• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    But if everyone quits vaccinating those number increase exponentially due to the easability of spreading in an vaccinated population. Then your back to high deaths due to chickenpox.

What really gets me is the flu vaccination and the ignorance even within the lower medical community. Recently there were several nurses who were fired because they refused the mandated flu vac. They were crying foul. The only exemption was allergy to eggs. I had no sympothy for them since the featured nurse in the report was an oncology nurse and the flu would kill a cancer patient with a compromised immune system.

So many ignorant people think if they take the shot they can get the flu. When I was a part-time custodian I ended up working their shift why they were home complaining because they couldn't work to pay the bills.

Here's my unscientific results:

I have never had the flu shot, my wife has never had the flu shot and neither have my daughters 10 and 5. None of us had the flu for over 3 years and my 5 year old has never had it. My 10 year old and I did get hit with a mild 24 hour case of sore throat, runny nose and fever. Gargled with warm water and safe for the throat, slept for 16 hours and back to good.

I feed my family garlic almost every day and during flu season, I add echinacea to our green smoothies.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Here's my unscientific results:

I have never had the flu shot, my wife has never had the flu shot and neither have my daughters 10 and 5. None of us had the flu for over 3 years and my 5 year old has never had it. My 10 year old and I did get hit with a mild 24 hour case of sore throat, runny nose and fever. Gargled with warm water and safe for the throat, slept for 16 hours and back to good.

I feed my family garlic almost every day and during flu season, I add echinacea to our green smoothies.

In reality I think you are secretly feeding that garlic to keep the boys away :laugh:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I support vaccines that have been thoroughly tested (as with any medication), but I have never quite gotten flu vaccines. Yes, the herd immunity does help keep the elderly and children from getting sick, but in the long run we're just creating strains of the virus that will be far harder to treat and more deadly. As of yet bed rest can still treat the flu, will that be the case in 20 years? Perhaps we need to just restrict these vaccines to at risk groups. I'm young and in good health. Getting the flu really poses no risk of death to me so why go through an unneeded vaccination? Perhaps I've just oversimplified the matter.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    My son was diagnosed with a moderate diagnosis on the ASD. My opinion is that lots of things contributed to it. I am almost sure that genetics played a part. (He is one of a few from my family diagnosed) I have read everything I could on Autism over the last 10 years. Anyone who says they know something definitively does or does not cause or contribute to Autism is full of s$%^! No one has a clue what causes it. We have just about gone broke trying the newest 'cure'. Point being, do not rule anything out until you know what causes it. OK, rant off.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Permanent Brain Damage.

That's a vaccine side-effect listed multiple times on the CDC's website, as well as on Vaccines.gov.

Am I to believe that a vaccine could put a brain into a permanent vegetative state, but it couldn't harm it slightly and make a child appear autistic?

That's where the science absolutely falls apart. The notion that you are either 100% or 1-0% and that vaccines cause absolutely no harm outside of that.

It's absurd.

People should make an informed decision based upon the facts... or as few as it is sometimes the case.

For some vaccines, like varicella (chicken pox) isn't worth the risk, certainly not in the case of gardia for middle schoolers.

Considering how poorly the influenza vax usually works, it isn't worth the risk IMO either.

Polio on the other hand...

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm still waiting to meet all those autistic children that have never received a vaccine. I suspect I'll find them amongst the unicorns.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    I support vaccines that have been thoroughly tested (as with any medication), but I have never quite gotten flu vaccines. Yes, the herd immunity does help keep the elderly and children from getting sick, but in the long run we're just creating strains of the virus that will be far harder to treat and more deadly. As of yet bed rest can still treat the flu, will that be the case in 20 years? Perhaps we need to just restrict these vaccines to at risk groups. I'm young and in good health. Getting the flu really poses no risk of death to me so why go through an unneeded vaccination? Perhaps I've just oversimplified the matter.

I think you are confused on how the Flu virus mutates. It bounces around the swine population and mutates periodically within the swine popoulation. Once in a while it mutates to a form that has the ability to cross to humans. Flu shots have nothing to do with it. The flu shot is created about a year earlier. They identify 2-3 strains they think might be the main ones in the coming year due to their characteristics like easily passed, etc. and make the vac for them. each shot has part of the virus in it so you never actually get the entire virus so you don't actually get the flu. the body recognizes the piece and makes an antibody for it.

Sometimes they guess right, other times wrong. i believe this year they were right (H3N2 was one of the parts). H3N2 was the new strain the crossed from swine to humans in Indiana last summer at the 4-H fairs. My wife picked it up at a 4-H fair and was one of 4 hospitalized in the state in the initial outbreak.

Now Bacteria is a different beast and yes you would be correct that over use of antibiotics can encourage those versions with tolerance to thrive.

the flu can not be fought by antibiotics. Different thing.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom