• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife brought this up last night. From the sound of it NON-residents are getting the permit from VA so they can carry in their HOME state? Like, not getting your LTCH from IN, but getting the VA CCW permit so you can carry here. Sounded.... odd.

How many states recognize out of state permits for residents?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My wife brought this up last night. From the sound of it NON-residents are getting the permit from VA so they can carry in their HOME state? Like, not getting your LTCH from IN, but getting the VA CCW permit so you can carry here. Sounded.... odd.

How many states recognize out of state permits for residents?
    I've read of PA residents doing that. It seems that some PA residents don't qualify for a resident permit, but can get one from FL and possibly others. Some states, unlike IN, will honor an out of state permit carried by a resident.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    It looks like this one requires a photo ID too. The Arizona one still sounds better.

How much is the Arizona permit?

Ohio only recognizes an Arizona resident license, which would be a problem. I'd like to find the most reasonable option to get licenses that cover as many states as absolutely possible.

Getting Utah will add WA, NE, MN, OH, WV, VA, DE

Arizona adds NM, KS, NE, WV, VA, DE. However, you don't get OH, MN or WA. OH would be the big one for most of us.

Florida adds WA, NM, KS, NE, OH, WV, VA, DE, but is $117 for 7 years, with renewal same amount, whereas UT is $51 for 5 years, with renewal only $15. Only state you don't get with FL is MN. Depending on cost, it may be beneficial to get both UT and AZ non-res licenses, vs. just FL.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    PHP:
    Permit  Renewal 

The renewal process is identical to  the processes and costs associated with 
    the original permit with the exception  of proof of competence with a handgun.  
    New photos and fingerprint  impressions will be required. It is suggested that 
    all renewal application  packages be submitted at least 60 days prior to 
    expiration of the existing  permit.
    From the VA website on non-resident permits..... means a renewal is the same $100/ 5 years as a new application......

Utah still seems the best overall value.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Ohio only recognizes an Arizona resident license, which would be a problem. I'd like to find the most reasonable option to get licenses that cover as many states as absolutely possible.

Getting Utah will add WA, NE, MN, OH, WV, VA, DE

Arizona adds NM, KS, NE, WV, VA, DE. However, you don't get OH, MN or WA. OH would be the big one for most of us.

Florida adds WA, NM, KS, NE, OH, WV, VA, DE, but is $117 for 7 years, with renewal same amount, whereas UT is $51 for 5 years, with renewal only $15. Only state you don't get with FL is MN. Depending on cost, it may be beneficial to get both UT and AZ non-res licenses, vs. just FL.
    IIRC AZ was $65.00 for four years and $44.00 renewal. I went with both AZ and UT. When you figure in renewal costs, it seems like the most bang for the buck to me.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    IIRC AZ was $65.00 for four years and $44.00 renewal. I went with both AZ and UT. When you figure in renewal costs, it seems like the most bang for the buck to me.

Sounds like what I'll do. By combining those 2, you'll get everything you get from FL, plus you add MN, while still being cheaper overall than the cost of FL license.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    C'mon guys (and gals) the only real answer is to get them all!!! Hold a resident Indiana, non-resident Utah, Arizona, Florida and a Virginia !!!

Any others we can get....? ;)

I could see the look on the the Ohio State Troopers face when we hand him 5 carry permits and say figure it out Kojak !!!

Than the beatings commence and the waterboarding.......

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This is almost like "Let's Make a Deal" or baseball card collecting with handgun permit's/license's.

It's ridiculous. We really need National Constitutional Carry. :rolleyes:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    This is almost like "Let's Make a Deal" or baseball card collecting with handgun permit's/license's.

Yeah, so they can make up some new department of the government to oversee it all. Insert purple as needed. I dont need any more government BS.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, so they can make up some new department of the government to oversee it all. Insert purple as needed. I dont need any more government BS.
    Notice that I did not say "National Reciprocity".

"National Constitutional Carry" by definition wouldn't require a license/permit. There is a difference.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

Exactly...... Purple = sarcasim !!!

I knew some just wouldnt get it or have less than a sense of humor...:rolleyes:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Exactly...... Purple = sarcasim !!!

I knew some just wouldnt get it or have less than a sense of humor...:rolleyes:
    I wasn't commenting specifically on your post otherwise I would've quoted it.

I made the comment on how ridiculous the whole license/permit ordeal is in general. Especially when it comes to having to get multiple license's/permit's including Non-Res permits from other states that in all possibility most of us have ever been to or intend to visit.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Make sure you look at the FULL costs. Add in the paperwork cost (postage, checks, photos) and training cost.

Top Bottom