• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    @BravoMike - nice write up of the Ibex, thanks for adding that. I'm going to have to look closer at the brand.

I picked up a STOIC ALPINE 150 weight Merino Wool/Synthetic 60/40 blend shirt that I liked so much I bought 2 more in other colors. Paid $34.95 from "SteepandCheap" but they are now all sold out. Same shirts are available from other souces, like Backcountry.com

Here is the shirt I got, but not from this supplier: => Stoic Alpine Merino 150 Crew Shirt - Long-Sleeve - Men's | Backcountry.com

image_zpsee6ec818.jpg

Being a blend with only 60% wool, its a very comfortable shirt to wear, not a body fit, but also not a loose fit shirt. Its somewhere in between in that it fights close to the body but not tight. I like the fact that it has 2 contrasting colors of fabric and a third color of stitching so while it clearly can perform the task of "baselayer" shirt, it also can be worn alone as a light weight long sleeve shirt.

The shirt is long enough to not pull out of your pants when you bend over if tucked in at your waist. It also has extra long sleeves with thumbholes. Nice touch.

One thing I wondered about was the anti-stick properties of a blended fabric with wool and polyester. Wool is great for anti-stink but polyester creates a nasty funk. The blend seems to be 'stink free' and the price was right so I'm happy I picked up 3 of these before they ran out of stock.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    GEAR THAT WILL NOT GO TO ENGLAND

ICEBREAKER Merino Wool 200 Bodyfit Base Layer
    Simply put, this shirt is not comfortable enough to go with me. Its a great shirt, but it is a 'bodyfit' cut, which means it is a very tight fitting shirt. I just don't like that tight fit. I want something that fits me, but doesn't act like a girdle to hug me into shape. Its the nicest, most expensive Merino Wool that I own, and it will be left behind.

Point 6 Wool 'Light Hiking' Socks
    Its a good sock, but not as good as either the Cabela's InGenius (wool/synthetic blend) or the Darn Tough (all wool) Light Hiking socks.

SOTA MUKA white gas stove
    This is a GREAT stove, it really is a shame it won't make this trip, but its a little too big, a little too heavy, a little too much, especially for a trip when the uses will be fairly minimal as breakfasts and dinners will typically be eaten in English Pubs and lunches and snacks will be the only use for the stove. So this, being the biggest, is eliminated. I'm leaning heavily toward the stupid-simple ESBIT solid fuel stove. Its tiny and light and will boil water. Nothing more, just boil water. But that may be all I need to make a couple cups of coffee a day, maybe some oatmeal for a snack, etc. I have NOT yet ruled out the alcohol stove, nor have I ruled out the SNOW PEAK iso-butane stove. The alcohol stoves are simply liquid fuel versions of the ESBIT, they heat water. The SNOW PEAK is tiny, even with a couple fuel canisters its still pretty light and small. It is also more flexible for cooking so its not been cut, at least not yet.

KEEN hiking shoes
    Not sure which model these are, but they are not going with me. They weigh more than my new Zamberlan 230 Crosser boots, and they provide less support than the Zamberlan boots too. Plus, the KEENs are also less comfortable, less stable and offer less feel for varying ground conditions. Unless I wear out the Zamberlans, or unless something better comes along that I try (and I am NOT looking) then the obvious choice for me to wear will be the Zamberlan 230 Crosser hiking boots. Simply the best light weight hiking boot I have ever encountered.

KOPPEN baselayer polyester hiking shirts
    These are very comfortable shirts, I actually like them a lot and wear them all the time. But they get a funky stink about them, even if you just wear them around the house doing light activities that might raise up a bit of sweat. Any sweat that gets into the material transforms into a nasty funk. No thank you, I don't need 8 days of smelling myself all funky. So these inexpensive, comfortable, sun-blocking, moisture wicking shirts will stay at home. I wish they had anti-microbial anti-funk additives blended into the fabric like some other polyester shirts incorporate. But they don't. So they stay at home.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    An old Swedish proverb: Det finns inget dåligt väder, bara dåliga kläder.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.​

While I am planing this hike for the summer months, the average temperature range in northern England during that time of the year ranges from 40 degrees(F) to 60(F). Not exactly what its like in Indiana in June, where 60(F) to 90(F) is more likely. And then there is rain to consider.

