• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I'm Bob. I live in Brownsburg (sounds like the beginning of an AA intro, doesn't it). Currently own no firearms. Giving serious contemplation to buying a shotgun for home defense. Will probably buy a pistol after that. Applied for Lifetime LTCH through Brownsburg PD in mid-November because I thought it was a good idea. They scanned my pudgy, pre-arthritic, little fingers. Nothing heard from ISP since.

Haven't been around firearms very much. No firearms in the home while I was growing up. Shot a guy's S&W .357 and another guy's 9mm of unknown heritage many years ago. Shot a 12ga at some clays at a guy's farm once.

Re: shotgun. Looking for a Remington 870 Tactical/Home Defense on the recommendation of a trusted ex-military friend. Finding they are scarce as hen's teeth in local stores. Thoughts? Assuming I buy one, I need to find someplace to shoot it. Suggestions? Heard there's a conservation club of some sort just southwest of B-burg. Also, an acquaintance suggested MCFG.

Found out about this forum from a bumper sticker at Fort Liberty Firearms in Avon. Oh, boy, another time sink. ;)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Welcome, Bob!

The 870 is pretty ubiquitous, and I would say a fine choice for a versatile home defense weapon. In fact, I have one myself. It's hard to put mitts on just about anything right now, but I would think that the 870 would be easier to find than most. I'm kinda surprised that there isn't at least one on the rack at pretty much any LGS you would visit, but as I say, the walls are pretty bare right now.

I'm a member of MCFG and highly recommend it.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Welcome to the site.

The 870 is a great gun. I think they will be in stores again once the panic buying calms down a bit. Another one to look at is the Mossburg 590. Doing a little searching on here will answer a lot of your questions. But do not feel bad about asking for help.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Welcome to INGO. The Remington 870 is a great shotgun. They are hard to find but if you look you can still locate them for a decent price. I recently picked one up from armslist for about 300 in trade. It was a camo remington 870 supermag with two barrels. They are still out there. Just as a warning once you start buying and shooting you will not want to stop. I started about 4 years ago and have outgrown my 36 gun safe. It is an addictive hobby.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Welcome to INGO.

The gun does not matter, you do. Shoot one of what you think you want and see how you life it.

Remember with shotguns the key is loading.

If you are short limbed (you have small hands because of your short forearms) you need a weapon with a reduced length of pull. Most of the shotguns are just silly as the Cleti will point their shotguns up like they are shooting ducks and thus the makers market them for people with 15" forearms.

Get a class and borrow a gun. Let your software select your hardware.

Let us know if you need hand exercises for shooting and preventing RA.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    welcomeingo.gif
    Good to see you here. This is a great forum for people new to the sport / hobby. There is a wealth of information. I think what sets this apart from other gun forums is that it is a community of like minded people. Keep you eye out for threads on group buy's. You will also notice INGO has pulled together to help out fellow members from time to time. Just watch us for a while and I think you will see what I am talking about.

Just so you know a good opportunity to meet people will be at a Pro Gun Rally on the steps of the state house in downtown Indianapolis on 8 February 2013.

Here is a reference thread on INGO:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hering_at_the_state_capitol_feb_8_2013_a.html

I borrowed this flyer from the above thread.

Wethepeople_zpscc0f985a.jpg

Last edited:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Hello and :welcome: from Cicero :ingo:

You might consider the Mossberg 500 or 590. Very similar to a 870, but less money. Just as good, for your purposes.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Welcome to INGO. The Remington 870 is one of the most common options out there. MCFG is a good range. Not sure if there are any closer/more convenient. As Kirk recommended above, you definitely need to get some training. I came from a no-gun background and trusting a friend to train you is very hit-or-miss. Not everyone that can shoot makes a good trainer. Good luck on your journey. You can dive as deep as your interests take you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Welcome. We use MCFG. I have several shotguns (no 870's anymore) and would be willing to let you shoot them to better get acquainted with the platform. We are busy over the next week or so but if we get some weather we would love to meet you there (you could come as my guest) and let you run some guns after a brief safety speech from my son who is the fun police among us at the range.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I appreciate the welcome from everyone.

Regarding training, is anyone doing shotgun training? Seems like most training I've found is more oriented towards handguns. Of course, a general gun safety course would probably be appropriate.

We are busy over the next week or so but if we get some weather we would love to meet you there (you could come as my guest) and let you run some guns after a brief safety speech from my son who is the fun police among us at the range.

Thanks for the offer, Churchmouse. Maybe in a month or so when the weather warms up, we can meet at MCFG. I drive by there just about every day. I don't think I can PM you yet, but if you could PM me with your contact info, we can make some tentative plans.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom