• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • piper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Just wanted to say Thank you all for your service. If any of you need any help my grandfather was a Veterans Service officer in Brown County for a long time and is more than willing to help a fellow service member any way he can. I'm sure there are other service officers on this site but feel free to pm and I will get you in contact with him if you need it. Thanks again

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    BTW, YOU are NOT under-appreciated for what you are doing. Semper Fi, or your bag. That means MORE than you'll ever know to this Airman. It's just that the system still sucks so bad ....

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Apologies. I tend to react to what I'm presented with, and it's not always the best way to go.

Well sir, now I"m trying to figure out if you're cycling on your meds, or if you just had a bad day yesterday. I hope you're able to settle down a bit. The "system" rarely suits everyone, and that's the nature of the beast. The travel issue is detailed at the national level, and the staff that oversee the system in any VA facility have absolutely no control over it.

EvilBlackGun, I can't do anything about the travel deductible, but I'll be around if you have an issue that you think I may be able to shed light on. Take care, and thank you for your service.

Piper, thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

:patriot:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    My step father is the head of the VA benefits in Indy. If you have any questions let me know. He is good at making sure you are getting all the money you are supposed to be getting.

I PM'd this member above back when he made this statement, no repsonse from him at all I might add (even still to this very day).

I think if someone makes a claim like this one above and another Veteran asks for assistance they'd at least PM said member back (common courtesy and decency).

I guess not though, just one more reason we need a thread for Veterans of INGO ONLY.. so people like this dlbrown can't post their :poop:.

I got what I needed handled.. no thanks to him I might also add!

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I got what I needed handled.. no thanks to him I might also add!

I've caught and responded to most of the inquiries in this thread. If I missed yours, I apologies, but I'm glad you were able to get what you needed.

Thanks for your service. :patriot:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I just deal with my VSO when it comes to the VA, any other way and I can't get anything done. I have hardly no issues with the Hospital side (VHA), but the VBA is full of incompetent VA employees. I understand the frustration with the VA, we Veterans definitely deserve better. Civilians have no idea how badly certain parts of the VA treat us just because we are seeking legitmate help. Sometimes I wish I hadn't even served, let alone honorably like I did. Jay helps out of his own free will, keep this in mind everyone! I will not direct my frustration at him, only where it needs to be directed with the VA. Never fight the VA solo... Get a VSO! I wish someone had told me this years ago, it could have saved me a lot of time and money. Let other competent people help you, that's what VSO's are for to help Veterans.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you explain what a VSO is?

My step dad's been dealing with the VA in Danville, IN / Indy for the last few years - but I often don't think that A) HE knows enough about the system to take advantage of what he's allowed, or B) the folks he deals with know enough about the system to assist him. (Cardiac issues - no private health insurance)

-J-

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Can you explain what a VSO is?

My step dad's been dealing with the VA in Danville, IN / Indy for the last few years - but I often don't think that A) HE knows enough about the system to take advantage of what he's allowed, or B) the folks he deals with know enough about the system to assist him. (Cardiac issues - no private health insurance)

-J-

A Veteran Service Officer (VSO).. i.e. the DAV, VVA, VFW, American Legion and so on. I've made it a top priority in my life to help out as many other Veterans in legitimate need as much as I possibly can. Always VSO up, they are basically an Attorney for Veterans rights when dealing directly with the VA paperwork side (VBA). Jay will probably elaborate, but what I'm saying is rule number one when dealing with the VA should be to always "lawyer up" with a VSO. Once you do that, the flood gates of information will certainly open up for you or whomever.

racr28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    Vincennes, IN
    are things such as hearing loss and tinitus problems that can be claimed for disability? i was a 0331 in the corps and have it bad from time to time.
    if this is something i can claim, where do i initiate the process? im new to the relm of VA care thanks

I claimed Tinnitus during my initial claims process. I was rated at 10% even though my hearing exam did not show any evidence. The rating said since I was a combat infantryman(11B30), I would get 10% without any further evidence.

I was rated at a total of 100% and the total time it took was 4 weeks to get a rating. I had to go get a reevaluation after being retired one year. That took 3 weeks to get a 100% rating. Both exams were done in Nashville, TN.

I did not use any services that help file the paperwork. I found the process straight forward, but some of my soldiers in other parts of the country had nothing but problems with there claims. Most of them were successful in their claims after getting help from one of the service organization.

Top Bottom