So I've been spending a lot of time trying out different clothes for this trip. Much of which I own, but some of which I did not before this planning started.

40 degrees in the morning warming up to the upper 50's or lower 60's is a pretty big shift. And that will require some layering of clothing. Hiking with a pack at 55-to-60(F) is wonderful weather, not much sweating, and the activity of the hike generates enough warmth to keep you comfortable, typically with just one layer over your skin. But blot out the sun and stop for a snack and you can get chilled pretty quickly. Below 50(F) and its likely to require a second layer over your baselayer, especially if its not sunny. So there is a real need to have a variety of clothing, to double check the weather just before packing and hopping on the airplane, and bringing along an extra bit for flexibility in case the forecast changes.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Just curious, is there any gear that you have not yet tested for your hike?

Did you ultimately decide to go with the Sawyer Mini water filter?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just curious, is there any gear that you have not yet tested for your hike?

Did you ultimately decide to go with the Sawyer Mini water filter?
    Water filtration has not been tested.

I'm about 99% sold on the Sawyer Mini based on the backpacking forum reviews/recommendations. Its seems dead simple and reliable. Its is TINY and lightweight. I have not purchased anything regarding water filtration/purification yet.

GEAR SELECTION UPDATE: MORE TESTING NEEDED ~ Cook Stoves:
    I need to play around with the 3 smaller stoves some more to really be sure what I will be using. Each of the 3 smallest stoves should fit my needs. To refresh your memories without going back to them.

1) ESBIT solid fuel folding stove. Stows easily, boils water, no heat adjustment. Light. Stable, cheap fuel easily found in UK.
    2) ALCOHOL stove. Stows easily, boils water, no heat adjustment. Light. Liquid alcohol. Found in hardware stores in UK.
    3) SNOW PEAK Giga Power Iso-Butane stove. Smallest stove, heat is adjustable, simmer to boil, but fuel canisters are a bit larger. Fuel is supposed to be available in the UK.​

Possible DATE CHANGE that could screw up gear choices a bit.
    One of the members of our group will be unavailable in early June when we had originally planned the trip, so the trip may be delayed until mid-July. That changes the temperature range fairly substantially for the average low/high temps for the day. The daily "high" only changes by about 5 degrees, so not a big issue there, but the daily "low" changes by about 10 degrees. Planning a trip for temps that will likely drop to the low 40's every morning requires some different clothes than a trip that will likely only drop into the low 50's every morning. Might be testing out some short sleeve merino wool base layer shirts?​

NEW GEAR: Arc'teryx Aphix Insulated Jacket:
    LINK => http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets
    I did purchase a new lightly insulated jacket from Arc'teryx to wear, but there is no plan of taking that on the trip itself. Its more for local hikes during moderate winter weather/late spring weather hikes locally. $220 for what amounts to be a glorified layering jacket that can be used as a stand alone spring jacket???

I see Arc'teryx brand advertised a lot but I don't see it often. I really began to wonder if Arc'teryx is actually used by people who wander off into the woods or is it a fashion accessory? I ask because it seems to be favored by folks in the wealthy suburbs of Chicago and somehow I don't see the manicured and pampered folk out on overnight hikes.

Looks to be well made, in fact it looks to be made better than anything I've ever seen and some reviews of the products are beyond glowing, the Aphix jacket looks like what I want. Testing it a bit will give me the answers. I'm hoping its worth the money.

As I get more use out of it I'll post up some photos and impressions. So far, it seems to be what I wanted.

GEAR UPDATE: Cabela's In-Genius Socks:
    For all day comfort these are great socks, hiking or not. I find that hiking socks tend to be somewhat binding on my feet, especially so after I had foot surgery several years ago. While good hiking socks are fine on my feet while I am active, once I sit for a spell, they tend to feel tight. The Cabela's In-Genius hiking socks are one rare exception that are comfortable while active AND while loungingg.

