• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've read plenty of articles on the Bruen case, but I had not heard of this Vincent case until today when I stumbled upon. The below article is from December 2023.

Cliff Notes:

2008 incident where a woman was convicted of trying to cash a $500 fraudulent check.

Sentenced to probation only and restitution.

Federal felony - only way to possess a firearm ever again is Presidential Pardon.

Highlights the issue with non-violent felons never being able to possess a firearm ever again.

I for one hope the Supreme Court starts taking up some of these cases and solidifies the Bruen stance.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2023/1...al-government-supreme-court-second-amendment/

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Just curious, what is everyone's thoughts about non-violent felons having their gun rights restored (if the Supreme Court takes action to allow this to happen)?

White collar criminals, regardless of $ harm, ok? Or is there a limit to the financial harm incurred to victims which would influence whether you would be ok with their gun rights restored?

Drug offenses?

What about single, violent offenses which have not had another occurrence for 15-20 years? Say battery and it was a one-time, isolated incident long ago?

Just trying to hear thoughts on the matter.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Any violent offense, no. Sorry about your luck.
    Drug offenses will depend, was it violent, were there deaths involved? Or did you get popped for having a joint on you three different times?
    White collar, non-violent I don't see an issue.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Incarceration should be at hard labor. Once your debt to society is complete as adjudicated, your punishment should end and you should be reintegrated into society fully. That means no parole, no time off for good behavior, or other reductions in sentence.

Capital punishment needs to be used for all cases of murder. Murder being the willful killing of another human with intent.

The combination of parole, reduction in sentences, practical elimination of capital punishment, and law changes which functionally disenfranchised those who have otherwise completed their debt to society only reinforce a permanent criminal underclass.

Better to fully restore those who have completed their sentence with minimal amount of continuing impacts on their reintegration into society and let the next infraction take it's full toll.

I consider much of today's revolving door Justice to simply be the irrational extension of what we have been doing on the state and national levels for decades. Sentences were shortened either for good behavior or via parole, capital punishment has been all been eliminated. These changes fundamentally undermine the punishment the law permits and returns criminals to society much sooner than they otherwise would be returned. This needs to stop!

Top Bottom