• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So yesterday I walked 19 miles just because. No pack just water. (I walked 4 miles a day everyday for almost 2yrs but have not done that in about a year)

I learned a lot I do not have any delusions anymore of my family covering 100’s of miles to get home (in any reasonable amount of time)

It took me close to 7hrs and there is absolutely no way I could continue today at the same pace. (However slow that may have been) Knee is killing me, stiff muscles etc etc.

So I need to either train….. but that wouldnt help the others in my famiy. Or find different modes of transportation…… or both.

Was a good reality check for me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    So yesterday I walked 19 miles just because. No pack just water. (I walked 4 miles a day everyday for almost 2yrs but have not done that in about a year)

I learned a lot I do not have any delusions anymore of my family covering 100’s of miles to get home (in any reasonable amount of time)

It took me close to 7hrs and there is absolutely no way I could continue today at the same pace. (However slow that may have been) Knee is killing me, stiff muscles etc etc.

So I need to either train….. but that wouldnt help the others in my famiy. Or find different modes of transportation…… or both.

Was a good reality check for me.
    Dude, I'm 63 and a half, my wife is 76. We're not going anywhere. And we're shooting the interlopers as soon as we see them cross the property line at 600 meters. Decent shape for the shape we're in, but running only means we'll die tired.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Dude, I'm 63 and a half, my wife is 76. We're not going anywhere. And we're shooting the interlopers as soon as we see them cross the property line at 600 meters. Decent shape for the shape we're in, but running only means we'll die tired.
    No running or anything……

All I am saying is I thought it would be no issue getting from (insert where I am stranded) to home. I am not speaking of “bugging out” I’m talking about returning to bug in scenario. Stuck at the grocery store? That’s a 45 minute drive for me…..

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    My Brother is a dedicated, I would almost call him an insane runner. He's run a few races of 100 miles and tons of Marathons! Hes in a class of a very small number of the population. Most people can't run a 1600 meter course or walk more than a couple/3 miles.
    Right that’s what I am saying a lot of people say if stranded they will walk to said location……… but until you try it I wouldn’t be banking on it. People think it is just “walking” how hard can it be….

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a 23 (as the crow flies) or 34 highway miles home from work.
    When we hiked the AT we tried to make 15/20 miles a day which was basically sun Up to sun down minus breaks lunch and a few views and talking to others on the trail.

if something happens while at work and I have to walk home it will be hard to make it without a sleep period. So being in the heart of downtown they have lime scooters ( EMP no go) and bike rentals which should get me home within the day. The scooters will GPS out after a certain distance. The bikes have no such restriction.
    I would be traveling in. Some of the worst of neighborhoods also. so do I go biking on the highways longer or the straight line it through the hood.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a 23 (as the crow flies) or 34 highway miles home from work.
    When we hiked the AT we tried to make 15/20 miles a day which was basically sun Up to sun down minus breaks lunch and a few views and talking to others on the trail.

if something happens while at work and I have to walk home it will be hard to make it without a sleep period. So being in the heart of downtown they have lime scooters ( EMP no go) and bike rentals which should get me home within the day. The scooters will GPS out after a certain distance. The bikes have no such restriction.
    I would be traveling in. Some of the worst of neighborhoods also. so do I go biking on the highways longer or the straight line it through the hood.
    That is a tough call…. Emp highways will be trash too but should be a better group of people if you go through before “normal” people realize it is shtf…… the hood is bad to ride through on a good day. I’d chance the highway.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    A lot of fields and woods also……. Do you stick to roads or go “straight” towards your destination

