• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Mx2UcSEvQ"]YouTube - FOPA Hughes Amendment VOTE APRIL 10 1986[/ame]

Notice that the Amendment FAILS by recorded vote by a large margin, but Rangel then does an additional voice vote, and improperly ignores requests for a roll call.

In the House record (PDF), the recorded vote has been erased, though clearly shown on the video. Corruption. Lies. Deceit.

Those that don't know what the Hughes Amendment is, it bans any new machinegun manufactured after 1986, inflating the cost of MG's to excessive levels.

922(o) was improperly and illegally enacted, and this shows how it happened, for the first time.

Credit goes to AR15.com members and AJAX22 in particular, who made the request for the archive footage.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This sort of thing happens all the time. Watch your own Indiana legislature on CSPAN some time. It's disgusting.

I wish I could say that the video would make a difference, but after 25 years nothing has been done about it. It's unlikely that anything ever will be done about it.

mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    This sort of thing happens all the time. Watch your own Indiana legislature on CSPAN some time. It's disgusting.

I wish I could say that the video would make a difference, but after 25 years nothing has been done about it. It's unlikely that anything ever will be done about it.

This video has not been seen in 25 years, and even then was only seen by those watching CSPAN at the time of the vote.

All we can do is try here.... all it takes is another amendment to repeal 922(o).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This video has not been seen in 25 years, and even then was only seen by those watching CSPAN at the time of the vote.

All we can do is try here.... all it takes is another amendment to repeal 922(o).

The video may not have been passed around, but the fact that the amendment was passed under extremely questionable circumstances is well known and widely documented, especially among NFA enthusiasts. So far, it hasn't made a difference. However, don't take that to mean that I'm trying to stop you. I'd love to see that ridiculous amendment repealed. I'm just not holding out any hope.

mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    The video may not have been passed around, but the fact that the amendment was passed under extremely questionable circumstances is well known and widely documented, especially among NFA enthusiasts. So far, it hasn't made a difference. However, don't take that to mean that I'm trying to stop you. I'd love to see that ridiculous amendment repealed. I'm just not holding out any hope.

I understand you completely.

This video is giving strength to a new spearhead to repeal or disqualify Hughes. It reinforces what we already knew... that Hughes was passed wrongly... but we never had the proof. They deleted the proof from the record of the House.

Pro-gun, pro NFA congressman should be forwarded this video.....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I understand you completely.

This video is giving strength to a new spearhead to repeal or disqualify Hughes. It reinforces what we already knew... that Hughes was passed wrongly... but we never had the proof. They deleted the proof from the record of the House.

Pro-gun, pro NFA congressman should be forwarded this video.....
    Is there a discussion thread on arfcom? I browsed the class iii section but didn't see one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, so what do we do about it?

Who do we send this to?

You don't. The dubious inclusion of the amendment was a matter of Congressional procedure, which is not subject to judicial review. The bill was legally passed as amended. You would have to somehow convince the Courts that the entire bill was passed illegally, and then you kill the whole FOPA, not just the parts you don't like. To repeal the amendment, you would have to pass additional legislation. I just don't see that happening any time soon.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield

Agreed.

This really shouldn't be a shock. Lawmakers don't read what they vote on so it shouldn't really matter which way they vote either. So long as the new laws that do get pushed through help keep us all safe...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As I told AJAX22 2 months ago when he mentioned this on TFL, it is NOT the first time the video has been seen, or seen on other than C-SPAN. I remember 1986, it was shown on all the nightly newscasts along with a description of the controversy about the vote. It didn't matter. Didn't matter then, doesn't matter now, it's well known, millions upon millions saw it then, and there were actually members of Congress at the time interested in getting it overturned. The Dems held the House, they had the gavel, whoever has the House gavel can judge a voice vote any way they want. They can ignore the shouts in opposition and calls for a polled vote. That's the danger you face when you give them the gavel, that they'll let a crooked, anti-gun zealot like Charlie hold it and do what he wants with it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    . The Dems held the House, they had the gavel, whoever has the House gavel can judge a voice vote any way they want. They can ignore the shouts in opposition and calls for a polled vote. That's the danger you face when you give them the gavel, that they'll let a crooked, anti-gun zealot like Charlie hold it and do what he wants with it.

Don't the Republicans hold the gavel now? Can't there be a role reversal?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't the Republicans hold the gavel now? Can't there be a role reversal?
    Yup, that's a big difference. As a matter of fact, this is already being discussed with the speaker of the house by several pro-gun representatives. Word has it that there is a proper avenue to have a law struck down because Robert's Rules were not followed in the making of the law. All of this since just this morning.

Anybody that says it can't be done is just being apathetic. :twocents:

The only reason it hasn't been done before is because nobody stood up and yelled about it. Stand up and scream it from the rooftops people.

ETA, this video has not been around for decades. This is the first this video has ever been seen since it was aired live on c-span. There is a lot of firepower in it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It's starting to look like the ban is a lie, but when it comes to our government, this wouldn't be the first, and I doubt the last law we are shackled with that never truly passed by legal vote.

Hey, just because they lied to us once doesn't mean they aren't going to lie to us over and over. I seem to remember a controversy on how the income tax actually became law. In this case though there seems to be more evidence that our rights have been not only unconstitutionally infringed upon, but illegally unconstitutionally infringed upon.

Top Bottom