• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ccspec makes 10 round mags for these now but you will likely have to modify the bolt for them to work correctly. Regardless they are GREAT mags, and they are working on 15 rounders for them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    they take a single stack 7.62x54 magazine. You get 5 round VEPR made mags with the rifle, and until recently that was your only option. Now CCSPEC sells 10 round single stack mags, and they are working on a 15 round mag as well.

people have tried to use double stack PSL and SVD mags in these but the receivers just won't support them.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Man, I'm seriously jealous. A VEPR has been on my list for years now. I honestly just need to man up and save up. I always say, "well, it's too much money." then buy other gun stuff. Did you get the threaded barrel? What kind of scope do you have on it?

EDIT: Where did you pick yours up at if you don't mind my asking?

That was the way with me, I've wanted one of these forever and just always found something else at the time to take its place. Yea their threaded they come imported in the country with a pinned barrel nut (easily removable). I got one of the 8x POSP VEPR scopes from Kalinka Optics, I got it off line from Mach 1 Arsenal. They had a 10% coupon code for new years so I jumped on it, plus they were the only ones I found that had the 23" barreled version in stock they are sold out everywhere. Great people to deal with, here is the link https://www.mach1arsenal.com/index....oducts_id=55&zenid=obi4vqk5ah11pih3patkm50rs0

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    they take a single stack 7.62x54 magazine. You get 5 round VEPR made mags with the rifle, and until recently that was your only option. Now CCSPEC sells 10 round single stack mags, and they are working on a 15 round mag as well.

people have tried to use double stack PSL and SVD mags in these but the receivers just won't support them.

Big warning, newer VEPRs 54Rs can have an issue with csspec mags. Take a look here for more info: Csspecs Vepr-54R magazine thread - Page 25 - The AK Files Forums

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got a little more time to do some more shooting here just a little bit ago after putting the Tabuk flashider on the muzzle (huge improvement) The massive fire ball it had previously was rather distracting while shooting even though pretty cool, lol. After the Tabuk flashider pretty much no flash at all and seemed to tame the muzzle rise a little as well.

I have to say the rifle shoots great and for the size of round it shoots its pretty soft shooting. Managed a few decent groups with some light Russian ball and some 178gr Silver Bear. I had no trouble at all hitting 6" steel out to 275 with regularity using the Russian surp ammo. Here is a pic of a few groups after getting it sighted in, as you can after some sustained fire the groups start to wonder and open up a bit. That's to be expected though for the platform and they type of ammo I was shooting. I honestly don't think I've had as much fun shooting a rifle as one of these, its just flat out a ton of fun. I just need to get some more ammo for it now :D

VEPR_target_1.jpg

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm with sgreen3, the VEPR54R is a lot of fun to shoot. I have some older footage from my time on the range. In the cold, it looks like a big puff of air is blasting out.

[video]https://youtu.be/9cqEftmdUjU[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/flNPRfDbbHo[/video]

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm with sgreen3, the VEPR54R is a lot of fun to shoot. I have some older footage from my time on the range. In the cold, it looks like a big puff of air is blasting out.

[video]https://youtu.be/9cqEftmdUjU[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/flNPRfDbbHo[/video]

Ha ha that actually happened to me on Friday when I took it out for the first time and blew one of the steel targets off the holder at 275 lol. I'm hoping to get a review video of the rifle done for my channel after I get some more ammo ordered for it. That's the best way I can put it though, this rifle is just fun. it serves really no other purpose for me other than the big smile on my face while and after I'm done shooting it :D

indyguy333

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2015
    Huntington
    Very nice, I got a VEPR in .308 just because ammo selection is better here. Using Hornady Match ammo, I get around 2 MOA. Not great, but I'm also not the world's best shooter. It IS still the AK system, and that huge piston moving is going to limit the weapon's inherent accuracy. I think the best I could squeeze out of it consistently would be 1.5 MOA if I practiced and got a better trigger.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea, you really have to go into a rifle like this with realistic expectations as to what it can and cannot do. Being a moa to sub-moa isn't really going to be one of them, but for its intended use as a DMR style rifle it hits the nail on the head and is more than sufficient in that role. With a big plus going to its just a fun rifle to go shoot and the 54r round hits hard lol. I can totally understand going with 308 in one, if I hadn't already had a LR308 that's probably the route I would have went myself, but I had to talk myself out of the 30-06 model a couple times :laugh:

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Agree with what has been said here - it's a hoot to shoot, but I do not expect it to shoot 2MOA with surplus.
    Can anyone tell me what optic systems work the best besides the RS Regulate AK-303? I'm looking for a solid solution that not $200+ for the mount system alone...the leapers I bought fits tight but is offset of the bore.
    IMG_E1198.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    vBTJzbU.jpg

Love mine. Older picture from before I got csspec 10 rounders. Dead nuts accurate with 1987 produced ammunition, pathetically easy to connect with out to the longest range I have locally (300 meters).

Stay away from polymer mags when you have the choice of steel mags for almost the same price. Here's a cell picture with the CSSpec 10 rounders.

SPG3mjg.jpg

Optic is an NPZ produced PO4x24, I repinned an AK mount onto it to fit the rifle properly as the strange sporting mount it came with set the optic too far rearward.

The stock is made by legion out of russia and is exceptionally nice. The forend has steel reinforcement pins, it's far more robust than the flimsy factory wood, which is the only reason I got this stock.
    Be warned, this stock requires a LOT of fitting, I spent a good solid 4 hours with sandpaper and blocks to get it to fit snuggly. The whole rifle will ring like a tuning fork now.

I wonder if the barrel could be threaded without a lathe, I'd love to have SOMETHING to tame the flash on this thing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom