• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    It seems there is a large number of new firearm owners on here.(which is awesome by the way). In all the excitement of owning a new gun its imperative to remember basic safety. My good friend is in the emergency room this morning. He shot himself in the hand with a baby Browning 25. He is a 65 year old gun dealer who has been handling weapons his whole life. He was cleaning it and thought it was unloaded. Shattered bone in hand and almost severed a finger. Luckily he missed his wife. Remember saying sorry doesn't help if you kill someone. I personally know of a couple more accidents that happened lately, but this one goes to show how important the 4 rules of gun handling should be applied at all times.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Why do people pull on the trigger while cleaning their guns? None of my guns require trigger pulling to clean. Except my 12 gauge. It's weird, I can only clean it while simultaneously pulling the trigger and pointing it and my own leg....

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    Some guns do require the trigger to be pulled for disassembling. Not real sure how he managed to accomplish this but I am sure hes in serious pain and very very embarrassed.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Although I regret seeing these things happening I am glad they get posted. We all need a reminder from time to time. There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Most striker fired pistols require the trigger pulled before disassembly. Notably, the most popular models, Glocks and M&P's, do. But that doesn't make you any more likely to break the four rules though. It does seem to increase the likelihood of a discharge in the long run.

My friend was handling an unloaded gun when people were around, and he put his hand over the end of the barrel as if it would eliminate the need for not pointing it at anyone. Not acceptable. I've witnessed a lot of such foolishness lately, and I can only see it ending badly.

An accidental discharge is virtually guaranteed to happen in your lifetime. If you follow the four rules, that is all it will be, a discharge. But if you don't follow the rules, someone could be injured or killed. The four rules really boil down to ONE simple rule: Do not point a gun at anything you don't want to kill. The other three rules basically expand on that.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    To set the record straight on M&P pistols - They do not require the trigger to be pulled in order to remove the slide from the frame. They use a "Sear Deactivation Lever", which should be used instead of pulling the trigger.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    To set the record straight on M&P pistols - They do not require the trigger to be pulled in order to remove the slide from the frame. They use a "Sear Deactivation Lever", which should be used instead of pulling the trigger.

Exactly.

But I've never "thought" a gun was unloaded in my life....until I personally unloaded it and double or triple checked the chamber. A little paranoia is a good thing.....a lot, and you'll spend all night in the political forum.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Most striker fired pistols require the trigger pulled before disassembly. Notably, the most popular models, Glocks and M&P's, do. But that doesn't make you any more likely to break the four rules though. It does seem to increase the likelihood of a discharge in the long run.
    I carry an M&P and I most certainly do NOT have to pull the trigger to break it down. Glocks I can't speak to since I don't use them.

in addition the same is true for the stiker fired XDm, never had to pull the trigger.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Always check to make sure its unloaded. I know people forget things, I sure do, but gun safety should not be one of them.

Hope your friend heals up soon and glad he wasn't hurt any worse

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

There are Four Rules. If you follow them, you will not add holes to yourself or others.

I know that the Four Rules are not hip and cool. I know that it is cool to say that they are "outdated" or do not apply to you because you are so friggin' tactical and stuff.

However, if you follow the Four Rules you will not be in pain and you will not give gun owners a black eye.

Glocks I can't speak to since I don't use them.

Glocks, arguably the most popular platform in use today, require that you pull the trigger to strip it.

Not every gun out there is our gun. Be a student of weapons, not of one's particular weapon.:D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do people pull on the trigger while cleaning their guns? None of my guns require trigger pulling to clean. Except my 12 gauge. It's weird, I can only clean it while simultaneously pulling the trigger and pointing it and my own leg....

Don't own an XD, huh?

In before Kirk:*

SAND BARREL

EDIT: * DANGIT! He beat me. But, at least I got in "sand barrel"!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

Glocks, arguably the most popular platform in use today, require that you pull the trigger to strip it.

Not every gun out there is our gun. Be a student of weapons, not of one's particular weapon.:D

A guy at my LGS who is ex-special forces told me that glocks never need to be cleaned. So...

besides, Id rather be a victim that touch a Glock.

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    Yep, if it happened to this guy it can happen to anybody. I was fortunate enough to be raised in a home where firearms and safety were stressed. I was also fortunate enough to be a range nco in the marines. A good piece of advice for new shooters is to get some training and make gun safety your priority. You know, instead of worrying so much about lasers, pistol grips, hi capacity magazines, zombies and whatever else is so important these days.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've read that most accidents happen when someone is just fiddling around with the gun and you should keep your hands off the guns unless your going to shoot it. I've been told you should try to clean the weapon right after shooting and not later. I poke a bamboo skewer through the barrel just to make sure. Some guns are just more dangerous than others, I have some older SA's that could fire if cocked and dropped or if the thumb slips off the hammer. No doubt, the second you pick that thing up you need to be serious and focused.
    Thinking about taking some classes this winter because I've been a gun owner for along time but always had it locked up and unloaded. I never CC or carried a loaded weapon until recently and it sort of worries me because you're handling the weapon a lot more.

Top Bottom