GEAR UPDATE: Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT Accelerant Jacket/Hoodie:
    I'm really liking this light weight jacket. It can be worn as a light jacket over a base layer, as a lightweight shell over a couple layers, or in the frigid temps we are experiencing as a mid-layer under a shell or parka. I've been using this jacket for a lot of things, as various layers. Be it just wearing it when running out, to wearing it under heavier coats when plowing snow, etc. I didn't expect to wear the hood often but that gets used a lot more than I would have ever guessed.

Excellent piece of kit that I think I will find more uses for than I could have imagined.

But it looks weird on me. Its bright lime green with bright blue zippers and dark blue stretch panels. Not something you'd normally see on an old grey haired/grey bearded man's body as he shuffles along the roadside muttering to himself. uh, well, you get the picture....​

GEAR UPDATE: Zamberlan 230 Crosser GTX light hiking boots:
    WOW, these are the BEST light hiking boots that I've ever worn. Period. In fact better than any mid-weight hiking boots too. They are light, flexible, offer support, have great ground feel but have enough mid-sole shock absorption to prevent foot punishment. I love these things. They are NOT a winter boot, NON-insulated. They are a 3 season light hiker and they are a-freakin-mazing! There is no better light/medium hiking boot on the planet.

The possible downside is they saved weight by making the sole a bit thinner, lugs a bit shorter, and that may end up meaning that they won't last as long as a heavier soled/thicker lug boot. I'm totally OK with that. I'd rather give up a little bit in long term life to get the supreme road feel, confidence in footing, and support that these provide. I can buy another pair someday. Many light hikers cut down their height to save weight or skimp elsewhere. This boot doesn't skimp anywhere and it feels great too. I don't see any real signs of the sole wearing prematurely, but its one point that may be a concern for some folks? Me, if they ever announce that they plan to discontinue this boot, I'll probably buy 5 pairs and have a lifetime supply in my closet.​

Other than that, I think mostly I need to get back outside and walk. But with the weather this cold and with the snow drifts narrowing the roadways, that is just not going to happen.

My guess is that I will wear out the "tips" of my Leki Trekking Poles before the trip, those will likely be replaced prior to the trip.

I'm sure a couple other things will be replaced before the trip.

I'd still like to switch to sleeping in tents during the hike, but that is not going to happen with this group.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NEW GEAR ~ not for the trip, but for hiking in the current weather!

Mountain Hardware "Gravitor Insulated Shell" Jacket:

Picked this up cheap from "Steep & Cheap" on their website. $169.00 is what I paid, retail price is $365.00. It appears to be a 2013 season close out. Reviews around Al Gore's interwebs suggest it is a good shell style jacket. Tech specs show that it is lightly insulated. So while it looks like a 'parka' style coat, it is only has a modest 80gram Micro Therm insulation layer. That makes it suitable as a cold weather shell over a heavy mid-layer (like the Arc'teryx jacket I recently purchased) or alone in milder cool weather.

Mountain Hardwear beefed up the Gravitor Inslulated Jacket with its moisture-blocking, extremely breathable Dry.Q technology so you'll stay dry when raging storms slam the trail. While your buddies are getting soaked or suffocating in their swampy 'waterproof' jackets you'll just put your hood up and keep going. Your body will waste less energy trying to maintain its temperature, so you'll have more fuel for the fun.
    • Double layered Rebar Rip is durable and tough without being heavy or bulky
    • Dri.Q Elite membrane blocks heavy snow and even rain while remaining highly breathable from the second you zip up
    • 40K-rated fabric is able to stop moisture penetration in harsh conditions
    • Thermic Micro insulation blends warmth-holding hollow fibers and loft-retaining solid fibers for maximum performance
    • Superior breathability reduces the need for zippered vents giving you a lighter more streamlined jacket
    • Dual hem drawcords and adjustable cuffs seal out the cold
    • Higher pockets are accessible when you're wearing a harness or pack

This will NOT being going to England with me, but should be suitable for hiking around here (if we didn't have knee deep snow) now with appropriate layers underneath. I'd been looking for a new shell jacket, my prior shell was a Woolrich brand shell, great product, lasted a dozen or so years, but it was NOT insulated at all, and has long since been retired after I tore the back of the jacket. When I saw this on Steep & Cheap it appeared to be just what I was looking for, but at a bargain basement price. Everything else I saw that looked good, with good reviews, was in the $300 to $600 price range and being the cheapskate that I am, I opted for the sale item!

mountain-hardwear-gravitor-dryq-elite-jacket-waterproof-insulated-for-men-in-blue-chip-blue-horizon~p~4488f_02~1500.3.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If the settlers ot Jamestown would have put this much thought and preparedness in leaving England to settle here that you have for a hike across England I would imagine they would have fared a wee better than they did......

This thread has grown so epic that I am looking forward to the Nat Geo Special on your hike!!!!:rockwoot:

One piece of advice....

"Stay off the Moors, especially at night if there is a full moon..."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If the settlers ot Jamestown would have put this much thought and preparedness in leaving England to settle here that you have for a hike across England I would imagine they would have fared a wee better than they did......

This thread has grown so epic that I am looking forward to the Nat Geo Special on your hike!!!!:rockwoot:

One piece of advice....

"Stay off the Moors, especially at night if there is a full moon..."

I'll keep your advice about the Scottish moors in mind!

Not sure this thread is epic. There are a lot of mundane things that we all use. Rarely do any of us ever consider writing a review of our SOCKS or UNDERWEAR (by the way, try the ExOfficio undies, seriously, awesome undies) or other things that we use in our every day lives. But much of this thread is really just about that type of thing because when you go hiking you tend to take things to the extreme, can't change out of them easily, can't reach into your closet for replacements, etc.

Certainly this thread has some unusual items.

My backpack of choice, a Lowe Alpine AirZone 35 is great little pack, with a suspension system that maximizes airflow between your back and the pack better than any other I have found, but it is a 'light load' pack. The suspension system simply can't bear weight beyond maybe 30 pounds, so its great for a small pack but won't be suitable for an expedition pack.

The Snow Peak "Snow Miner" headlamps are great camping/hiking headlamps, but not really very good for hunters because they don't offer a red light which is very useful for hunters. Its a nifty piece of kit that very easily illuminates a wide area like a tent or a small room, but it just as easily projects a focused beam and does so without having to adjust a lens, focus anything, rather it just requires you squeeze a silicone dome. Sort of dumb looking but idiot proof and easy to use. When you are occupied with other things, the last thing you need is a complicated headlamp.

Clearly I don't need some of this stuff to make this hike. The new jackets are for use here in Indiana during Winter/Early Spring. I don't need 3 or 4 stoves. But I wanted to upgrade a bunch of my equipment and used this thread as a way to look at my gear and consider each piece.

Lots of other bits and pieces to consider. And I'm sure if you think about it, lots of little things you use daily that can be improved (like your underwear, seriously, try the ExOfficio).

GEAR UPDATE: Arc'teryx Mid-Layer Jacket:

Here are some of the promised photos and while I've only had this jacket for about 10 days its an awesome jacket. Arc'teryx is one of the more expensive brands on the market. Light jackets start about $200, fleece starts about the same price. Heavy jackets and shells can exceed $600. Their backpacks are nearly double the prices of many other more known brands. But now that I own one piece, I'm more able to understand why they charge so much.

The details of this jacket are incredible. The workmanship/quality control is simply top notch, as you should expect from a $220 lightweight jacket.

Overview of jacket: You can see the stretch panels under the lower part of the arms up to the armpits and about 1/2 way down the sides. These panels vent extra heat when you are working hard, they also hold the jacket snug (but not tight) so it doesn't move around on your body (again this is a mid-layer). There is also a very soft material on the inside of the collar, a nice touch.
    image_zps13f33271.jpg

Inside breast zipper pocket. Notice the reinforced stitching around it? All the stitching is very straight very tightly stitched. I would have preferred a larger zipper pull or a cloth attachment (as they have on the exterior pockets).
    image_zps53c4fa1b.jpg

Drawstring at the bottom on of the jacket. You'll also notice that there is a smooth lining on the inside of the jacket body, but a more sturdy rip-stop band along the base of the jacket. The drawstring is held in place by a loop so it doesn't flop around, it also has a very ergonomic design to allow for easy adjustment with gloves.
    image_zps49edad88.jpg

