• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Seems smaller bags would just be easier and better. If you open the bucket, all seal is lost, with bags you can open the bucket and see what's inside if a label comes off, or just open what you need in smaller quantities. Let us know what you figure out, I'm interested. I just can't think of a practical or efficient use/reason.

this is exactly right. i never understood why people want to seal up 5 gal bags. yes its easier just to seal it all at once but then once you open that up you limited on time to eat. i seal everything in single gallon mylar bags and then put 4-5 gallon bags in one bucket. that way i can open a bag of rice and beans or sugar and flour and not have to be rushed to eat or use it.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Also I found this on youtube, some may have seen this before, but it shows what seems to be a good way to seal the mylar bags and the end of the video shows how well the oxygen absorbers sealed the bags. It looks like they vaccume sealed the bags fairly well. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80]YouTube - Sealing Mylar bags for food storage[/ame]

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    me and my wife do this alot,we put the food in a mylar bag with a 2000cc oxygen absorer,try to push all the air out that you can and then seal the mylar bag,the air you cant get out,the 2000cc will finish the job,we use a womans flat iron that they do their hair with,its cheap and works good luck

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Also I found this on youtube, some may have seen this before, but it shows what seems to be a good way to seal the mylar bags and the end of the video shows how well the oxygen absorbers sealed the bags. It looks like they vaccume sealed the bags fairly well. YouTube - Sealing Mylar bags for food storage

After throwing in O2 absorbers my bags don't get the vacuum sealed look like in the video. Any one else have that problem?

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    After throwing in O2 absorbers my bags don't get the vacuum sealed look like in the video. Any one else have that problem?

I haven't tried this yet, but I will have to try it and see what results I get when I get the time. I was wondering how well this would actually work since it didnt look like he tried real hard to get a lot of air out, but wasn't sure. Im curious of others experiences with this as well.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if they don't seem like they are vacuum sealed then the o2 absorbers probably didn't work. the beans and rice should be hard in the package, not really much room to move. if not you need to try again probably.

make sure you push out as much air as possible before you put the 02 absorber in and seal.

Top Bottom