• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andrew Cornett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Hello,

I am currently interested in purchasing a new VZ58 from Czech Point, I guess one question in particular wich will probably turn in to several, "How reliable is the VZ58?". Can you run it through the mud and sand like an AK47? How reliable are the extra springs in it? Will the the spring in the piston tupe the the piston moves against last for a long time or is it something that needs to be regularly replaced? How tough is the wood in impregnated stock? What advantages maybe does the AK have perhaps vs the VZ58 if any. Please if there are any VZ58 experts whom may also own AK's please weigh in on this I do not own either. Thank you for your time.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I would love to have a VZ 58 in addition to my AK someday. Probably the only thing I can say about the rifle is that parts and accessories for it aren't nearly as ubiquitous as they are for the AK. That being said, it was easy enough to find parts and accessories with a quick google search.

These videos might give you some more information about the rifle.
    http://youtu.be/GPB9GbbBylI
    http://youtu.be/2Io96odc9Lw

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They are very reliable. I've never done the mud/sand/abuse test on either my VZ2008 or my brother's Romanian AK variant.

The wood impregnated stock is tough as synthetic because I suspect that's what it mostly is; resin/epoxy with some wood chips mixed in.

As far as springs and their durability: I've never had a breakage, but it wouldn't hurt to have spares for any firearm out there.

Advantages of the AK would be: more parts and upgradable components out there. Mags are not compatible between the two.

I've found the VZ to be accurate with the primitive sights and surplus ammo. Much more than the low end AK. The VZ barrel gets awfully hot under that handguard. I suppose the AK would too after as many rounds.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They are nice, accurate, reliable and much lighter than the AKM. About the only thing I don't like about my VZ-58 is that it ejects the rounds straight up, which makes for an interesting sight picture as you try a quick follow up shot and see the round bounce off the top of the rifle through your sight picture. That followed by them bouncing off the receiver and onto your elbow. HOT!!!!

Seriously though I am very happy with mine and highly recommend one to someone who likes the look of the AK but wants something totally different.

Last edited:

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I don't get it
    The gun is lighter then an ak (more recoil)
    The gun has more parts then an ak
    The gun is less reliable then an ak
    the gun is harder to find parts for then an ak
    the gun is more expensive then a lot of aks

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Light. More felt recoil than an AK? Yeah, maybe a bit but we are talking 7.62x39 for heaven's sake. Not a big deal and the minimally greater felt recoil does *not* seem to translate into increased muzzle climb.

Less reliable? I don't know about that. Also more accurate, in general.

Milled receiver instead of stamped. Rigid. Light and swings quickly to target. The res-wood is as tough as nails. If you go with the folder, they are rock solid.

They are less common than the AKM but finding parts is as easy as a mouse click and the parts are *not* more expensive.

I've got a couple of AKs and one VZ-58 (VZ-2008.) I've got boatloads of magazines for the AK pattern. I knew if I wanted a VZ-58, I would need to invest in enough magazines to have a supply. I built that into the price and bought a dozen. The magazines are *not* inexpensive nor are they difficult to find.

Now, as I am on my second AR build and preparing for a third, I question the need for all three platforms. Either the AKs go away - unlikely since I've got two and am more invested into magazines and other interchangeable parts - or the VZ does.

Hmmm... what to do? If I had two VZs and two AKs already, I'm afraid the AKs would leave the stable.

For what it's worth, I am NOT an AK or VZ expert. I do own both though. (The AKs are both Hungarian - a standard AKM and an AMD-65.) Consider this: AKMs (AK-47s) are no longer fielded by any large, organized military. The VZ-58 still is... I'm sure that will change but the VZ-58 is a more modern firearm than the AKM.

Don't let anyone fool into believing that either one is a bad firearm.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Worried about recoil in a 7.62x39? Having shot both, the Vz58 isn't noticeably worse on recoil. Not that I could feel, anyway. I'm comparing against a run-of-the-mill WASR.

It is not less reliable unless you're dealing with Century built versions - and Century is about the only company in the world that can even hose up an AK build. The engineer in me is obliged to acknowledge that more moving parts does equal more chance for something to go wrong, but Czech weapons, IMHO, are exceptionally well built.

You CAN argue against it for having less-available parts, doesn't use AK magazines, and being more expensive (unless you want to roll the dice with a Century-built version). If I was going to base purchase advice simply on practicality, I'd have to advocate the AK, even though I do love the Vz58.

Full disclosure: I am admittedly a Czech weapons fan boy. :):

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm going to pick up a VZ-2000 this weekend. Have owned and shot several AKs in 7.62x39 and several 5.56Nato caliber weapons, never shot the VZ style variant. I know lack of available mags is going to be an issue as there’s not a huge selection of them out there. And when somebody does have them in stock they are always priced higher then AK mags. I’m just interested in the Czechoslovakian’s take on the AK. I own a CZ-82 and that thing is so well built (besides the crappy painted on finish). I got way more than I expected with that gun. So I’ll give the CZ rifle a try. I’ve never owned a milled receiver AK either and the VZ2000 has that, plus somehow its lighter weight? So that’s a cool plus too. Chrome lined barrels are always a plus to me simply in a maintenance stand point, the fact that its harder to foul or let a chrome lined barrel corrode. Then again I’m not going to be running around the jungles of south Asia. Plus I baby my guns so the lack of chrome-lined bore should be a moot issue. Chrome barrels can never be as accurate as non-chromed barrels anyway.

Hopefully my Century arms gun won’t be a disappointment as I’ve read many horror stories on those builds.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've never noticed a lack of accuracy in a rifle due to a chrome bore. After all, we are talking about minute of man rifles, not precision shooters. Makes for much lower maintenance. That said, its not the 80s anymore, and corrosive 7.62X39 has allmost dried up. The VZ's look like a great option, and have nearly lures me into picking one up lately.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    VZ58

I have a VZ200 and its sweet! Very accurate! It is totally reliable and as far as felt recoil? Mine has a Miculek style compensator on it but I think its a little lighter than the AKMs I have owned! I have noticed that the "beaver puke" Hand guards get hot, way faster than an Ak and I have read of owners putting AK74 style heat shields in them also. When finances demanded, I sold my Polytech and kept the VZ cause I like to shoot it much better than the AKM. I also like the fact that there are limited variations on furniture and only 1 style of mag! Having AKs can get expensive with all the "Correct" Furniture options.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Rliable parts sources:

Czechpoint - Products - Spare parts and accessories - vz. 58 parts & accessories

http://www.cncwarrior.com/

BONESTEEL ARMS llc

North Eastern Arms | Vz. 58 | Firearms & Accessories

Czech SA VZ-58 / CZ-858 (P

The next link is for the VZ58 forum w/ tons of additional info and pix.

VZ-58 semi auto rifle

Great light weight carbine in 7.62x39. Some challenge for optics longer than red dot due to shell ejection. On the listed forum you can see how guys have worked around this w/ shell deflectors and forward scout mount optics.

I have found accessories for VZ to be more expensive and there are fewer of them. Have not torture tested mine but have had flawless performance nonetheless. Accuracy is good enough for battlefield rifle. Last summer tossed my barrel across a range bag and placed 5 out of 5 rounds in the head of a silhouette at 100 yds with stock iron sights. I like the last round bolt hold open feature and for some extra $ you can install a tactical bolt release that allows for quick reloads and back in the game.

Top Bottom