• ...and so much more!
  • TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hey all.....

I could sure use some reccomendations for a smith that is relatively close to Bloomington who would install a trigger kit onmy MK III. There is also a small burr on the back of the grip.....looks like to PO buggered it up when it was taken apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    Maybe sometime I might feel comfortable but I don't think so now.......thanks for the excellent link though.

The gun is a SS model so after the burr is smoothed out it would need to be polished out.

Again thank you very much but my knowledge and comfort level is limited.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've done 2 in Mark III 22/45s and I'm a novice. You shouldn't be scared to do it. I thought the hardest part was taking the gun apart and putting it back together. Replacing the trigger parts was the easy part of it

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Agreed. You could always try it and if you can't get it back together, then take it to a gunsmith. Having said that, if you'd rather just not mess with it, take it in anyway, but I think you can do it!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I've done a couple. They aren't that hard. If you can strip your MKIII for cleaning and get it back together, you can drop in the Volquartsen kit.

I also recommend the Volquartsen extractor while you are at it.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Maybe sometime I might feel comfortable but I don't think so now.......thanks for the excellent link though.

The gun is a SS model so after the burr is smoothed out it would need to be polished out.

Again thank you very much but my knowledge and comfort level is limited.

Ruger has an excellent video for take down/assembly.

Ruger Videos

click on "tech tips" then look for Mark III

Last edited:

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I did it as well for my wifes gun. The hardest part for me in doing it was the guy in the video I watched was left handed and to do it right handed was hard for my little brain to wrap itself around.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the hardest part is getting the sear spring installed correctly. I had to do it several times before I got it oriented correctly.

A set of (dental) picks/hooks help a lot.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP I've found this site the best for DIY.

2245 Maintenance Page

With the help of this site I've done a detail strip of my 22/45 MKIII for the purpose of removing the mag disconnect and doing the "washer mod" on the hammer. I had no previous experience doing any kind of DIY gunsmith work. Good Luck on finding a Smith if that still your plan.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I did the trigger on mine in about an hour. My buddy tried to do his and he got it wrong and ended up at the gunsmith anyway. Wrong is bad find a gunsmith. You might ask your favorite gun store for help. I found a good gunsmith that way on the south side of INDY.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I just put the Volquartsen trigger in my new ruger mk III 22/45. I have very little experience working on guns and I would agree with others' comments that you should give it a try. The only part I had difficulty with was the final step of re-assembly, which of course had nothing to do with the trigger work. I did eliminate the magazine disconnect as shown in the Nutnfancy video. There is actually a better video than his on the installation which shows how the sear fits in the notch on the safety. I'd link it here except I'm less adept with computers than guns, but it's a simple youtube search too. Good luck, I'm thrilled beyond words at how nice this trigger is.

Top Bottom