• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    The old shop truck is startin to look pretty ratty. Bed and cab corners are rusting out. I'll fix the cab corners and am building a nice aluminum flatbed for it. That doesn't help my paint issue though... Was thinking of just wrapping the entire cab with vinyl. Would like to get something custom printed with the company logo.

Any places good for that around here?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Kustom tint and graphics in schererville, maybe carteks schererville too, not 100% sure they do it tho. Broadway auto glass in Merrillville too.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I just saw a place today while heading south on 41 over the bridge by Home depot. Not sure of the name but they definitely do vehicle wraps. Its on the north west side of the bridge.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Save your money. If you're having paint issues a reputable company won't wrap it. There's too much liability with adhesion issues, not to mention rust. This is what I do for a living and learned quickly not to take on older vehicles with old paint because the paint would come off under the vinyl and you're screwed. You're talking roughly $1k-$2k for a quality job. Spend that on a vehicle that will last so you can get the biggest return on investment.
    Good luck!

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    hmmm......

See, here's the issue. This truck is a 97 and has 130k on it. I know it'll last another 10 years yet. A new truck is $50k and I dont want to do that. I'm planning to cut out/fix the rust on the cab. What I'm trying to avoid is the countless hours of sanding/filler/sanding for paint prep and all that fun stuff.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    When the paint starts oxidizing or the surface isn't clean and smooth is when there's issues. On most older vehicles the paint is oxidized really bad and that causes adhesion issues because the print will stick to the paint dust on the surface. If your truck's clear coat is still in good shape and your repairs are finished extremely smooth, there might not be any problems. I've had people bring me box trucks that were "recently painted" with latex house paint on the box and the masking tape used to hold the prints in place at the start of the job will peel that off.
    Make sure all of your door jams and hood are clean on the inside (1" in from edge) also since the prints wrap around giving you a seamless "painted on" look.
    Best I can recommend is take it to a wrap shop and see what they can do for you. It's hard for me to give advice without seeing it.
    Hope this helps, again, good luck.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Also, from what you said in your second post, you're just replacing fresh paint with a wrap. In either case the prep work will still need done. Vinyl won't fill in holes or crevices any more than paint will.

Top Bottom