• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I have an opportunity to pickup a colt 1851 from a friend for dirt cheap(aka he needs money bad). The thing is, I don't know crap about them...:dunno:

So if you fine gents could educate me in what I need to pay special attention to, how to tell if its original and not a repo, ect. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    A repro will have proof marks and the manufacturer's name somewhere. Hopefully it wouldn't look really old.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have an opportunity to pickup a colt 1851 from a friend for dirt cheap(aka he needs money bad). The thing is, I don't know crap about them...:dunno:

So if you fine gents could educate me in what I need to pay special attention to, how to tell if its original and not a repo, ect. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Wild Bill Hickock loved them. Is the frame steel or brass? I would count on it being a replica and if in good shape I would try to get it for $100-$125.

ajmmin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Assuming it is a reproduction and you don't want to shoot using powder, it is possible to convert the 1851 to shoot cartridges. You could take it to a professional gunsmith or try out one of these.

I have a friend that did it himself on one with a brass frame. Can't say that I recommend that.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I asked him about the frame, he's pretty sure the frame is steel and the trigger guard is brass? I'm gonna go check it out today or possibly tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I do.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'd almost bet on it being a repro, and give odds that it's Italian-made. Personally, if it's not one with the steel frame I'd pass if I were looking to be actually shooting it much.

I own several repro cap-and-ball revolvers and enjoy shooting them a lot. My favorite shooters are the .44 cal. Colt 1860 Army models. The 1858/1860 Remingtons (I have three of these, too) were a more "advanced" design and have a better sighting arrangement, but the Colt Army's grip fits my largish hands better and I love the way they balance and point for me.

I do have one .36 cal. repro, an 1862 Colt "Police" with 5 1/2" barrel that I shoot quite a bit. Just like the bigger "boom" that the .44s make a bit better.

Shooting C&B revolvers can be great fun, if you're willing to take the time to learn how they work and put up with some messiness. There're some good "stickies" about their care and feeding in the Black Powder forum on The High Road website.

Top Bottom