• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    So every time some one in my family (kids wife) get sick we do the whole Vapor Rub on your feet bit to keep the cough and decongestant working. I think my mother in law was the one to tell us about it years ago, but I found out my grandmother used to do this when I got sick as a kid. I've found that it actually works better than putting it on your chest with all of us, plus it hides that vapor rub smell.

Does any one else do this? Our family's are southern so it might be a regional thing? Snopes says it's undetermined if it works or not.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Soles of your feet, put socks on. I have sinus problems and have done this for years. Don't know why, but it opens me up and I can feel and taste the stuff even though its on my feet.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Soles of your feet, put socks on. I have sinus problems and have done this for years. Don't know why, but it opens me up and I can feel and taste the stuff even though its on my feet.

The various essential oils have very high penetration values. The main reason to put it on your chest is to combine the skin penetration for slow release with the quicker action of absorption through the lungs when you breathe it. Putting it on the feet slows the absorption and spreads it out over a longer time period without irritating the sinuses.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    I think Vicks is a miracle drug.:) I picked up a toenail fungus a couple years ago and used all the over the counter treatments to no avail. I didn't want to use the oral drug treatment due to the bad things I have heard. Looked around at alternatives and heard about using Vicks. After fighing the fungus for two years it was gone in less than three weeks of using Vicks.
    I also know someone that was having a terrible time with their feet. Cracks, blisters etc... She started doing the Vicks and sock thing at night and all her problems are gone.
    It's a miracle drug I tell ya! :rockwoot:

Randy
    :patriot:

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    I had never heard of this until I married and my wife started doing it for the kids. My grandmother always put it on my chest and coveredit with wax paper...I always hated the wax paper part!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    That stuff works wonders when you are all congested up with massive sinus pressure. When the sinuses release...the awesome feeling it is to have ounces and ounces of mucus oozing out of your face and to finally pass air through your nose again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I never heard of the wax paper over the Vick's. We have used in on the chest and feet. I think the feet treatment is better than the chest application, too.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I had never heard of this until I married and my wife started doing it for the kids. My grandmother always put it on my chest and coveredit with wax paper...I always hated the wax paper part!

Was the wax paper to keep it from getting on your clothes/sheets? Or was it just some hill billy stuff like my family was doing?

Top Bottom