• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The all knowing, somewhat brilliant mod we know as Scutter made a suggestion that we should carry a pocket recorder. I've always relied on the fact that my phone is capable of recording, but a recent thread made me realize the last thing I want to be doing is digging in my pockets for my phone.

Here's what I want, I want a high quality recorder that I could clip onto my belt. Suggestions? Cost?

Thanks.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I have one made by Olympus. It has about 20 hours of recording time and the sound quality is superb.
    Came with a belt holster as well as a usb cord to backup recordings to your PC.
    I think it was $50 or $60.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Office supply stores (OfficeMax, etc.) carry them, as does Best Buy and Fry's. I might also suggest looking for one that will record while in your pocket without accidentally shutting off when you sit. Lastly, be sure to check local wiretap laws. Indiana is a one-party state, meaning only one of the parties involved needs to be informed that you are recording. IANAL, etc.

Also, the ability to offload the recording to a computer is a must. It makes it much easier to share the recording with, say, a lawyer.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I CC and still carry a voice recorder. I started carrying it for reasons other than the fact I carry a firearm. but it is my constant companion now, just as my knife is in one pocket the recorder is in the other, always.

But I too have now been thinking of something different that I can carry on my belt or something.

Mine is just a standard Olympus that I picked up at office max for like 40-50 bucks. It came with a lanyard and you could carry around your neck if you wanted to.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Carrying in your pocket, do you lose clarity? I'm shying away from pocket, cell phone, keys, BUG, and wallet is enough.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I have also seen some that are small and hook onto your keychain.
    They look like one of those external computer drives.
    All you have to do it put your hand in your pocket and push the button.
    I would imagine an internet search would be required for those.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Carrying in your pocket, do you lose clarity? I'm shying away from pocket, cell phone, keys, BUG, and wallet is enough.

The quality of recording as it is in the pocket isn't too bad. It c ould be better and you do get some noise if you are moving around from the fabric rubbing on the recorder. But nothing that is going to ruin the recording.

I originally started carrying it to record phone calls, so it never really occured to me that I would have to use it while it was still in my pocket. But I have a few times and it worked out well enough. I could hear all the people in the room, from about 5-15 feet away, very clearly.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Hmmm... would it be useful to have one that ran on continuous loop? To record events that happen spontaneously or if you don't have the time to start the recorder.

I can just imagine somehow being caught by surprise by LEO, and then not wanting to reach into pockets to start the recorder. It would be nice to have one that just recorded a continuous 2-8 hours loop, and if something occurred you press a button to store the last X hours of the recording and then transfer it to your computer.

I think that would be useful, that way you won't have to worry about something happening to the recording. You just have to remember to "store" that recording after said incident has occurred.

Top Bottom