• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Hey Folks,&nbsp;<br>Looking to hear about your experience with the V10 Engine. &nbsp;How many miles are you at so far? &nbsp;I'm considering a v10 with a load of miles on it right now but it is so strong. &nbsp;<br><br>Thanks

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I think mine is great. '06 crew cab short bed 4x4 auto, 54k miles on the clock. Pulls our trailer way better than any of the other trucks did. Recently got a FiveStar tuner, and I like it even more. When I am pulling the trailer, I get 9mpg which gave me a 200 mile range on the stock tank. Turned it into a 55gal tank, and have a 500+ range now.

A friend has an '08 crew, long bed, manual, with 4.3 gear ratio, pulls a big toy hauler, and really likes his, also.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Unless you're just going for unique, I'd look elsewhere. The Dodge SRT V-10 is crazy expensive. Not a ton of aftermarket support for the magnum or the triton V-10. If you just gotta have it for the cool/different factor, have at it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    He must've had an issue. There was another thread where he fixed it but I think it's gone.

Anyway, what do you plan to do with the truck? Is it a want or a need?

The only experience I have is with a Ford work van and I wasn't impressed at all. I guess I expected crazy power.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    The shop truck is a V10 Ford and it runs like a top, but as stated above it's a turd that takes forever to get up to speed and it guzzles fuel

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Details

He must've had an issue. There was another thread where he fixed it but I think it's gone.

Anyway, what do you plan to do with the truck? Is it a want or a need?

The only experience I have is with a Ford work van and I wasn't impressed at all. I guess I expected crazy power.

For all...2000 Excursion V10. Will be a Family truck replacing a 94 Suburban with the 5.7. It will also pull our camper 1000 miles a year max. 8000#. I hope this clears some things up.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I had a 2004 Eddie Bauer Ford Excursion 4X4 with the V10. I loved it. I have used it to pull cars and boats without issue. Never seemed to be a turd as others have stated, but there are various factors when performance suffers. I had the factory tow package, so the gearing might have been more suited for the task. I know gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about, but reliability was spectacular. We never had a single issue the entire time we owned it, from 68,000 miles to just over 237,000 miles at trade in. We still got $5000 trading on a brand new Toyota Sienna SE, despite the mileage and some minor paint flaking (bumper) and fading (hood). The leather interior wore exceptionally well. The seats all still looked as if they were brand new at trade in. Tires were expensive (as any LT tire is), gas very expensive (this was when gas was over $3/gallon). Overall no complaints and I miss it.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've got a couple track buddies that run one. One has it in a van, another in an excursion, niether is terribly fond of it. They cite thirst for gas, and short on power for the fuel consumption. But, niether's said anything negative beyond that. Also have friends with both vehicles outfitted with the diesel and they can't sing the praises enough.

However...

The price difference on the used market between the diesel and the v10 variants is immense. Enough that the fuel costs between the two is negligible or nonexistent.

I recently did a similar argument, but wasn't specifically looking at the v10 Fords, though I considered one when I saw the market price on em. I wanted a truck that could handle 8-10klbs a few times a year, big enough for family road tripper. Ended up with a gas 6.0 GM HD truck. Got it for a STEAL, and considering the cost difference between the used gas trucks and the used oil burners, I can buy gasoline for another 100k miles before the diesel would be cheaper (and at that point, all bets are off as both their drivelines would likely be facing major maintenance in the near future) I get 12-13mpg around town/commute, 15-16 on the highway (65mph or less) and 10mpg towing flatland with 8klbs. (note same trailer on the '15 1/2 ton with the 6.2L v8 returns high 11's to low 12's but again, I got my truck cheap)

If I hauled more often, or spent more time on the road/highway, I would have sprung for the diesel. But I have a very short commute, and rarely do more than 10-12k/year (about 7-8k if I don't do any track days)

For 8k lbs, the v10 is a bit overkill, but the stronger chassis and components will return a longer lasting truck if cared for over the smallblocks. You'd be fine with the small block options, at the expense of towing. They're thirsty and not terribly powerful, but some people like them, and the MAJOR bonus is they're worth nothing on the used market, which buys you a lot of fuel.

If you're not looking for huge power, and not daily driving it empty, go for it.

tl;dr - they're CHEAP, but thirsty. The horrible depreciation makes them a viable choice on the used market if your annual mileage is low and you're willing to do single digit MPGs

Last edited:

Willdabeast77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2016
    Charlestown
    If it were me personally i would go with a diesel before a v10. Ive never owned a v10 but a buddy of mine has in a Ford and claimed he has got as bad as 6mpg hauling relatively small trailers (less than 5k lbs) but was reliable. With the diesels you can always throw on a programmer and will bump up fuel mileage as well as horsepower.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If it were me personally i would go with a diesel before a v10. Ive never owned a v10 but a buddy of mine has in a Ford and claimed he has got as bad as 6mpg hauling relatively small trailers (less than 5k lbs) but was reliable. With the diesels you can always throw on a programmer and will bump up fuel mileage as well as horsepower.

Huge cost difference between the two especially on the used market. Nobody wants the v10, so you can have them CHEAP. That price difference buys a LOT of gasoline (which you'll need)

Top Bottom