• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is why the FATS machines have been so popular with police departments for so long. It is nothing more than a enhanced video machine. great training.

Lots of fun too....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There have been several studies done over the last 20-25 years on how video gaming can increase hand/eye coordination; and that it's not all mindless drivel.

ONE of the studies was done on surgeons, I believe, who grew up playing video games vs. those that didn't.

-J-

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There have been several studies done over the last 20-25 years on how video gaming can increase hand/eye coordination; and that it's not all mindless drivel.

ONE of the studies was done on surgeons, I believe, who grew up playing video games vs. those that didn't.

-J-

For the amount of time I am logging playing COD MW3 I should be shooting like Jerry Miculek!!!!:D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't think video games help with shooting a real gun but they due increase your reflexes which in turn could increase your accuracy

That's correct.

It doesn't have to be "shooting" video games that translate into better hand/eye coordination. It is, broadly, just "video games" that do it.

-J-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As a mostly "non-gamer" I never paid much attention to the media violence debate. Recently while reading Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's fantastic book On Combat, he has a section on video game violence.

The section that really stood out to me was when he talks about the shooter in the Paducah, KY shootings. Out of 8 shots fired, this kid made 8 hits, all in the heads and upper torsos of his victims. That kind of accuracy is UNHEARD OF, even by elite combat shooters. This kid "trained" day-after-day on 1st person shooter games, then shot 2 magazines to acclimate himself to the real deal just a few days before starting his massacre.

Really made me think. . . . .

You can read the excerpt for yourself here: On Combat, Media Violence

I would also recommend the rest of the chapter, or buying the complete book.

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    That video was great. I enjoy playing violent video games. The Grand Theft Auto series of games are my favorite. Lots of great weapons, amazing game play, and a chance to be a badass in some small way. I have three boys, the oldest being 5.5. I let them watch me play sometimes, when I am just driving around or racing. They love it. They love the fact that the cars can fly (cheat codes), float on water, and I can jump out of an airplane and not die. But if I ask them if they can do that in real life, they know it is VIRTUAL REALITY. And that is from a 5 and 3 year old. I hope to introduce them to guns when they are ready, and if they are raised right (God help me) they will STILL know the difference between video games and reality. If not, that first kick and bang from a 22 will bring them back to earth right quick.

Kory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    I read some where that video game playing girls had fewer school problems and beter relationships. It was not as good for boys

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    this explains why im such a good shot!!! haha

first person shooters are the ****. been playing medal of honor since the first one came out when i was in grade school. then call of duty to battlefield. i rocomend battlefield over any other first person shooter game. tons of guns and **** to add to them.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    this explains why im such a good shot!!! haha

first person shooters are the ****. been playing medal of honor since the first one came out when i was in grade school. then call of duty to battlefield. i rocomend battlefield over any other first person shooter game. tons of guns and **** to add to them.

agreed 100%:ar15:

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As a mostly "non-gamer" I never paid much attention to the media violence debate. Recently while reading Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's fantastic book On Combat, he has a section on video game violence.

The section that really stood out to me was when he talks about the shooter in the Paducah, KY shootings. Out of 8 shots fired, this kid made 8 hits, all in the heads and upper torsos of his victims. That kind of accuracy is UNHEARD OF, even by elite combat shooters. This kid "trained" day-after-day on 1st person shooter games, then shot 2 magazines to acclimate himself to the real deal just a few days before starting his massacre.

Really made me think. . . . .

You can read the excerpt for yourself here: On Combat, Media Violence

I would also recommend the rest of the chapter, or buying the complete book.

Woah, that is interesting ... sure would save a lot of ammo, gas, driving and range fees to just play some FPS games.... :ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Woah, that is interesting ... sure would save a lot of ammo, gas, driving and range fees to just play some FPS games.... :ar15:

There is one important difference to consider. The shooters in the examples given in the article were all of an offensive nature. As law-abiding gun owners, we tend to train exclusively for circumstances of a defensive nature.

Very different animals.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well, I just spent two hours reading that and the associated/linked material.

I have to say, I think that its at least partially true. They always say that "practice makes perfect."

We train fighter pilots in digital simulations, and it improves their skills; why wouldn't the same be true of other things?

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    First time I ever shot, the guy asked me if it was really my first time. I said yes, but I think it's due to all the video games I played cause the shots were accurate. I think they help too.

Top Bottom