• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    While I don't shop at Walgreen's, except once in a blue moon, they've pretty much assured that I'll not go into one again. The pharmacist in this new story not only saved his own life, but possibly saved the lives of his co-workers by his actions. And for doing what he did, he was fired by Walgreen's. Here's hoping he gets a new job soon and that Walgreen's loses more than a few customers for their actions.

Herald Palladium > Archives > Local News > Walgreens fires armed worker

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I saw that on the NRA-ILA site earlier today and got distracted before I posted it. Good find, mrjarrell. I think I'll be writing to Walgreens and letting them know they've lost a customer... Probably quite a few.

Blessings,
    Bill

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well he did break the Walgreens firearm policy. It's like I was told a long time ago. You may save your life, but you will get fired for it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It sounds as if the only ones to have a problem with his actions are the criminals, and Walgreens management. I will say it was nice to not hear the police or his coworkers condemning his actions. I hope he wins a huge lawsuit. I suspect he will find employment elsewhere, where he is more appreciated.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Letter sent:

(I had to guess at the store as well, since the town was not named in the story. For those interested, it's on Napier Ave. in Benton Harbor, MI)

Good day.
    It is my understanding that Walgreens has recently fired a pharmacist named Jeremy Hoven, in Michigan, who foiled an assault and robbery by being armed and prepared to deal with threats like this. Considering the news story, it sounds like it's a good thing SOMEONE was prepared, since the report was that he'd been the victim of a robbery before and the store had done nothing to prevent a repeat.
    I've not been in a Walgreens in the last several years unarmed and now I'm quite certain I made the right decision each time. This story has confirmed the fact that I will not again shop in your stores anywhere, nor will anyone in my circle of family and friends.

This man obeyed the law. He protected his fellow employees, himself, and your inventory, and instead of thanking him and giving him a bonus, you fired him. I guess insurance will reimburse for the lost inventory and new employees are a dime a dozen in this economy... Tell that to the families of the injured or deceased employees.

This was a horrible decision on your company's part.

Please reconsider it.

(PS: I have never been to the store in question nor even to Michigan. I was required to enter the date and time of visit to send this note, so I entered the time of the robbery from the news story.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    They can't even say they are covering their interests by dong this. Just put the guy on a two-week suspension with pay, for violating the rule, and let him go back to work. They could even send him to a different store.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The only thing he did wrong was miss, if the BGs gun wouldn't have malfunctioned the pharmacist would likely be dead.

My sister is an overnight pharmacist in downtown Indy, they have a police officer outside and a security guard all night long. As far as him getting fired, it sucks he did, but who knows what their policy is.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    That Pharmacist will never find another job working for a corporation as a pharmacist again. Once you break a corporate policy like that, no one will touch him, accept maybe a really small 4 or 5 store corporation. But he will never make 100k a year again, the market for pharmacists isn't like it was 15 years ago, it's now flooded and for every job there is an opening for there are 50 applicants. God help the man if he refuses to work graveyard shifts. When you first get hired they usually start you on graveyard at a 24 hour store and then once someone else dies, quits, or retires you can start working a morning or afternoon shift. CVS wouldn't even touch him now, and they are usually more than happy to take ex Walgreen employees.

And for those of you wanting to boycott shopping at Walgreens now, take a look at this article about a CVS employee who got fired for the same thing.

Pharmacist Fired From CVS for Using Gun to Thwart Robber

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    That Pharmacist will never find another job working for a corporation as a pharmacist again. Once you break a corporate policy like that, no one will touch him, accept maybe a really small 4 or 5 store corporation. But he will never make 100k a year again, the market for pharmacists isn't like it was 15 years ago, it's now flooded and for every job there is an opening for there are 50 applicants. God help the man if he refuses to work graveyard shifts. When you first get hired they usually start you on graveyard at a 24 hour store and then once someone else dies, quits, or retires you can start working a morning or afternoon shift. CVS wouldn't even touch him now, and they are usually more than happy to take ex Walgreen employees.

And for those of you wanting to boycott shopping at Walgreens now, take a look at this article about a CVS employee who got fired for the same thing.

Pharmacist Fired From CVS for Using Gun to Thwart Robber
    Good. Gives me an excuse to not go into a CVS, either.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    From the news story:

I understand that what you read was that the pharmacist didn't know. Understandable, he was to dumb to read his employee handbook. Most employees don't read it, why should a pharmacist who starts at 105k a year be any different. But trust me, it's there within the first 6 pages. And I'm not bashing the guy for carrying a gun, lord knows if it happened to me I'd be in the same boat that he is now in. I'm bashing him for not reading his employee handbook, or looking into things before he started carrying in his place of business. If your gonna carry something as serious as a gun into your place of business, then you better at least know the Consequences.:twocents:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Walgreens can eat my rooster. Stupid should hurt and in this case, I know they lost my business. Maybe we should all decide to shop at one on the same day at the sime time while OCing.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Walgreens can eat my rooster. Stupid should hurt and in this case, I know they lost my business. Maybe we should all decide to shop at one on the same day at the sime time while OCing.

Do it please. It will be the most peaceful shopping experience of your life, and no one would say a word to you. Walgreens managers are kept up to date on the ability to carry guns into there stores. So as long as you not pointing guns at anyone, no employee would say a word to you.:rockwoot:

I take that back, some of the employee's might ask you how you like your glock or 1911. And if your a guy OCing a pink handled revolver, they may look at you funny but that is about it.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Letter sent:
    While I agree that they should have given him a bonus instead of shown him the door...it is their company policy and he broke it. Ignorance of the policy is no excuse. This is a private property matter, the owner of that property(Walgreens) has the right to tell their employees that they are not allowed to bring guns to work.

Having said that, I disagree with firing the guy on principle, but it is what the company had to do in this case. They must enforce their policies or else they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I don't like it at all, but I understand it.

I do hope they change their policies...that is what we should be pushing for here. I also hope this incident doesn't negatively effect this guy's ability to find employment.
    :twocents:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Well he did break the Walgreens firearm policy.

He said he was never made aware of a firearm policy (see article), so unless they can show otherwise (such as signature for an employee handbook stating that carrying a legal firearm subject to termination), he's got fighting room. I've worked human resources - don't "sign that you received" anything you don't intend to read.

Now, I'm not saying he's going to get anywhere. Heck, you can get fired over a facebook post now. And the courts are siding with the employers. But a fight might get him his employment (if they are saying this is gross misconduct he wouldn't be eligible for benefits) and enough people on the band wagon could land him another position and/or offers.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    He said he was never made aware of a firearm policy (see article), so unless they can show otherwise (such as signature for an employee handbook stating that carrying a legal firearm subject to termination), he's got fighting room. I've worked human resources - don't "sign that you received" anything you don't intend to read.

Michigan is an "at will" work state...he can be fired for any cause, or no cause at all.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on, unfortunately.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

Now, I'm not saying he's going to get anywhere. Heck, you can get fired over a facebook post now. And the courts are siding with the employers. But a fight might get him his employment (if they are saying this is gross misconduct he wouldn't be eligible for benefits) and enough people on the band wagon could land him another position and/or offers.

Yeah you sign a piece of paper before your first shift starts, if you don't sign it, then you don't start, so unless they forgot to have him sign that paper, he is screwed. If the store manager did forget to get him to sign that paper, then the store manager is screwed too.

Top Bottom