• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Paid for my Lee Classic Turret long ago. Now make 9 mm (12 cents each vs 30+cents each for JHP), .308 (22 cents each vs 75 cents or more), 7.62x39 (though reloadable brass is not that common) and rounds and blanks for No. 56 Spencer (25 cents each vs over $1 each). Get some help from my crew also, ages 23 to 11, and sometimes their friends. I'm sure I'll enjoy tuning rounds once I get the necessary equipment (chrony, etc.). Looking forward to shotgun reloading eventually - saving hulls already. Take your time and enjoy yourself.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I look at it this way, I shoot +/- 500 .45 a week at around .49 cents each, (Federal RN FMJ from walmart at $24.67 per 50, not calculating tax), vs .09 cents each for my reloads. Figuring $600 for a Dillon 550b and tools, the press paid for itself in 1500 rds (.40 cent savings X 1500 = $600.

That's A ROI of less than a month for me.

I think if I invest in a pot and a few molds ($250) I can get my .45 rounds to right at .05 cents, at about a 12 -14 month ROI on that investment.

But that being said my main return on reloading is spending 3 to 4 hours week with my son just hanging and "Makin Boolits". That for me is priceless. Also knowing I'm raising a safe responsible gun owner who will one day teach his son to load on this same equipment is a wonderful thought.

I find reloading to be VERY therapeutic. You may find you just enjoy doing it, and that's where the value is.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Even though I have been reloading a long time, I used to suggest to people who were fairly casual shooters of common 9mm and .38 spl calibers, not to bother. Back then you could get new 9mm blaser for $7.50 and .38 reloads were easy to find for $6.00 a box. To reload those only saved a dollar or so a box, pretty hard to justify reloading. .44 mag and .45 was where the savings were.

Now that all ammo is spotty to get, entry level 9mm is in the $18 a box range, and .38 reloads are few and far between, I recommend reloading to anyone who has some mechanical ability and the ability to pay attention to detail. When you are saving $10 plus per box, it does not take that many boxes to break even on your investment. Even great gear, like a Dillon 550b, and a good scale, calipers, etc. can be assembled for less than $600. Shooting only one box a week, you break even after a little more than a year. And, probably the biggest reason to be able to reload, as we saw in 2013, the reloaders generally always had ammo when none was readily available.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I think if I invest in a pot and a few molds ($250) I can get my .45 rounds to right at .05 cents, at about a 12 -14 month ROI on that investment.

I am running Tula primers, $25/1000, only paying $.15 per pound for raw wheel weights, casting tumble lube profile bullets which don't require sizing and/or lube equipment, and figure my cost is $.06 per round of .45 acp.

irishhp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    I just yesterday posted a thread ("this is awesome") how great the sense of freedom is when you finally get into reloading. We all own guns and shoot, hunt, whatever because we enjoy it right? Well, when you're counting your bullets and worrying about whether or not you have to get up at 5am to go stand in line at Wal-Mart, then you've lost ALL your freedom...frankly, guys who talk about "scoring" this or "scoring" that are missing the point. James Madison would have something to say about that.

So, for me, I'll keep reloading no matter the cost -- no matter the cost. So the cost savings (which are clear) are a bonus. I will never subject myself again to praying, hoping or whatever that ammo shows up somewhere I can get to it. It's right downstairs! Now THAT is freedom.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I am running Tula primers, $25/1000, only paying $.15 per pound for raw wheel weights, casting tumble lube profile bullets which don't require sizing and/or lube equipment, and figure my cost is $.06 per round of .45 acp.

There you go! I'm looking to pickup a 9mm carbine and then we'll be reloading like crazy for it!!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Shotgun loading was also a HUGE savings for me when I was shooting skeet competitively. I ran through thousands of 12 ga and .410 bore shells a year. When I wasn't shooting I was loading more of them. I love shooting skeet though I probably sick now, Haven't been able for a while and now that I can I have to drive a fair ways to do so. I also don't know anyone else who likes shooting skeet which sort of makes shooting it alone sort of sad IMO. I like the camaraderie. I also don't like having to pay for a puller. Two can pull for each other, alone you need someone to push the buttons for you unless they have a voice activated system. Clasest voice activated system FOR SKEET (Seems trap shooters get these more now a days and are more popular, I hate Trap) is at Lake Shelbyville's big shotgun and rifle range run by the IL DOR. It's is a really nice place and I have shot there many times but it is a bit far to go just for convenience.

