• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is the best presentation of the views of the Founding Fathers on the right to keep and bear arms and the importance of the Second Amendment. It is worth the time it takes to view.

Firearms Firearms

Check it out. :patriot:

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Good presentation. Some I had seen but others were new to me. Really liked the specific reference to "pistols and rifles". Thanks for sharing.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Good presentation. Of note, the quote from George Washington is false. Washington never said it.

Otherwise, well done.

Blessings,
    Bill

I did not check out the data contained in the presentation. I just presented it as I found it. So "I do not have a dog in the fight" applies here. I do not have a need to prove I am right. I also realize it is extremely difficult to prove a negative.

Nonetheless, I would like to know how you can be sure Washington "never said it." Can you provide the true origin of the comment? Or can you provide the source of the incorrect attribution, how the quote came to be incorrectly attributed to Washington?

Again, not trying to be nasty here. Just asking for some additional information—like I should have done with the original posting.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I did not check out the data contained in the presentation. I just presented it as I found it. So "I do not have a dog in the fight" applies here. I do not have a need to prove I am right. I also realize it is extremely difficult to prove a negative.

Nonetheless, I would like to know how you can be sure Washington "never said it." Can you provide the true origin of the comment? Or can you provide the source of the incorrect attribution, how the quote came to be incorrectly attributed to Washington?

Again, not trying to be nasty here. Just asking for some additional information—like I should have done with the original posting.

I never have a problem with someone seeking information. :) Rep added.

I don't have it off the top of my head, but I've read several sources that report having perused all his speeches and known letters and finding that quote absent. In addition, I recall that the choice of words was not fitting to the day.

I did find a forum post which I'll PM to you to stay within INGO copyright rules. For others interested, the source cites in the forum post I found are an analysis by Clayton Cramer (Cramer, Clayton, Firing Back, 1995)

And

[noparse]http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html[/noparse]

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I never have a problem with someone seeking information. :) Rep added.

I don't have it off the top of my head, but I've read several sources that report having perused all his speeches and known letters and finding that quote absent. In addition, I recall that the choice of words was not fitting to the day.

I did find a forum post which I'll PM to you to stay within INGO copyright rules. For others interested, the source cites in the forum post I found are an analysis by Clayton Cramer (Cramer, Clayton, Firing Back, 1995)

And

[noparse]http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html[/noparse]

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill,

Thanks for doing the research and for sending me the documentation for your assertion. Based on the data I have seen, I agree with you that it is very unlikely that Washington actually made that statement.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill,

Thanks for doing the research and for sending me the documentation for your assertion. Based on the data I have seen, I agree with you that it is very unlikely that Washington actually made that statement.

We all learn stuff like this at different times... The presentation is good info; the person who compiled it just didn't have reason to look to find out if that one quote was erroneously attributed.

I'm confident that INGO members can separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom