• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For the moment, just try to ignore the press check debate. I know I should be using the loaded indicator and I'm working on changing old habits. :)

When I press check, I am just pulling the slide enough to get a view of brass (or nickel).

When I first got the VP, any time I press checked, the slide would easily return to battery as soon as I released it.

I am now somewhere between 2500 and 3000 rounds in and I am finding that more often than not, the slide will hang up after I release it and I have to give it a push at the rear of the slide to get it into battery.

Is my slide return spring getting worn or could it be something else? Gun is field stripped and cleaned routinely but I have not done a complete teardown clean yet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm no help but my M&P will do that. I figure it's because I'm not really tensioning the spring much drawing it back a couple millimeters. I just push the slide into battery using my thumb.

But as you mentioned, I'm getting away from the press check routine. I have a loaded chamber indicator that works fine. I don't need to press check.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it makes you feel better replace the recoil spring. Not a bad practice anyway.

I agree with gregkl. If the spring is compressed all the way it might not push the slide all the back into battery. Happens with a lot of handguns. I always check to make sure the gun is in battery.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Sounds like the recoil spring (underneath barrel) is showing its wear. Its a consumable item and should be replaced every few thousand rounds to stay in top performance.

I saw a lot of M9 pistols on the firing line have such weak springs that you could watch them chamber due to the slide not having enough forward energy. Very overused springs that never got replaced. Caused nothing but problems.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    On press checks a it’s not uncommon to have to (and not a bad practice) to simply push on the slide to make sure it’s in battery. 1911’s no buggy as if the safety won’t engage that’s a clue.

Recoil springs aren’t really designed to work on a 1/4” of retraction

Good luck

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just checked all of my pistols. 2x 1911's one a 45acp, and 10mm. and a mix of other pistols from 22lr to 45acp. They all worked fine. So it could be the ammunition you using, and or the recoil spring.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just checked all of my pistols. 2x 1911's one a 45acp, and 10mm. and a mix of other pistols from 22lr to 45acp. They all worked fine. So it could be the ammunition you using, and or the recoil spring.
    The funny thing is that it does fully return with some rounds but not others although even on the ones that it closes with, it still seems slower than before. And by before, I mean prior to last weekend. I ran about 1000/rounds through it between Saturday and Sunday. All of the rounds plunk just fine.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    20220324_182054.jpg 20220324_182127.jpg
    This my my new out of the package upper for VP9 alongside my current carry pistol with Raven Concealment Systems holster. I will eventually replace the current suppressor sights for big dot tritium front and U notch rear like I have on my carry set up.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Okay. The front one is one of those fake assed ones that have to be charged up by a light source. The rear sights are fine lines and nice but I gotta have a U notch as I am weird.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Okay. The front one is one of those fake assed ones that have to be charged up by a light source. The rear sights are fine lines and nice but I gotta have a U notch as I am weird.
    I am running an optic on mine so I just need them as backups. I like how S&W puts suppressor height sights on the optic cut M&Ps. Not sure why HK doesn't do that.

Top Bottom