• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So, does anybody here have or use a hiking staff in their GHB/BOB? When my kids were in scouts they did all kinds of neat things with them for survival. In addition they can be a good weapon that is non-threatening.
    I'm thinking about making one again and was wondering if anyone has done it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the look of a hand carved walking stick.

But I just use a hockey stick when mushroom hunting and things like that. Easy to flip leave and brush away. I only bring it in case I surprise a sleepy snake. So we don't hurt each other.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My Bn. Cdr., had one, carved in it were all his stripes, and his officer rank,
    he was a Lt. Col. at the time, and also, all his posts, where he had
    served .....

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Used them for years. If you plan on being in the woods a lot form a flattened metal tip on it and it's useful for clearing a sleeping spot, light digging and defense in a pinch among many other things.

Bob

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Haven't used one for years but when mushroom hunting (hockey stick is awesome idea) and way back when in Scouts. As mentioned, my scout one has badges earned and adventuring acheivements, miles hiked, trails hiked etc. Would love to have seen that BN CDR's staff, sounds interesting.

I have considered the new light weight trek poles. Haven't researched them yet.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have two "BO's" left over from my brief stint in Karate, many years ago. And use it quite frequently while walking around my neigborhood. I took the rubber foot of of one of the crutches I have to protect the end. Still remember most of what I was taught about using it too.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have a nice hickory hiking staff that I use regularly. I am collecting the hiker badges from the different state parks as I stay in and hike each park with my wife.

Gray Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I have several red cedar staffs.They are heavy when you first cut them green but after they dry it is light and very strong..

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    i actually just finished one yesterday. cut it off the tree and shved it down with my ESEE4 and sprayed some poly on it. it looks good. drilled a hole in it. im gonna put a paracord lanyard one it. just gotta weave it.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Yes, but ha Alsove gone to the lightweight trekking poles. After both hips & both knees having been replaced, I need all the extra support I can get. Also, a good sturdy stick is on the BOB/GHB list. -- Grizhicks

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am interested in the light weight trek type poles.

They look handy, but not very sturdy. Would hate to put my weight into it and have an aluminum pole snap and me go plummeting into it.

Anybody have experience with them?

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have used trekking poles for many many miles! I love them and would not think of hiking long distances without them. They are a great idea if you are planning to hike a lot. A good stout staff might serve you much better if you needed to use it as a weapon.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Think I would be set on weapons, but something to assist with moving my fat butt around could help.

Any in particular? Have seen some at box stores but again have no idea what is good.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Might want to look into a used set of ski poles. They wouldn't collapse, but would probably serve weapon duty better than a collapsable one...of course, the stick would still win for a weapon.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    You can buy collapsible walking sticks of various quality from almost any sporting goods outlet and many catalogs. If what you're looking for is a walking aid, they will work just fine. If you're looking for a secondary (or tertiary) weapon, you should probably consider other alternatives. I like a good walking stick as well as anyone, but a stout branch from a sapling or a young tree will do just fine in a pinch.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm of the "I'll cut one when I need one" camp here. I do have a stick that I stripped and dried, then cut to proper length...years ago, but it doesn't get dragged around with the BOB or anything. It just sits in the corner of the room and looks pretty. One of my favorite activities when hiking is the "hunt" for just the right stick and the constant hunt to improve it.....

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I made one a few years ago, it's more of a cane than a walking stick/staff though.

IMAG0017.jpg

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Might want to look into a used set of ski poles.

This is the ticket. Available for just a couple of $$ at most any thrift store or junk shop. Used them for years as 'snake sticks'.

Top Bottom