• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Colorado
    Recently, i ran about 500 load through my shotgun.Few hours later i discovered that my shotgun bores were basically plastic coated. I normally have no issues removing the wad fouling as i use slip 200EWL before my practice time but this time my gun sat for couple of months in my locker. Can anyone recommends an easy way to remove it?

I don't like using heavy solvents but not sure if i have a choice.

Thanks

Swapfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Greenwood
    Shooter's choice works great. We also use BLU. It will dissolve plastic and smells better too. The chokes are prone to plastic deposits so I use copper chore boy wrapped on a wire brush cuts plastic well. I will also take a small "dull" knife blade and run it around the bore and knock a lot of plastic out quickly. I use a patch soaked in solvent, let it sit a bit, then follow it up with a mechanical cleaner. Repeat. Also, the forcing cone has tons of plastic in there. A good chamber brush is essential to get that out. I have a special short handle to really crank that brush in there. We shoot a ton and this is the best method we've come up with. Some people even use brushes in drills, but I don't mind taking my time to get it clean.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think acetone is the ingredient in shooters choice that eats the plastic. I have used just acetone and it eats the plastic just fine. It also drys out any oil, so be sure to wipe the barrel insides and outsides with oil to prevent rust spots.

Warning about tornado brushes, especially in non chromed barrels. That stainless wire is pretty hard and springy. If any of the loops are broken and the sharp end of the wire is pointing out, you may have some problems with scratching. I saw a barrel that was scratched were the guy had a damaged tornado brush on a rod chucked in a power drill. I use them all the time, but I inspect them and throw them out if anything looks amiss.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    Warning about tornado brushes, especially in non chromed barrels. That stainless wire is pretty hard and springy. If any of the loops are broken and the sharp end of the wire is pointing out, you may have some problems with scratching.

Good point. I only use the brass tornado brushes.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been using the same stainless tornado brush since 1993. I have never scratched a bore. I usually use it dry. Sometimes with Hoppes No 9.

Inspect before use. I think that is common sense. If it ever starts fraying, I will chuck it and get a new one.

It cleans the plastic out pronto. I too have shot hundreds of training rounds in a day. I have cleaned many shotties on the line in just a couple of minutes.

Top Bottom