• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I visited the traveling wall with the humvee. The veterans and kids got a kick out of it. My father got to remember some old friends.
    attachment.php

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just saw the original in DC recently. Then saw the WW2 memorial. Makes me proud to an American and ashamed of my president and Congress.

There seems to be some truth in the old saying, "The good die young." Seems some of my generation's best died in Viet Nam and we poorer for it. We had better than McCain and Kerry.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've visited the traveling Wall twice and The Wall in DC once. Its hard to describe the emotions. The distance between the names of individuals killed not that far apart in time is quite telling.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Just like the first time I saw it I still tear up whenever I see it. I lost a cousin and two very dear friends to that 'conflict'. None of them made it past two months in-country. After Naval 'A' school I volunteered for duty on the river boats and was denied. So I tried again and got the same response along with a note from my controller that stated since I had volunteered twice I must be 'crazy' and crazy wasn't allowed on the river boats. I was an Airdale anyway and was assigned to an attack squadron instead...and was promptly sent to the Tonkin Gulf and South China Sea with our air wing for 13 months. Still didn't get in-country though.

Visiting the Wall and the WWII memorial is on my bucket list. I'll get there someday.

plinker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    SE
    I haven't seen the traveling wall(heard that it is just as emotional as the original). I have been to DC to seen the original, the Korean, and the WWII....all were amazing and emotional.

I had the opportunity to be a chaperone for an Honor Flight(free trip to DC for WWII and Korean War veterans).....one of the coolest things I have ever done....highly recommended. These men deserved the star treatment they received that day!!!!

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I saw the traveling wall when it was at IPFW, years ago. I couldn't even get close. Just too emotional. I served two tours in Nam, the first tour as a grunt with the 173rd Airborne and the second tour as a REMP. Have a couple guys from my unit on the wall but it happened so many years ago I don't even remember their names. Four years ago my wife, son and I went to DC on vacation. I did go to the wall and it was very hard to be there so we didn't stay too long. I'm glad we went but I'll never go back.

Top Bottom