View of the stretch venting material from the inside of the jacket:
    image_zps27a50fce.jpg

Detail view of the stretch venting material from the outside of the jacket. Notice the extra material cuts/panels to shape under the arm to prevent bunching when wearing this as part of a layering system.
    image_zps06374636.jpg

Detail of the insulated pockets. They are cut high enough to allow them to ride above the hip belt of a backpack. The added cloth pulls make it easier to use these when wearing gloves.
    image_zps7d0bd3fa.jpg

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    All I've got to say is I hope "the wife" is getting the same gear. If not and she's still wanting to wear that yellow PVC rain suit you talked about back around page 1, you are in for an "enjoyable" hiking trip. :)

Dirty Steve

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    All I've got to say is I hope "the wife" is getting the same gear. If not and she's still wanting to wear that yellow PVC rain suit you talked about back around page 1, you are in for an "enjoyable" hiking trip. :)

Dirty Steve
    She has plenty of her own stuff too. She's got some ultralight weight titanium utensils, dual wall cup, anti-shock poles, and "performance" clothing, etc.

And as for that bright yellow pvc rain suit, no I bought her a proper, packable, rain jacket and she already had a pair of rain pants.

Now she is not getting some of this winter gear that I'm getting, but then again, she spends far less time outside in the winter than I do.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Just wanted to make sure. After having been on hikes where I said repeatedly, "Don't you need this, or that, and how about a new one of those" and been told "No, my stuff is fine", then listening to complaints,.....I though I should double check.

Can't wait to see pictures from this expedition.

Dirty Steve

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NEW GEAR: First Impressions ~ Mountain Hardware Gravitor Technical Shell Jacket

Been wearing the new shell today, its very nice, exactly what I hoped for and as long as the quality is good, it should serve me well.

The "Gravitor" is a technical layering shell with 80 grams of insulation, which makes it a 'lightly insulated' shell jacket. Great for weather that would be cooler than perhaps 40-45 degrees (F) down to maybe freezing if worn on its own. But as its a shell, it is designed to be worn as part of a layering system. Its roughly 2 degrees (F) today and I wore the Arc'teryx mid-layer jacket under this shell today while doing some light work outside. Combination was fantastic.

As a test, I also wore it out an about my property WITHOUT a mid-layer jacket in this weather. Not a good thing. The insulation is simply not thick enough for sub-freezing temps, and in the lower single digits I would not want to rely on this alone. I got cold just walking the 150' from my house to my workshop. By the time I got back into the house I was cold to my core! Amazing the difference between wearing this alone and wearing it with a mid-layer jacket!

The "Dry-Q Elite" fabric is a breathable, but totally waterproof jacket so it will keep me dry in a rainstorm, as well as if I wear it for X-country skiing and get coated in snow. Its supposed to allow body heat to stay in, but perspriation moisture to evaporate out. Honestly don't know (yet) if that system works. Again, this is NOT going to England for the hike, but it should work well to allow me to get out and hike around here while I prepare for the Hadrian's Wall walk.

Some details, overview of the shell, looks like a thin parka:
    image_zps00b6d589.jpg

Hood is a bit bulkier than I would like, its designed to allow a climbing helmet to be worn, something I won't need. But it chinches up in the back with a corded locking drawstring:
    image_zps64e24620.jpg

There are also 2 corded locking drawstrings on the front of the hood, so overall the hood is a great design, one that can be snugged down pretty well. Its also lightly insulated, like the coat. The material around the neck and the inside edge of the hood are NOT soft/fuzzy material for comfort, something I consider to be a real comfort benefit, but given the discount price I paid, I'm not going to complain too much.
    image_zps8d96e1ce.jpg

The bottom of the coat is cut longer in the rear and shorter in the front, which I hope you can tell from this photo. It should allow some forward bending, while still protecting the lower back from rain/snow/wind and cold:
    image_zps16d6c1c9.jpg

