• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Hey Allen...hoping you can give me some guidance. I have a new Savage Predator and wanted a good scope out to 400 yards so went with the Viper 3-9 x 42. I have mounted scopes without issue for years but in this case it seems I have to mount the scope excessively to the rear in order to the get the field of view correct (see image below). When I do this I think the rings aren't being supported enough so I am getting a slight twisting making it impossible for me to bore site it. It sites about 24" to the left and 12" down at 100 yards (with no more adjustment available ).

Have you ever seen anything like this? Solution or Recommendation? Maybe just not the right scope for this rifle.

Appreciate any thoughts...Sean

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks...yeah I had it forward but the field of view didn't work as the scope had a huge shadow.

So out to 400 yards what vortex would you recommend?

Its going to depend on your budget, I have a hell of a deal on some refurbs right now. Your scope is more of a 200 yd hunting scope. When mounting that scope on that rifle the mag bar (bar that helps adjust magnification) should be all the way on top of the rail (or very close to it. If your still getting a shadow, you might try holding your head off the stock. If that helps, then you know you need to build up the stock a little. Remember when setting eye relief, your scope should be on the max zoom.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Its going to depend on your budget, I have a hell of a deal on some refurbs right now. Your scope is more of a 200 yd hunting scope. When mounting that scope on that rifle the mag bar (bar that helps adjust magnification) should be all the way on top of the rail (or very close to it. If your still getting a shadow, you might try holding your head off the stock. If that helps, then you know you need to build up the stock a little. Remember when setting eye relief, your scope should be on the max zoom.

Going to be used for hunting only. Caliber is 260 rem. Price ideally $500 tops.

With it mounted as you indicate I see a 1/4" shadow almost unless I move my head really far forward off the comb. Guess it just won't work on this rifle.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Is it just me or does it look like the scope base is on backwards. Shouldn't it be flush with the rear of the receiver?

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Is it just me or does it look like the scope base is on backwards. Shouldn't it be flush with the rear of the receiver?

Yes...on purpose. I needed the scope rings as far back as possible due to the field of view limitation (it gave me an extra notch to use). Like I said this is an odd case (and now wondering if the scope is defective). Unless it is within 3" of my eye the field of view is so bad its unusable. I am going to call Vortex on Monday and see what they say...but Allen already twisted my arm into a better scope anyway...LOL JK - Thanks again Allen!

Top Bottom