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My grocery is just a 10 minute walk. About the farthest I normally go would be to one of my kids’ houses. The boy’s house would be helluva walk. About 50 minute drive on highways, so depending on weather, one day might be tough.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    For me the answer has always been a mountain bike. I keep one stashed at work. The ride home 60 miles would easily be doable in a day fully laden with gear as I ride often. Problem is getting from downtown Chicago area to where I can feel safe. I have a lot of possible routes none of them safe if people are agitated. I used to think a small bore 4 stroke enduro bike would be a better alternative now I think an E bike would be the best answer but an investment I am not keen on.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    For me the answer has always been a mountain bike. I keep one stashed at work. The ride home 60 miles would easily be doable in a day fully laden with gear as I ride often. Problem is getting from downtown Chicago area to where I can feel safe. I have a lot of possible routes none of them safe if people are agitated. I used to think a small bore 4 stroke enduro bike would be a better alternative now I think an E bike would be the best answer but an investment I am not keen on.
    If things get bad, with the e-bike you also have an incendiary device at hand. :dunno:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is a tough call…. Emp highways will be trash too but should be a better group of people if you go through before “normal” people realize it is shtf…… the hood is bad to ride through on a good day. I’d chance the highway.
    There are the old railroad tracks from downtown to northeast. Off the easy roads and highways and a straight run northeast. In The hood at the beginning most people will stick to the roads and easy prey and the old railways should be grey man. No bike no scooter but an easystraight line towards home.

That would be worst case the car is pre 2010 so it is not as electric as new models more likely to work in SHTF as others. Might still run and it always has full tank of gas. Since it does not have any extra electrical than those normal to start and run we have a chance and the starter alternator battery and some coils. Collector SUV at home is pre 2010 Toyota also. If we were inside the starting of troubles before the major pushes I would most likely be going to work. then throw my old bike in the back as being an old mountain bike I could push it where I could not ride pretty easy. Those renter bikes are heavy.

e bike nice but would my car still fail and e bike still work? Guess that is the lime scooter or the others will come in handy and around the area.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    One never knows when you may be tested ..............
    ( have never used it for long distances ) but I always have one of those collapsible 2 wheel dollies behind my seat and a couple of wood poles in the truck bed ( to make longer handles ) that I can lash on and carry items " Rickshaw " style . I would rather pull my pack or whatever else vs on my back .

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just remember, be prepared but do not appear to be. Nothing tactical visible. Grey man it. If you are forced to walk/bike home and encounter others be on your normal daily hike/walk and know nothing about anything going on.

If they try to tell you something bad(an emp hit ect) blow it off as "sure" or "I am sure things will be back to normal soon". People being put at ease will see you as less of a target. Keep it short and keep moving, every second you are talking moves the risk of you being a target up. Avoiding any human contact is unlikely if you are getting out of a city on foot. Stay grey. You know nothing and keep it upbeat and friendly. Avoid large groups or crowds if at all possible. Know your own abilities and do not push yourself to hard. Have plenty of water.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wrong. If SHTF and there is no internet, or no cell those scooters wont even turn on because you cant "check one out" and get them to work. (unless you "borrow" one long enough to crack them open and figure out how to bypass the control boards and return them to regular operation)

The bikes, sure just have to make sure you have a tool strong enough to release the jaws on the base to get it free to "borrow" it to get home.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    A lot of fields and woods also……. Do you stick to roads or go “straight” towards your destination
    This brings up another point to you OP. Walking on concrete or a cleared path is much different than walking though the sticks. You have to take terrain as well as foliage into account. The edges of a grove or forest will be very dense and thick in the summer, but will get clearer when you get past and underneath the canopy.

Up here in Northern Indiana we have an invasive type of honeysuckle that grows very thick on the ground. You cannot walk let alone run through these bushes. They are just too dense with many woody twigs that you'll need to carefully crawl though them. There is also a high risk of getting your eye poked (ask me how I know). There are also sticker vines which are very difficult to pass though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This brings up another point to you OP. Walking on concrete or a cleared path is much different than walking though the sticks. You have to take terrain as well as foliage into account. The edges of a grove or forest will be very dense and thick in the summer, but will get clearer when you get past and underneath the canopy.

Up here in Northern Indiana we have an invasive type of honeysuckle that grows very thick on the ground. You cannot walk let alone run through these bushes. They are just too dense with many woody twigs that you'll need to carefully crawl though them. There is also a high risk of getting your eye poked (ask me how I know). There are also sticker vines which are very difficult to pass though.
    Oh yeah. One of my most painful skydiving injuries was getting my cornea scratched while bushwhacking through the woods looking for another jumper's canopy that had to be cut away midair due to a malfunction.

And the kicker? I WASNT EVEN JUMPING THAT DAY!!!!

(everybody chips in to look for gear when it gets cut away. you dont just walk away from a $2,000+ custom piece of gear)

Top Bottom