• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Jay.. you are talking about VA care, he is making it sound like the claims for these Veterans is sped up faster than other Veterans, so untrue.. and the only reason it should be sped up for a Veteran is if he or she has "extraordinary circumstances" for sure. Other than that.. we all should have the same waiting time, if not.. that would be so unfair!

The process for obtaining health care is a bit different than the process for claims for compensation and pension due to service-connection. Service-connection claim times can vary widely depending on the amount of (or lack of) supporting evidence, documentation, eyewitness accounts, or other relevant information. Some claims have much better documentation than others, and that does have an impact on the time frame required to award benefits/compensation. The theater of operations, or the "era" of operations has no bearing on any of the claims being expedited.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    are things such as hearing loss and tinitus problems that can be claimed for disability? i was a 0331 in the corps and have it bad from time to time.
    if this is something i can claim, where do i initiate the process? im new to the relm of VA care thanks

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    are things such as hearing loss and tinitus problems that can be claimed for disability? i was a 0331 in the corps and have it bad from time to time.
    if this is something i can claim, where do i initiate the process? im new to the relm of VA care thanks

Yes, tinnitus, and hearing loss can both be claimed for compensation. There is a Veteran's Service officer in Marion County. (phone book under Gov't offices) That individual is not a VA employee. They can help you file your claim. DO NOT SURRENDER ORIGINAL MILITARY DOCUMENTS INCLUDING YOUR DD-214 TO ANYONE. The VA will make whatever copies they need. A Veteran's service organization (VFW, American Legion, etc.) can also assist in filing. After you file your claim, you will be contacted for a Compensation and Pension exam related to your claim. You will be paid travel round trip from your home to the exam site, and the exam is done at no charge to you. After the exam, it will take a matter of 4-6 months for your claim to be decided upon, and you will be notified by mail.

For further information....

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

Thanks for your service. If I can help, please holler..... :patriot:

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    My step father is the head of the VA benefits in Indy. If you have any questions let me know. He is good at making sure you are getting all the money you are supposed to be getting.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My step father is the head of the VA benefits in Indy. If you have any questions let me know. He is good at making sure you are getting all the money you are supposed to be getting.

well heck yea!! about how long does it usually take to get evaluated after the application process for benifits is completed? i received a later about a week later that said i would be contacted asap to help determine the status of my claim. is it a waiting game from here on out?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    So way back when I sent the request to get my Health Records from St Louis and they said they had been sent to the VA.

I'm trying to make my claim as accurate as possible, but I don't remember enough of the details from the mid 80's to fill out how my conditions are related to service.

I know if I file they will dig through my records, but I don't want to make it look like I'm being making stuff up if it doesn't match my records.

I called the Regional Office, they made an appointment and called me back, but the guy made it sound like I couldn't get my records and should just file a claim, the sooner the better.

Not really sure how to proceed.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Contact the Veterans Service Officer in your county, and he will help you file your claim. In addition to the VSO, you'll want to have him enlist the aid of a service organization, (VFW, DAV, AL) to act as your power of attorney during the claim process. They deal with claims every day, and are an invaluable resource. Since St Louis sent your records to the VA, the VA and St. Louis can sort things out between themselves much easier than you getting involved, and trying to relay information. The claims process can be a lengthy one (14 months or so), but when your claim is settled, you'll receive back pay from the date you filed your claim.

Thanks for your service, and best of luck to you.... :patriot:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    So I take it that it's better to file paper so a service org can get involved and help, versus submitting online?

Absolutely. Your local Veterans' Service Officer can make all the service organization contacts for you. You only have to choose which one.

Suggestion/s... leave no original documents anywhere, or with anyone. Every person you will show documents to, has access to a copy machine. Make copies of EVERYTHING. Take your originals with you, but take them home with you as well. That being said, you may file for benefits online, but I've found that face to face results in better service. If you want to file online, the link is here....

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenef...async=false&_pageLabel=ebenefits_myeb_vonapp1

:patriot:

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Suggestion/s... leave no original documents anywhere, or with anyone. Every person you will show documents to, has access to a copy machine. Make copies of EVERYTHING. Take your originals with you, but take them home with you as well.

The only "original" I have is a DD214. Never did get a copy of my health records on the way out the door.

