoughts on the 2?
    Wouldn’t mind buying used but not sure where to find them. Looked at IGC.
    What are some of the other sites that you visit for sporting shotguns?
    Here are my thoughts...
    I have a Citori CX and absolutely love shooting it. I mostly shoot trap but some sporting clays as well. My daughter shoots a Citori CXS and it's an equally nice gun. Hers is a little more flat shooting as it's designed to be more of a 50/50 patterning gun vs the CX which is designed to be more of a 60/40 gun. I personally have very little experience with the 725. But, I bet Dean will be around soon enough and he can tell you how pleased he is with his.
    If you are looking for an all around gun, the CX is pretty darn good. I had an adjustable comb added to mine and couldn't be happier with it.
    One downside to the Citori, and about the only one I'm really aware of is the angle of the lower firing pin seems to cause the tip to chip over time. So, if you shoot a good amount keep a set around. They are easy to swap out just watch a video on it.

If I were looking to buy a new all around gun, I would be in contact with Guns Unlimited in Omaha. They have some Browning exclusives that are good options. Such as sporting guns with a parallel comb stock. But the one that has caught my eye is their Browning Universal hi post with an adjustable comb, butt plate and rib. You can adjust it to fit and shoot whatever pattern you want. Also reach out to Target Shotguns inc. They have a fantastic reputation and a large selection. But, I've had good experiences dealing with the guys at IGC and they have a great selection.

By the way, welcome to INGO

Last edited:

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I second the Indiana Gun Club. They are currently listing over 900 shotguns in inventory. They have quite a selection available for handling in the shop, all the time. Worth the drive in my opinion from Columbus (IN or OH).

Their assistance with your selection is great and they have more detailed fitting available.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Pw16cwj.jpg

Big fan of my 725 as Thunder mentioned the bottom firing pin is prone to pitting and chipping around the 10k mark or so but it's a very easy part to change out yourself and a great excuse to clean out the internals.

I went with a 725 due to the smaller reciever size it fit me better than the standard Citori. I would suggest getting the model with the adjustable comb so you can fit the gun to yourself. I am very fortunate that my body type is what browning considers "average" so they fit me out of the box very well (not perfectly but close).

These guns will last you the rest of your life if properly cared for and with the correct gunsmith work can be kept running borderline forever. You cannot go wrong with a Browning IMHO.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can swing the extra cost of a 725 over a regularcitori. Do it. The choke system is better, cleaner on the 725.
    There is enough difference in the design of citori to the 725 no parts interchange. Other than the trigger shoe. If your spending new 725 money. A used beretta 694 would be a good option as well. Better gun. Harder to find used though. Not impossible.

If you dont reload dont over look the berreta a400 multi-target. Its a great gun that I have seen guys with 100's of thousands of rounds through. Master class shooters in registered competitions.The multi-traget has an adjustable rib.

Gun broker will is a good place to look and find a dealer to go visit. Better deals in person.
    Guns international as well.

Guns unlimited of ohama orders enough through browning they make special ones for them.

IGC is a big dealer. No one else in the state comes close to his inventory of O/Us. Have to go out of state. He is the only dealer of alot of the higer end brands in the state.

There are very few places selling brownings O/U. Most the public isnt spending over 1k on a single gun. So they really dont show up on shelves in the average gun shop.

HD1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    Columbus
    I’ve been to IGC a couple of weeks ago and mounted several to see which would fit me the best. The Browning 725, CX, and Beretta 686 SP all fit me well. I did like the CX with the slightly shorter LOP. I did not try a 694 as they did not have any used and new would be out of my budget. Wanting to stay sub $3500. First time getting into clays and trying to dip the toes instead of head first.
    IGC was great to work with and if I end up buying new they will get my business! And if something used hits their shelves that fits my bill I will buy there as well. But Waiting is not one of my strong suits.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been to IGC a couple of weeks ago and mounted several to see which would fit me the best. The Browning 725, CX, and Beretta 686 SP all fit me well. I did like the CX with the slightly shorter LOP. I did not try a 694 as they did not have any used and new would be out of my budget. Wanting to stay sub $3500. First time getting into clays and trying to dip the toes instead of head first.
    IGC was great to work with and if I end up buying new they will get my business! And if something used hits their shelves that fits my bill I will buy there as well. But Waiting is not one of my strong suits.
    Any of the three you mentioned, the 725, CX, or 686 are all fine guns. I'm partial to Browning as they seem to fit me a better than Beretta does. With either brand, they hold their value well so long as you take care of it. Only you can decide which one is best for you.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I see used 725's and 694's occasionally at IGC but they always sell FAST (unless left handed).

If you time it right you can get a new 725 sub $3k, Brownkng runs a $200 rebate every Black Friday and the guys at IGC gave me a good deal.

Beretta offers shorter LOP Vittoria labeled guns that might be of interest

Top Bottom