• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was watching a show called "Secrets of the Secret Service" on Discovery HD. They were explaining that the SS Presidential Protection Detail has switched from the UZI to the PS90 SMG because the UZI "has a tendency to spray it's bullets" and the PS90 can keep the bullets on target better.:n00b: Thoughts?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I know the uniformed division of the Secret Service went to P90s (select-fire; not the PS90 semi-auto) some years ago. Many agencies have NOT been happy with them due to stopping power issues with the 5.7 round. Not sure what the protection detail has for long guns.

FN 5.7 x 28 mm

M4Carbine.net post #1

M4Carbine.net post #2

_40740173_secretservice_ap203.jpg

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have both the Uzi and PS-90. A couple of years ago my daughter and I participated in what we called a "movie shoot" where we stood about 20 yards from a 6 inch target, and in full auto, one 25 round mag, from the hip tried to hit is. My daughter did the best with 4 hits. I managed one.

Shooting both aimed fire from a standing position, the Uzi sights weren't the best, but we were able to put it on target with practice. On the other hand, the PS-90 and it's funny sights were easy to put on target, and with almost no recoil very easy to get follow up shots.

The PS-90 is much more comfortable on the cheek than the steel bar of the Uzi's retractable stock.

The PS-90 is lighter and easier to aim.

Having both, I can understand changing to the very short and very compact P-90, but surprised that they opted for the ATF approved for non-uniformed civilians who have the right that shall not be infringed semi-auto version. Guessing it is to keep them from wasting ammo and being more focused on shot placement.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Having both, I can understand changing to the very short and very compact P-90, but surprised that they opted for the ATF approved for non-uniformed civilians who have the right that shall not be infringed semi-auto version. Guessing it is to keep them from wasting ammo and being more focused on shot placement.

It is my understanding that they are issued select-fire P90s, not the semi-only PS90. :twocents:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    The Uzi is a late 1940s weapon, the P90 is a weapon that was developed in the 1990s.
    The Uzi fires 9mm, the P90 5.7, latter has no practically noticeable recoil. --> So yes I can believe it is easier to keep on target.
    The Uzi has a heavy bolt flying back with each rd, hence it does have a tendency to drive you off target. BUT from personal experience I can tell you in short bursts it is controllable but I can certainly believe not as much as a P90.

I'd say the Uzi is to the AK47 as is the MP5 to the M16 in the subgun market.

I watched the episode too. Interesting documentary.

VUPDBlue ask me about my SS P90 story next time we see each other on NFA day. Learned a lesson that day.

Last edited:

rebr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    I was watching a show called "Secrets of the Secret Service" on Discovery HD. They were explaining that the SS Presidential Protection Detail has switched from the UZI to the PS90 SMG because the UZI "has a tendency to spray it's bullets" and the PS90 can keep the bullets on target better.:n00b: Thoughts?

I would imagine that the 5.7mm's ability to better penetrate body armor and decreased propensity for ricochet probably played into the decision as well. especially since, you know, it would be pretty embarassing and undesirable for an agent to wing the president with a ricochet

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    The PS90 has been the choice of the SGC for many years as well.
    It has shown great results in many off world engagements.
    No suprise there... :D
    Free_Star_Gate_Screensaver_767.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The P90 is like Thor's Mighty Mallet Mjolnir!

Stargate shows clearly shows that time after time, aliens who laugh LAUGH! at a burst of .308 from an M240 will go down like a poleaxed steer when hit in the pinky fingernail by the mighty 5.7 round. It's THAT powerful. And it goes right through body armor. Well, okay, so a lot of other rounds do too, but the 5.7 is AWESOME!

I continue to be amused by some of the people who extoll the virtues of the 5.7 round when they happen to be the same people who ridicule the 5.56x45mm due to its inherent wimpiness and inability to do much of anything but make noise. Heck, 5.56x45mm won't even go through . . . oh, wait. It will.

Oh, well, I suppose a hit with a .22 magnum is better than a miss with a 9mm.

If I were doing that job and I couldn't carry a legitimate rifle round because the guns are too big, I think I'd probably look for a more modern subgun to replace the venerable Uzi, like maybe an MP5PDW or the latest HK mini subgun. Or even that little Ruger that's essentially an updated Uzi.

rebr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    I continue to be amused by some of the people who extoll the virtues of the 5.7 round when they happen to be the same people who ridicule the 5.56x45mm due to its inherent wimpiness and inability to do much of anything but make noise. Heck, 5.56x45mm won't even go through . . . oh, wait. It will.

I never ridiculed anything, especially the 5.56. The only other round being compared was the 9x19. Compared to the 9mm, the 5.7mm has superior armor piercing capability, less recoil, and is designed to reduce overpenetration and ricochet. The only thing worse than blindly diehard 5.7 fans are those who take even the slightest mention of the round as a chance to rattle off a whole litany of personal preferences unrelated to the topic. i know i'm new here, but if i hadn't seen that you were a site sponsor, my first instinct was that you were just a troll.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I never ridiculed anything, especially the 5.56. The only other round being compared was the 9x19. Compared to the 9mm, the 5.7mm has superior armor piercing capability, less recoil, and is designed to reduce overpenetration and ricochet. The only thing worse than blindly diehard 5.7 fans are those who take even the slightest mention of the round as a chance to rattle off a whole litany of personal preferences unrelated to the topic. i know i'm new here, but if i hadn't seen that you were a site sponsor, my first instinct was that you were just a troll.

Yeesh man. I don't think rhino's post was directed at you specifically.

Also, sometimes if I eat corn, I poop it out. Poop that corn.

corn-demotivational-poster-1223167230.jpg

rebr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    rebr, I think you may need to step back, re-read rhino's post and then, possibly, apologize for calling him a troll...

first, i did not call him a troll. the fact that he is a site sponsor indicated to me that what i would have interpreted as troll-like behavior was at least someone expressing an earnest opinion, so let it be said that i was not trying to passively-aggressively call anyone a troll.

that being said, i would still like to point out that the majority of the post was not only off topic, but sarcastic and patronizing ... just like a million other "5.7mm = .22 magnum" thread digressions all over the internet. so for singling out rhino to take out this pent up annoyance on, i do apologize.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I am a big fan of the PS90. I am not a big fan of the commercially available ammo for it. I think is is a fantastic weapon for close quarters use. It is lightweight, easy to carry, compact, and with the right ammo, and training has superior stopping power. The downside is the mag change. It took me weeks of hard work to get proficient at it, and months to be able to do it blindfolded consistently. It is a similar motion to racking the slide on a semi auto pistol, but there is a learning curve relative to positioning he weapon in exactly the same place each time. Once you get that problem solved, it is a wonderful addition to an arsenal. I haven't had the opportunity to work with the select fire, but perhaps the trigger is a little better than that on the PS90.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    the ps90 is less recoil , can penetrate kevlar and holds 60 rounds.

SS agent in a crisis: i was in fear for the presidents life so i dump a 60 round mag into him.

rebr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    I haven't had the opportunity to work with the select fire, but perhaps the trigger is a little better than that on the PS90.

i've seen that someone makes drop-in trigger packs for the PS90 that have a selectable trigger pull weight, though i can't seem to find that info now. i do see though there are two different generations of the trigger pack, with the second being a bit better.

Top Bottom