• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Does anybody know of any loading data, or have they come up with a loading, for 148gr plated wadcutters (Ranier) for .357 magnum (not typical .38 special velocities)? :D

Just thought it would be interesting to try.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    you'll lead the barrel, those bullets are made to travel under 800 FPS
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^
    I've fired thousands of those through my various revolvers, and at velocities over 750 FPS, (Approx 2.8 gr of Bullseye) leading is severe.
    Also don't try to make reduced loads for the .357 Magnums using those slugs.
    Flash over of small powder charges is possible with potentially devastating results to the weapon and/or shooter. :noway:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    The Rainer bullets are plated they are rated for higher velocity but not full mag loads

This is what I was thinking, but I guess it's not worth trying. Just a dangerous thought experiment I guess.:yesway:

However.. I just looked at Hodgdons online reloading data, they have LHBWC loadings with a low velocity of 830fps using 2.9 grains of Titegroup all the way up to 1064 fps using 4.7 grains of AutoComp. This is off their .357mag loading chart. At that velocity, I imagine leading would be a problem, but it might be interesting to work up a load to a similar velocity with a handfull of the plated Ranier wadcutters. Again, I don't have any on hand at the moment, just saw them in a catalog and started thinking. Dangerous, I know.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Here's another example of the type of plated wadcutter I'm talking about.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14486-c13-g8-b0-p0-.38_Cal_148gr_DEWC.aspx

Last edited:

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have loaded some X-treme Plated 148 DEWC in 357 Mag cases. I loaded them over 3.0grains Titegroup and had a 1.35" COL. I haven't shot them past 10 yards yet, but so far I am getting 2" groups, which is amazing for me.

There is some loading data on Hodgdon website for 148gr LHBWC in 357 mag cases loaded over Titegroup: Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com. I use the same data for the DEWC (Double Ended Wadcutter).

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I am loading Lee 148 wad cutters I cast myself over 5 grains of Trail Boss, in .357 cases, and they are accurate and a blast to shoot. Out of my Taurus 605 snubby, I can get clover leaf 5 shot groups at 7 yds, and hit a 6" gong 3 out of 5 at 25 yds. I haven't had a chance to chrono these, but the recoil feels similar to 38+P loads.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Null -

Just curious, and I mean nothing more than to ask, but why not just load 38 Spec wadcutters? 357 brass is pretty expensive. I usually try to save these for my really hot loads.

Like I said, I am only curious.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Swaged lead wadcutters formed from dead soft pure lead will most probably lead the crap out of your barrel (at almost any velocity). If you can find some hard cast lead wadcutters you can load them to more serious velocities. I have been loading .44 hard cast wadcutters and they are quite impressive when they impact. 1 gallon water jugs literally explode when hit. Wadcutters generally will start to tumble around 40 to 50 yards though. But for "in your face" ranges they work very well.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Null -

Just curious, and I mean nothing more than to ask, but why not just load 38 Spec wadcutters? 357 brass is pretty expensive. I usually try to save these for my really hot loads.

Like I said, I am only curious.

Just because, really. They can be loaded to higher velocities using .357 brass and the Hodgdons .357 load data for wadcutters. Basically, the idea was to load a copper plated wadcutter to higher velocity than is normal in .38 special. Hodgdons load data shows one load up to 1064 fps using LHBWC's. I was curious if that load could be duplicated using plated wadcutters, resulting in less leading. It would be fired out of a single shot H&R .357 rifle. Basically, it was just an idea to try something that probably doesn't have have any real practical purpose. Just fun.

I have a good stash of .357 brass, and the only .357 I have is my H&R single shot .357 mag rifle with a 20" barrel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The plated wadcutters will likely be OK, heck I'd try it, in fact I got some plated DEWC and I plan on it. LHBWC loads will allow slightly more powder space than a DEWC, so be advised -- start at the min and work up. Then STOP if you see any pressure signs, especially since there will be a difference in the hardness of the soft lead and the plated bullet. When using pistol powders, when pressure goes up it goes up FAST! I'd start with Universal myself. If in doubt... no, just go ahead send Hodgdon a note and tell them what you're doing -- including the part about the rifle -- and ask for a recommendation. With wadcutter loads out of a rifle you run a higher risk of sticking a bullet in the barrel... and I would worry about it more with a plated or jacketed bullet due to the increased friction.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    The plated wadcutters will likely be OK, heck I'd try it, in fact I got some plated DEWC and I plan on it. LHBWC loads will allow slightly more powder space than a DEWC, so be advised -- start at the min and work up. Then STOP if you see any pressure signs, especially since there will be a difference in the hardness of the soft lead and the plated bullet. When using pistol powders, when pressure goes up it goes up FAST! I'd start with Universal myself. If in doubt... no, just go ahead send Hodgdon a note and tell them what you're doing -- including the part about the rifle -- and ask for a recommendation. With wadcutter loads out of a rifle you run a higher risk of sticking a bullet in the barrel... and I would worry about it more with a plated or jacketed bullet due to the increased friction.

Thanks, I'll keep that all in mind if I decide to try it.

Top Bottom