• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If this is a valid analysis of the financial states of the western governments then it shows us that we are all in some sort of economic peril and that we are living on borrowed money . . . with little to no way to pay it back. How are we going to get out of this mess?

March 14, 2010
    Virtually every Western Democratic Government is insolvent.
    Monty Pelerin
    American Thinker Blog: Virtually every Western Democratic Government is insolvent.

Virtually every Western democratic government is insolvent. And governments utilized the same practices as General Motors to reach this point.

In GM's case, poor management was exposed by Honda, Toyota and other foreign competitors. In government's case, the same poor management provided by Santa Claus politicians provided the damage. They continuously promised and implemented "bread and circuses" that could not be paid for.

Unions played a large role in the failure of GM. Public unions are playing the same role at all levels of government, especially below the Federal level. Around the world they have driven wages, salaries and benefits ahead of the private sector. In the US we hear the stories of police or firemen in some municipalities retiring on more than they made during their highest earning years. It is estimated that state pension programs in the US country are underfunded by $2.5 Trillion. Municipal pension programs are in worse shape.

As a personal example, I taught college for 5 years in the University of NC system. As a result, I "earned" full retirement benefits. There was no pension, because we had 401Ks. I "earned" fully paid medical premiums for as long as I live (or the state's finances hold up). I understand that the same requirement was in place for teachers at all levels. (I believe it was changed last year to require an "inhumane" 10 years to qualify.)

All countries have instituted welfare systems for their citizens that promise more than they can deliver. In the US, we have the Ponzi schemes known as Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid at the Federal Government level. The deficits in these programs alone exceed the entire wealth of the country. (See Spiraling to Bankruptcy for more details.)

The US unfunded liabilities are intractable and will bankrupt the nation unless these programs are drastically modified. Other Western governments have made the same Faustian bargain with their citizens/public unions. The New York Times discusses problems in Europe:
    According to research by Jagadeesh Gokhale, an economist at the Cato Institute in Washington, bringing Greece's pension obligations onto its balance sheet would show that the government's debt is in reality equal to 875 percent of its gross domestic product, which is the broadest measure of a nation's economic output. That would be the highest debt level among the 16 nations that use the euro, and far above Greece's official debt level of 113 percent.

Other countries have obscured their total obligations as well. In France, where the official debt level is 76 percent of economic output, total debt rises to 549 percent once all of its current pension promises are taken into account. And in Germany, the current debt level of 69 percent would soar to 418 percent.​
    Politicians everywhere appear to have a spending gene unlike ordinary citizens. Of course they are spending our money rather than their own, so perhaps it is not a biological condition. Regardless, there is enough evidence across enough countries to proclaim a universal truism: Politicians will bankrupt whatever they touch.

I cannot think of anything that could be deemed a governmental success. That does not mean that certain programs are not popular (most are). It means that they are inefficient and too costly in comparison to other ways that they could have been implemented. I know of no exception anywhere!

It is easy to come up with failure upon failure. Why do we continue to allow these boobs to ruin everything they touch? After too many years of this nonsense, the fiscal survival of many countries is threatened.​

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Did anyone actually believe that so many people could live off of the Government dole?!
    We have been chasing Industry out of the US for at least 2 full decades. We have been trying very hard to destroy the small homestead farm idea... Something is going to give. The question has been when.

PS I refuse to use the color purple to denote my sarcasm...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If this is a valid analysis of the financial states of the western governments then it shows us that we are all in some sort of economic peril and that we are living on borrowed money . . . with little to no way to pay it back. How are we going to get out of this mess?

No surprise here. We've known it for at least 20 years that all the debts and promised payments could never be satisfied. The whole world has been bankrupt for a long time. The least painful way to get a level playing field is to inflate away debt. It's a virtual declaration of bankruptcy, informally, in which debts will be settled at pennies on the dollar, in fact, by paying back expensive dollars with cheapened dollars, expensive euros with cheapened euros, etc. It's not painless, just the least painful solution.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority will always vote for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy. -- paraphrased, Sir Alex Fraser Tytler, 1742-1813.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    We are a Republic, not a Democracy. But we do have Democratic principles interweaved in our fabric. The article is factual, but WHY present facts? Ask Al Gore about pesky facts!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No surprise here. We've known it for at least 20 years that all the debts and promised payments could never be satisfied. The whole world has been bankrupt for a long time. The least painful way to get a level playing field is to inflate away debt. It's a virtual declaration of bankruptcy, informally, in which debts will be settled at pennies on the dollar, in fact, by paying back expensive dollars with cheapened dollars, expensive euros with cheapened euros, etc. It's not painless, just the least painful solution.

I really have to wonder if that is the actual plan. It would make a lot of sense.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I really have to wonder if that is the actual plan. It would make a lot of sense.

Certainly. That is exactly what the Chinese are afraid of, that they will receive their 3% treasury bill interest paid back in 80-cent dollars, resulting in a net loss. The problem is all of the Americans that will have their own net worth's screwed in the process.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Certainly. That is exactly what the Chinese are afraid of, that they will receive their 3% treasury bill interest paid back in 80-cent dollars, resulting in a net loss. The problem is all of the Americans that will have their own net worth's screwed in the process.

80 cent? You, my good man, are an optimist.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

I don't think there really is an overall plan, other than "keep slapping band-aids on, try to stay popular with the voters, and let the balloon go up on somebody else's watch."

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Didn't you see how much more money public employees are now making compared to the private sector? Obviously we need bigger and bigger government. That way everyone can be wealthy. We have nearly reached the point (if not already there) where the people living off the government , working for behemoth, or not paying anything into the system, outnumber the ones that do. So as long as they can keep feeding they are going to be happy. Eventually though the parasites kill the host.

Top Bottom