• Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My younger brother had this one:

5130.jpg

I prefer the one with the wood grips vs the white, and the trigger could have been a bit better, but holy wow did it gobble up 357 like it was candy. You're not too far from Dave's Gun Shop in Holland, which normally has a decent selection of SA revolvers, including the Vaquero. Pretty easy to clean and maintain, and it was an absolute hoot with 38's.

Another worth looking at would be the New Model Blackhawk with traditional ramp front/adjustable rear sights. It think it's really nice looking, and the sights would likely have me picking this over the Vaquero:

0814.jpg

Last edited:

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    Thanks Hopper! I'm not able to see the first picture. What is it? Also, are you saying you are able to shoot 38s out of a 357 SA?
    My younger brother had this one:

5130.jpg

I prefer the one with the wood grips vs the white, and the trigger could have been a bit better, but holy wow did it gobble up 357 like it was candy. You're not too far from Dave's Gun Shop in Holland, which normally has a decent selection of SA revolvers, including the Vaquero. Pretty easy to clean and maintain, and it was an absolute hoot with 38's.

Another worth looking at would be the New Model Blackhawk with traditional ramp front/adjustable rear sights. It think it's really nice looking, and the sights would likely have me picking this over the Vaquero:

0814.jpg

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have a stainless New Vaquero in 45 Colt and it is as good a single action as you can find anywhere. It is my favorite among my single actions. Only thing is, Ruger put such a flawless polish on it I kind of hate to get it dirty. Does not stop me from shooting it as it's a great shooter and a very sturdy gun. $550 sounds way better than $600 tho.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can pick up a used Blackhawk pretty reasonably. My personal favorite is the 45lc where you can get a spare cylinder in 45 ACP.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Thanks Hopper! I'm not able to see the first picture. What is it? Also, are you saying you are able to shoot 38s out of a 357 SA?

Different Hopper here (no relation) but yes you can use .38 special out of a .357 mag but not the other way around. And if you get a convertible model you switch cylinders and shoot 9MM.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I have two Ruger Vaquero's and half a dozen other Ruger Single actions. They are all excellent guns. The Vaquero's shoot good but it can be challenging to find ammo the shoots close to point of aim. As much as I like the looks of the Vaquero I have grown to like the looks of the various adjustable sighted models just as well. The adjustable sights are much more convienient if you want to be able to shoot more than one particular load, especially if you have a convertible model or want to shoot .38's in a .357 etc. All that being said Ruger single action revolvers are my favorite guns. $600 seems a bit high to me.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and I highly recommend the Blackhawk convertible or plain one cylinder one for that matter. For target shooting it is pretty nice
    Most gravatate to the Vaquero's after the Blackhawk. I also have a Ruger single 6 22lr/22 mag convertible and can't recommend Ruger single actions enough. For the price and quality they are hard to beat and like mentioned used blackhawks are also easy to find.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I am looking for a single action revolver to have fun at the range with. Is the vaquero a good one to purchase for 600 dollars?

Yes.
    But there are a lot of others that you might like as well, or better...

Single Action Only (SAO) limits your choices.

SA/DA gives you more options. (Single Action/ Double Action)

You might want to explore both.

But in my experience, DAO (Double Action Only) is really tough at the range.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Yes.
    Single Action Only (SAO) limits your choices.

SA/DA gives you more options. (Single Action/ Double Action)

This is quite true. OP, any particular reason you're after a SAO revolver? You could get a SA/DA and have the best of both worlds. Plus, nailing steel with a nicely tuned revolver in DA is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. Buying new, I suppose a SAO tends to be more affordable, but depending on what you want to do with it, also less practical.

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    This is quite true. OP, any particular reason you're after a SAO revolver? You could get a SA/DA and have the best of both worlds. Plus, nailing steel with a nicely tuned revolver in DA is a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. Buying new, I suppose a SAO tends to be more affordable, but depending on what you want to do with it, also less practical.

I haven't thought about SA/DA. What are some that you recommend i take a look at?

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    I see a few of you recommended the 45 colt. So far i've shot a few 9mm handguns and the kick wasn't too bad. Overall which is better to get the 357 or the 45?

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Have both Vaquero's and Blackhawks, and I much prefer the adjustable sights on the Blackhawks.

As to .357 vs .45 Colt?
    If you load your own.....45 Colt
    If you run store bought, .357

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But in my experience, DAO (Double Action Only) is really tough at the range.

Shooting a DAO revolver is learned. If one cut their teeth on Glocks and striker fired guns as well as 1911's then learning a revolver DAO trigger is a larger learning curve to overcome. I cut my teeth in the early 1980's when EVERYONE used DA revolvers and if they were not DAO they were only shot in DA mode. We have (had) plenty of outstanding marksman back then that outsot the folks shooting Glocks, SIG's, berettas etc in PPC competituon with stock (except for a trigger job) service guns

I see a few of you recommended the 45 colt. So far i've shot a few 9mm handguns and the kick wasn't too bad. Overall which is better to get the 357 or the 45?

357 give you the option of shooting 357 and all 38 special rounds. 45 colt you could shoot 45 schofield rounds as well (like a 38 special to a 357) but 45 schofields are pricy since they are almost exclusivly for CAS shooting. With the price of 38's being not much cheaper then 357's when I price them you might want to take up reloading whatever you choose.

Several people go with the 9/357 convertable because they reload for the 38/357 and run factory 9mm ball through the 9mm cylnder for $10-$14 a box,

Same with the 45 Colt/45acp convertable, they reload both bit 45 Colt factory is EXPENSIVE but sometimes iffy if you can find it where 45 acp is esaly found and not really any more than 357 mag these days.

It is a growing hobby, get your firearm then in a few months you will want to try reloading.

Good luck

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If you already have pistols get a BlackHawk in a caliber you already shoot and load for. There are some that shoot 45LC/45ACP, 9MM/357Mag for example.

I would also advise you toward an adjustable sighted BlackHawk. My Vaquero needed some smithing to get it to shoot straight then would be off if ammo was changed. If you still have to have a Vaquero get an older model. They are much heavier and can really take a beating. New ones are ok for plinking although will not take a lot of full power mags.

Really cant go wrong either way Rugers are a solid choice. Just give it some thought on what 80% of your shooting will be.

Top Bottom