Guess that was a bit off topic. In any case reloading is both rewarding for me and a big money saver. I don't know that I could still afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't reload.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Warthog, I have my own personal CLAY DELAY wireless voice system. A small lapel microphone clips on my vest, and the transmitter in my pocket. The receiver plugs in where the manual switch plugs in. I can choose High house, low house or doubles. It works really well.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Warthog, I have my own personal CLAY DELAY wireless voice system. A small lapel microphone clips on my vest, and the transmitter in my pocket. The receiver plugs in where the manual switch plugs in. I can choose High house, low house or doubles. It works really well.
    when should I come over? :)

I haven't any land nor do I have the money for one of those but I have long dreamed of owning my own field. I would be out shooting now under the light is I did too. Skeet was something I truly loved doing and it sort of irks me that you can shoot trap nearly anywhere there is a range but finding a Skeet field is near impossible. It must be the challenge, anyone can shoot trap. Skeet though is for those who love to joke around with each other, have fun and like to beat the snot outta each other on the scoreboard.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Skeet was something I truly loved doing and it sort of irks me that you can shoot trap nearly anywhere there is a range but finding a Skeet field is near impossible. It must be the challenge, anyone can shoot trap. Skeet though is for those who love to joke around with each other, have fun and like to beat the snot outta each other on the scoreboard.

I have been to other parts of the country where skeet fields are easy to find, and trap is less concentrated. I shoot all the clay sports. Trap, Sporting Clays, 5 stand and some skeet if I get a chance. Some places that have all the facilities shoot challenge games. There was a game called SKRAP in Texas where you shoot single birds standing on the 8 skeet posts, but use the trap thrower set on random"three hole" oscillation. Talk about wild angles, you never get the same presentation twice. If the trap thrower can be set for wobble trap, you never get the same elevation either. A dedicated trap shooter or dedicated skeet shooter who can regularly shoot straights in their normal competition, may be lucky to shoot a 10 or 12 point round. Some of the bird hunter types may shoot a 14. That game really shows how, in our dedicated effort to be good at skeet (or trap) makes us pretty worthless in other pursuits. It is a rare shotgunner that can routinely shoot straights on the trap field and then shoot straights on the Skeet field, and visa versa.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I just find Trap Shooters a bit too stodgy and serious for my tastes, the game itself is fun. I love shooting trap on a wobble thrower. Skrap sound like fun too. I do shoot all of these games like you do and can find all of them but Skeet just north of me. They have room for a Skeet Field there so I asked them what it would take to get them to add one to the mix. "Skeet will never be a part of the facility." was the answer. I asked why and they just told me the same again so clearly they must suck shooting skeet and don't want to be reminded. :)

Well, I guess I will just keep trying and keep driving all over heck to shoot skeet.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Is it worth it reload???? YES!!!!

It not only that it can be much cheaper, but I am really enjoying the fact in Rifle ammo that every round is exactly the same. I burn up a lot of 5.56 in my AR's and I never realized the variance in factory ammo until I started reloading it myself. When I used to blame it on my scopes and technique, I have become a better shooter using my reloads. (Plus a couple of Project Appleseeds last summer)
    I now have my scope dialed in and as long as I do my part, the round is going exactly where I want it.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I have got it down to $5.80 per 100rds for 40s loaded. Now this does not include my time invested. But as we all know, if we calculated our time on any hobby we would just sit around and cry. And not load ammo!!!
    I cast all my own 9s, 40s, 45s I shoot a **** ton more of 40s that the other. Casting is where most of my time investment is.
    When I sit down to load on the 650 I can get 100 in about 6 minutes barring no problems.
    The before mentioned $5.80 per 100 is me picking up range brass or trading range brass for what I need. Casting my own boolits and coating them, and shopping around for powder and primers and wheel weights.
    I'm like Coach on the not messing around with the load. I found one that worked and I have stuck with it for years now.

So If you are going to shoot on a regular basis reloading is well worth it!!

Last edited:

raptorracer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I agree with the above posting. Getting your children involved early is a great thing as long as the instructor parent is teaching the safety importance in all aspects and repeating those same things over and over. My 4 year old daughter loves to help. but she helps and understands what is safe and what is not. Her favorite is sorting the range brass and anything with a hammer. I used to use (and sometimes still do) the lee classic hand loader for .44 mag and .44 special and this process is loved by her cause there is always action going on.
    The more we educate our children on our passions. The safety is the most important thing. Keep guns out of reach from children. Video games are not reality KIDS!!

Top Bottom