• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The Brady Campaign had big plans for April 16, they were intending to have a 'centerpiece' rally at Virginia Tech to showcase their gun banning cause. There are events scattered around the nation, but the real heart of the event was to be held on the Va Tech campus.

The campus basically said they can go take a hike. I don't think this means the campus is pro-gun, but it certainly is saying that it won't be 'used' by the anti-gunners to further their cause.

Virginia Tech blocks plans of gun-control group
    Brady Campaign won't get permit for event on April 16

Printer-Friendly Version

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 - 12:20 AM Updated: 12:51 AM

By REX BOWMAN TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Virginia Tech said yesterday that it will not allow a national gun-control advocacy group to hold a campus demonstration on April 16 while the school commemorates last year's massacre.

Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said neither the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence nor the co-sponsor of the planned demonstration, ProtestEasyGuns.com, had applied for an assembly permit, and even if they had, Tech only issues permits to student groups.

Tech's position threw the Brady Campaign's plans into disarray yesterday: The noon demonstration at Tech was supposed to be the centerpiece of a nationwide series of events on April 16 in more than 70 cities and towns.

"I think we'll have to figure out what's going on," said Brady Campaign spokesman Doug Pennington. He added that students and friends of last year's shooting victims are among those who want to participate in the demonstration, "so, I'm sure where there's a will, there's a way without breaking any rules."

The planned demonstration at Tech called for individuals to lie down on the Drillfield in groups of 32 -- to recall the 32 victims of gunman Seung-Hui Cho -- for a few minutes. The brevity of the "lie-in" is meant to highlight how quickly a gun can be purchased in the United States. The Brady Campaign is calling on Congress to mandate background checks of buyers at gun shows.

Tech is marking the shootings on April 16 with a ceremony that begins in the morning and is expected to run past noon. The daylong memorial ends with an evening candlelight vigil.

Hincker said no student group will be given an assembly permit for the Drillfield at noon. "We expect that the ceremony will likely cross the noon hour, and we will not be allowing other groups to interfere with the remembrance event."

Pennington said the Brady Campaign could have a new plan in place as early as today. "It's just a matter of, if not here -- and it sounds like that's the case -- then where?"

Contact Rex Bowman at (540) 344-3612 or rbowman@timesdispatch.com.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    The Brady Campaign is calling on Congress to mandate background checks of buyers at gun shows.
    I work as a sub-contractor, doing remodels. We have a lady that has been a customer of ours for years, so the other people I work with and myself pretty much talk about anything. We were talking about guns and laws one day, and she came from the other room and wanted to join in with us. She said that she didn't really have a problem with them, other than how easy it is to get them, and they should do background checks at gun shows.

As far as I know, unless it is just in Indiana, every firearm purchased from a dealer requires a call to the FBI and a background check. This would include firearm purchases at gun shows.

Is this a voluntary law that Indiana just happens to follow?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is this a voluntary law that Indiana just happens to follow?
    No.

The so-called "gunshow loophole" only exists in some states. Indiana is one of the "evil" states. I am proud to be a resident of this "evil" state because we don't fall for Brady's schemes.

According to the Brady bunch the private sale of handguns from one private citizen to another private citizen is a rampant and dangerous activity that is very prominent at gun shows. Here in Indiana two residents can meet and one can sell a personal weapon to the other. I can sell one of my personal guns to you in a face to face transaction.

Brady contends that private individuals, who are not FFL holders, set up tables of private guns and sell them to anyone without background checks. I've been to gun shows and have NEVER seen this. I have seen the occasional sale of a gun in the hallway between 2 people who meet at the show. But most gun shows that I know of forbid non-FFL sales despite the fact that it is legal. I know of no gun show that will allow non-FFL tables of guns for sale.

The reason many states RESIST the Brady campaign against the "gunshow loophole" is very simple, the so-called loophole, if closed, will prevent me from giving my guns to my children, will prevent you from giving a gun to your grandchild, will forbid your great uncle from giving you a family heirloom gun.

The so-called 'gunshow loophole' is a scam phrase used by the Brady Campaign to prevent private guns from transferring despite the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of private non-FFL 'transfers' are gifts from/to relatives and friends.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Sounds like VTech didn't want to have the left wing loonies running around doing their usual loud, rude, crude antics during a very solemn day of rememberance.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    No.

The so-called "gunshow loophole" only exists in some states. Indiana is one of the "evil" states. I am proud to be a resident of this "evil" state because we don't fall for Brady's schemes.

According to the Brady bunch the private sale of handguns from one private citizen to another private citizen is a rampant and dangerous activity that is very prominent at gun shows. Here in Indiana two residents can meet and one can sell a personal weapon to the other. I can sell one of my personal guns to you in a face to face transaction.

Brady contends that private individuals, who are not FFL holders, set up tables of private guns and sell them to anyone without background checks. I've been to gun shows and have NEVER seen this. I have seen the occasional sale of a gun in the hallway between 2 people who meet at the show. But most gun shows that I know of forbid non-FFL sales despite the fact that it is legal. I know of no gun show that will allow non-FFL tables of guns for sale.

The reason many states RESIST the Brady campaign against the "gunshow loophole" is very simple, the so-called loophole, if closed, will prevent me from giving my guns to my children, will prevent you from giving a gun to your grandchild, will forbid your great uncle from giving you a family heirloom gun.

The so-called 'gunshow loophole' is a scam phrase used by the Brady Campaign to prevent private guns from transferring despite the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of private non-FFL 'transfers' are gifts from/to relatives and friends.
    Ok, that makes sense. Well, not that the idea of a "gun show loophole" makes sense, but your explanation makes sense. :thumbsup: Basically they want a background check mandatory for any gun transfer, regardless of who it is being transferred and/or sold to? And they are specifically targeting gun shows because this is where all the seedy, crime causing felons go to buy guns from the 100s of private sellers with booths that don't perform background checks?

I find that they specifically mention gun shows funny because the majority of guns that are transfered via bill of sale only (if you're smart), from one private owner to another, don't happen at gun shows. The same with all the guns that gang bangers and thugs buy. I'm sure many a gun has been bought in a back alley, behind a building somewhere.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Make no mistake. Requiring background checks for F2F transfers is the first step towards eventually requiring mandatory gun registrations. The Bradys know exactly what they're doing, even if their agenda is horribly naive and misguided.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ri, remember, that until just 10 years ago Indiana required a background check for every pistol (from a dealer or a private individual) transfer just as the Brady desire. It was a total and complete failure.

The law did not prevent a single crime, created enormous paperwork headaches and expense and made a mockery of law enforcement.

Top Bottom