• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Last week I traded my Ruger LCP for a Walther PK380. The main consideration was the size (it does matter). The LCP was just too small for my ham-like hands and I was never comfortable shooting it. On several occassions, the Magazine release was inadvertantly pushed causing a FTF. And the one time I put 50 consecutive rounds through it, it began to mis-feed about every other round. Probably got too hot. Well, I guess the size wasn't the only problem. Anyway, the PK380 has solved all of those problems and I'm quite pleased with it. Last Saturday I had the opportunity to sight it in and was really pleased. So, on with the specifics:
    Ammunition: Remmingtion FMJ, ball, 95 gr.
    Distance: 10 Yards
    Sight Adjustment: None needed
    Rounds fired: 100
    Best Group: 7 rounds in 2 1/4 inch circle
    Failure to fire: None
    Failure to feed: 1 (double feed)
    For me, this was a good trade. I can still cc without issue and the gun fits me much better than the LCP. It might not be so for other people. I bought the First Edition because that's the only one they had and I probably overpaid but I'm happy with the deal.
    Pete

Last edited:

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the report. I've been thinking about one of these since handling the P22--I like the feel but don't really have a use for a smaller 22 like that. It seems like the main advantage of a 380 over a 9mm is that 380s can be made smaller than 9s (like your LCP) at the cost of using a less powerful round. Do you have any insight into how your PK380 compares to a similarly-sized 9mm after your trip to the range?

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Great to here, I still havn't gotten out to shoot mine....
    How much did you pay for the first addition???
    For the extra $30 I payed, I found it worth it just for the extra mag and little holster..

pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    I paid $70.00 plus the LCP and 3 mags. The First Edition comes with 2 mags
    plus a holster. I modified my XDm holster so the PK380 would fit. I works quite well and I prefer a paddle holster.
    As for the 9mm comparison, I have a Springfield Armory XDm, 9mm which I really like. It's just a little too big for daily cc. The PK has less recoil and comes back to point of aim very well. Compared to the LCP, the PK is much less violent in recoil and, imo, is quicker to reacquire the target. And, as I mentioned in the report, it just fits my hand better. Using Remmington ammunition in both guns I would say the PK has about 25% less recoil than the
    xdm. Hope this helps.
    Pete

Mad Man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    LaPorte County
    I am considering an LCP myself as I find that my Bersa Model 85 is to heavy in my leather vest pocket while out riding my scoot. How does the PK compare in sized to the LCP?

Thanks

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I was in PSS on Friday and they have a nice packaged P22 and the PK380 together.

Comes all in one case. I beleive the price was 599 for both....I almost did it...should have done it

pfeigert

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Re: size comparison. The PK is about 25 larger and I doubt it would fit in a vest pocket. I think the LCP would but I'm not sure. Of course, the reason I traded was to get a larger gun. I had no complaints to speak of with the LCP, it just didn't serve my purpose. Pete

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Congrats on your new Walther.

I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment, but I don't understand how you can be pleased, or even feel confident with the PK380 as your carry weapon.

You said that your hand position was causing the occasional FTF, and I am sure that you can adjust for that... You MUST adjust for that if your life depends on it. You also mentioned that the firearm began mis-feeding every other round. This is the part that would be very disturbing to me. No matter the cause, this should not be happening, and it should give you pause before you use this gun for daily carry.

Here is a link to Todd Jarrett shooting 1000 rounds in 10 minutes from a Para PXT 1911. (Not usually a gun high on my list for reliability.) This is a kind of hot that probably none of use would experience outside of the military, and this gun just keeps chugging along. DOWN RANGE TELEVISION with Michael Bane - Show #1: 1-ON-1 with Todd Jarrett

I REALLY don't want to be a buzz-kill here, but I would look into the feeding issues, before you daily carry it.

Have fun and be safe!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If I read the OP correctly, the feed issues were coming from the LCP he traded for the PK. I have a PK380 also and have found it to be very reliable. In about 200 rounds, I have not had a single issue other than an issue with reloads that were too light charge wise.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i know this thread is a little old, but what the hell.
    i was just checking pk380 out today @ roby's in kokomo and i have to say that it is one sexy piece. i have read a lot of threads with guys saying that a .380 isn't enough stopping power, but correct me if i'm wrong, if i put one right between the eyes isn't that a non issue?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep if you stick it in their ear and pull the trigger they will let go. The larger .380s should pick up a bit of velocity, but the PK380 is no 9mm. It also is not a pocket gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I read the OP correctly, the feed issues were coming from the LCP he traded for the PK. I have a PK380 also and have found it to be very reliable. In about 200 rounds, I have not had a single issue other than an issue with reloads that were too light charge wise.

I noticed the same thing with our PK380. Gun does not seem to like the light loads.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cathy looked at, and really liked, the PK380 before getting her Bersa. She rejected it because of the need to use a key to field strip the gun. Neither of us much cared for that.

It does feel nice in the hand, though it seems to be bulkier than the Bersa.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Cathy looked at, and really liked, the PK380 before getting her Bersa. She rejected it because of the need to use a key to field strip the gun. Neither of us much cared for that.

It does feel nice in the hand, though it seems to be bulkier than the Bersa.

Agreed. Check out the PK380 review that I posted a couple of hours ago. I basically listed the takedown key as a major fail. Also the saftey is not as nice as the Bersa. Local shop has/had a Bersa new for $250. I almost bought it on impulse. The others were about $20 more so it may have been mismarked.

Top Bottom