• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Well I didn't know if I should put this in the pistol thread, the rifle thread, the NFA thread or the gun smithing thread, so here I am. I'm wanting to build an Uzi. As of now I just planned on getting a kit from numrich or apex and building it as an SBR. I like the mini Uzis more, but I can't find a specific "mini Uzi" kit. Pleanty of micro Uzis, which I think are too small. My main questions are what is a good receiver to buy (completed), what places have the best kits you've seen and what barrel/length is suggested? I'm thinking 9-10 in for barrel length. But like I said I don't really know. As I said I'd prefer to do a mini Uzi. All thoughts are welcome.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The mini's are usually made from a cut down full size kit. I am currently doing a few full size kits. I got derailed with some health issues. I am getting ready to get back on a few of my projects. I'm pretty much down to just welding and machining the bolt. I need to get back on that project. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/367989-semi-auto-uzi-build.html

Heres another source for kits and parts D and D Sales - Post ban assembly Uzi Parts You can build from a flat (80%) or even buy a complete receiver (it will have to go threw a FFL).

Global Machine and Tool is the best source for flats. weaponsguild.com has a ton of building tutorials that you might find helpful. Please post your build on this sight if you do build one!

Larry

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Thanks for the info. Do you have more details on what is involved work and price wise to make it a mini? Do they use the same receiver? And to me, it looks like the mini Uzi would be much better than the regular. I am completely new to this, so again I welcome suggestions and comments. The mini Uzis would use the same folding buttstock?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I just tried to respond to your PM but your inbox is full.

Here is the response:
    cop car said:
    So I looked at your thread. You are repairing your receiver? It looks like you kept the welded on sights and then spliced metal in the middle. Is that correct? I'm just looking for my best option here. And I really want a mini Uzi.

There are many ways to build an Uzi. I am using a repair section in the center and using the front and rear sections. Some people also use flats that are full legth. On those you have to cut pieces of the old parts (sight parts). Then there are the 100% receivers.

You have to keep track of USA made parts to meet 922r compliance. There are also 2 different size barrels. Stock size and new 922r compliant size that will not fit the full auto feed ramp. Are you wanting to build a pistol?

I liked the full size the best. Just my preference. There is a full size, Mini and a Micro Uzi. I don't have a lot of info on the mini.

I have no experience with the mini Uzi build. I will point you to the weaponsguild forum for more info on that. It's a great forum for builders. I have several builds posted over there as well as here.

Larry

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Thanks for the info. Do you have more details on what is involved work and price wise to make it a mini? Do they use the same receiver? And to me, it looks like the mini Uzi would be much better than the regular. I am completely new to this, so again I welcome suggestions and comments. The mini Uzis would use the same folding buttstock?

They certainly cooler than the full size uzi.... and never cared much for the mirco (i have a uzi kit lying around im currently debating which direction to go myself)..... Top cover is the most important part of a uzi build so if you can take good measurements and can weld thinner material you should be right at home. the full auto denials are a little different (the full size uses a blocking bar where the mini uses a different back plate that can be difficult to locate). sights are also different and it uses a side folding stock if you want to make a accurate clone of the mini.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    They certainly cooler than the full size uzi.... and never cared much for the mirco (i have a uzi kit lying around im currently debating which direction to go myself)..... Top cover is the most important part of a uzi build so if you can take good measurements and can weld thinner material you should be right at home. the full auto denials are a little different (the full size uses a blocking bar where the mini uses a different back plate that can be difficult to locate). sights are also different and it uses a side folding stock if you want to make a accurate clone of the mini.

Hmm. Do you know of anyone who is selling mini sights and buttstocks? On all my searches I don't think I saw a mini buttstock.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Hmm. Do you know of anyone who is selling mini sights and buttstocks? On all my searches I don't think I saw a mini buttstock.
    Gunbroker or the strumgewehr classifieds would be where i would look..... mini parts are much rarer than the mirco or the fullsize ... should take you too long to locate but im sure there not cheap

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

McKay is very good. Very plug and play. D and D is good too. But you have to weld your kits trunion, rear sight base, grip lug and feed ramp. More work. Both are FFL items.

If you are going to weld, I'd go with a Globe repair section, it's not an FFL item. If you can't weld, then a Mckay is the better way.

BTW, you have to weld your own or farm it out to a FFL07. You can not legally have a non-manufacture weld it together.

Top Bottom