Detail of the sleeve, which has a velcro style closure. Also the claims made by for the DryQ Elite fabric material:
    image_zps143b191f.jpg

Inside pockets. Chest pocket secures with a zipper. The zipper pull is smaller than it should be and would benefit from either being larger or having a cloth strap. Lower pocket is a large open top pocket for trail maps or other light things that need to be carrried.
    image_zpsd361bd73.jpg

All the exterior pockets feature a waterproof barrier and feature corded pull extentions so they are easy to operate with gloves. The main zipper is additionally protected on the INSIDE with a wind-blocking flap and on the OUTSIDE with a storm blocking flap that is additionally weather proofed with a half dozen strips of velcro to hold it down and keep snow, rain and wind from penetrating the waterproofed zipper.
    image_zps8303b6c6.jpg

Corded locking drawstrings around the waiste (in 2 locations) to snug up the coat bottom to keep out snow/wiind, but there is no powder baffle. Not sure a powder baffle would be a real benefit as this is only a lightly insulated shell.
    image_zps4b7e65c1.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of the coat. Honestly if I had paid the full retail of roughly $370.00 there are a couple other features that I would have wanted, but as I paid less than 1/2 the retail price its a bargain. This is my first day wearing the coat, we'll have to see if I still like it with more wear, but like I said, first impressions on my first day of wearing it around are very positive. Never had any Mountain Hardware brand clothing before, reputation is pretty good for the brand.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    With a high temperature today that is supposed to get all the way up to the mid-Teens, and snow that is deeper than knee high in most places in my yard, I'm not actually going out to do much other than run the tractor to move the fresh 4 or 5 inches of snow that fell on my driveways yesterday. No new snow coming, but temps are going to get lower before going up to ABOVE freezing mid-week.

Seems like a good time to look at something different.

Q: "How much farther?"

A: "Mile, Mile and a half."

If you've ever done any long backpacking trips, you understand that question and response!
    At any point on the trail, saying the destination is 8 miles or 5 hours away can be just devastating to morale. A mile... mile and a half isn't so far and we probably don't really know exactly how far it is.

It doesn't really matter anyway. We're out here to get away from deadlines, timelines, calculations, and machinations. So, the title of this entertaining 87 minute film, "Mile... Mile and a Half" perfectly sets the tone for the visually inspiring trek along one of the nation's most beautiful trails - the John Muir Trail.

Mile, Mile and a Half. This is hiking movie available on line. The JMT is about 2.1 times longer than the Hadrian Wall hike that I'll be making, and its also somewhat more rugged, although the Hadrian's Wall passes through some pretty desolate areas, the JMT is, in its entirety, a lonely walk.

Get some mid-winter hiking inspiration and enjoy the clip: MILE... MILE & A HALF (trailer 1) on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;36675195]http://vimeo.com/36675195[/video]

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here is a longer video, shows some of the behind the scene stuff and interviews. These people had HEAVY packs, at least one was 75#, which is pretty crazy for a long hike. But they went pretty slowly and the purpose of the trip was to film it, so they needed all that extra gear: http://vimeo.com/34870774 [video=vimeo;34870774]http://vimeo.com/34870774[/video]

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Mile Mile and a Half is a great movie and is streaming on Netflix right now.

What's the word on this hike? Did it happen or was it delayed to Mid-July?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    so.... did this hike happen?
    I am going in June and may take a day hike along some of the wall.

YES. I just noticed this and realize your post was from the end of March. But yes, this hike did happen last year. We had average temps in the mid-50's. On a couple days it got to about 60 and felt downright balmy. Rained every day. Rain, strong winds, cool temps = summer in northern England.

This year I hiked roughly 500 miles with my wife along the Camino de Santiago trail from SW France to Santiago de Compostela, then we continued on to the ocean for roughly 550 miles total. Our daughter and Goddaughter joined us for the last 110 miles of this year's hike. Temps averaged about 90 degrees. Hottest day was 104. We also had hail, rain, fog and a lot of relentless sun.

Next summer we are considering a North to South hike through central Italy. Roughly 260 miles. Looking at the weather, it might be a bad time to attempt the hike. Its damn hot in Italy in the summer.

Top Bottom