Should I be collecting a copy of all of my various medical record since I've been out? I've spend most of my time since ETS up in Indy, but now live 90 minutes away. I was under the impression the VA would request them from the doctor anyway.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    The VA will request your records. The more accurate the location of your records, the better the chances are of ALL of your records being located. If you go get your own records, it will very likely speed up the process.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    do you have any current information on the federal side for compitation from the contaiminated water at Camp Lejuene? This has to do with marine and civilian personnel from I beleve 1958 to 1985?, who were exposed to drinking water contaimated from mofuel and dry cleaning fulids, have a hard time finding anything current about the situation. Thank you for your service
    semper-fi

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    do you have any current information on the federal side for compitation from the contaiminated water at Camp Lejuene? This has to do with marine and civilian personnel from I beleve 1958 to 1985?, who were exposed to drinking water contaimated from mofuel and dry cleaning fulids, have a hard time finding anything current about the situation. Thank you for your service
    semper-fi

I know the investigation is ongoing, but I don't know the current status. I'd suggest you contact the Indianapolis Regional Office at......

Indianapolis RO Home

Semper Fi ... :patriot:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Here's a question I have not seen addressed here yet: on my mileage reimbursement is a "Line 14, Applied Deductible, $6.00," every round-trip. No reason, no page, no line, no source,* no authorizing signature. They just grab out my cash because they can get away with it. Don't give us excuses, Buyer, Pence, because YOUR help does NOT have their money grabbed out. How do we Disabled Veterans fix this, and make it retro-active to when it was originally applied? Let's DO it. We earned it.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Many Veterans don't get travel pay at all. I doubt you could get any civilian doctor to pay you ANYTHING to show up for an appointment.

Reimbursement of Travel Costs
    Eligible Veterans may be provided mileage reimbursement or, when
    medically indicated, special mode transport (e.g. wheelchair van,
    ambulance) when traveling for approved VA medical care. Mileage
    reimbursement is 41.5 cents per mile and is subject to a deductible
    of $3 for each one-way trip and $6 for a round trip; with a maximum
    deductible of $18 or the amount after six one-way trips (whichever
    occurs first) per calendar month. The deductible may be waived
    when travel is in relation to a VA compensation or pension examination;
    travel is by special mode; or when imposition would cause a
    severe financial hardship.

Eligibility: The following are eligible for VA travel reimbursement:

Veterans rated 30 percent or more service-connected .
    Veterans traveling for treatment of service-connected
    conditions.
    Veterans who receive a VA pension.
    Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension
    examinations.
    Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum
    annual VA pension rate.
    Veterans in certain emergency situations.
    Veterans whose medical condition requires a special mode of
    transportation and travel is pre-authorized. (Advanced
    authorization is not required in an emergency and a delay
    would be hazardous to life or health). Certain non-Veterans when related to care of a Veteran (Caregivers, attendants & donors).

http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book/2012_IS1_English.pdf ... page 9.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "Many veterans don't get ... " Boo-hoo. I did not sign on to the three years' duty in 'Nam just to get the travel reimbursement, as it seems you are implying. It is THEIR ruLes, and they are CHEATING US NOW just because they can. We gave 100%; THEY WANT TO DISCOUNT THAT. STOP with your sorry excuses, soldier, and give ALL OF US an idea how we CAN GET OUR MONEY BACK. The V.A. is funded to pay ALL of our travel pay, yet they screw us out of a crummy $6 a trip to make their budget look better. BOHICA. (WHY IS IT SO HARD TO REPLY TO A MESSAGE NOW THAN BEFORE?)

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It wasn't any "civilian" doctor who sent us to 'Nam, BTW. We all went there in perfect shape. I should have gone to Canada, listened to the stewardesses. Now we're all blown away. For nothing. At least the mind sorta works. I get mad real easy. Take your stupid prizes and ... Who knew?

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Boo hoo is correct. I make no excuses. I started this thread in an effort to assist Veterans. I've tried to do that. I don't pass out kleenex, or crying towels, or make excuses where there are none. As far as I'm concerned you can shove your $6 and pack it deep. Your attitude casts a shadow over all honorable Veterans. Figure out your own petty little problems, you certainly don't need my help.

Top Bottom