• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We are Sam's members as well. Part of the agreement is the receipt check. I don't have a problem with it.

Anywhere else, I answer a polite "No, Thanks" and keep walking. Our local Wally World and similar stores have rarely given me a second look, let alone even asked for a receipt.

My wife usually just waves it at them as she goes by with her cart. Stepping in front of her would get you run down!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm gonna try that next time. Then if they insist, I'll slice the greeters arm of with my light saber.

I have a lightsaber too

ZTWaI.jpg

yes thats really me, and I built that lightsaber with my own hands too

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Walmart and places like that I will just keep walking. Sams club is a different story since I knew that before getting a membership there.

Only other time I will stop is if the derned alarm is going off. I don't want anybody following me or calling the police on me for a false alarm.

:+1:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I also have customers that refuse to allow us to check their receipt, and they get home only to realize they paid for a 42" tv, but walked out the door with a 40. Since you did not allow us to check your receipt, you now own a 40" tv. Because you can not produce the receipt for a 40" tv, we will not return it. Company policy. Which also happens more often then you would think, One number typed in wrong and you pay for the wrong thing, because we don't scan the tv, we type in a upc number.

Seriously? You're saying that you manually enter product numbers rather than using a cordless scanner, and that if one of your checkout staff mistypes, the customer is hosed because you didn't do a receipt check???? (never mind the mouth-breather that doesn't realize what they paid for and what they have are 2 different things)

The vindictive part of me would raise all kinds of hell about that. I can only imagine how jacked up your inventory becomes over the course of a year.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Wondering if anyone else is bothered by the post-shopping receipt check at Walmart, Sam's Club, etc.

The other day I bought some stuff, paid for it, and was on my way out the door when my wife alerted me to the fact that I had to stop and get my stuffed checked out by the lady at the door. Well, I was in a hurry and there was a line of people getting their stuff checked out. I went to walk out when the lady said, "Hey, sir, I have to check you receipt before you can leave!" As a walked out, I said, "No you don't". My wife was upset with me because I didn't do what I was supposed to do. My argument was, "Why do I have to stop there. I didn't steal anything and the stuff in the bags is now mine since the cashier already took my money in exchange for it. Why do they have a right to look at my stuff?"

I know I'm making a big deal about a little thing, but it bothered me!
    If you were at Sam's Club you have to let them check the receipt. It's part of your membership contract that you agreed to. At Walmart it might be a bit different, they only check unbagged merchandise (bags of salt, big boxes, etc). You can show them or not, since you haven't signed an agreement. But, if they decide you're a potential thief and call the cops you will be showing your receipt to someone and you'll have no recourse, since you'll only be detained by the cops. Other places, like Best Buy, etc, you could say no and make a scene or spend the 2 seconds it takes to just get out the door. Your call.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    And of course, If I do steal something, I'll make sure to put it in my bag from my check out as opposed to, I don't know, actually hiding it somewhere?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    i knew a guy that would go in one door, and then go buy 2 or 3 dvd's and then exit the same door, he would then drop off the dvds in his car, go back in the other door, put the same dvds in the bag and walk back out with them. they check the receipt and see that he bought them. He would then go out to his car. and return the un opened DVD's to a different walmart. Free DVDs

I stopped talking to him once i found this out.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    While I also find checking receipts dumb...Its my job at Best buy to check them. But I only check them on things such as a laptop or a television, Because It would honestly shock you guys at how often someone will grab a TV off the shelf, Hold on to a receipt that's days old, and attempt to walk out the front door. Or if the alarm goes off Ill at least walk towards the person and ask. If the others are like me, I could not care less if you actually stop. But at places like Bestbuy I, along with you, are on camera constantly, and If something were to come of it, i want my attempt to check your receipt on camera.

I also have customers that refuse to allow us to check their receipt, and they get home only to realize they paid for a 42" tv, but walked out the door with a 40. Since you did not allow us to check your receipt, you now own a 40" tv. Because you can not produce the receipt for a 40" tv, we will not return it. Company policy. Which also happens more often then you would think, One number typed in wrong and you pay for the wrong thing, because we don't scan the tv, we type in a upc number.

Another common issue throughout is people buying 3 movies, then going to the movie department and putting a few more in their bag, without being noticed. When the alarm goes off they throw a fit because we ask for their receipt. I Know its a pain, But a polite "no thanks" when asked for your receipt goes a long way.

1025 AP at it's finest, right? :D

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    They used to do this at my walmart. I would just start laughing and keep walking. After about the 3rd or 4th SIR, SIR. They would no longer bother.

If I were a member at an establishment that I knew that was a requirement upfront then yes I would stop and let them see.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I walk right past 'em all the time. They never make it through the second door.

If I have to suffer the indignity of shopping at walmart for one reason or another, I will NOT suffer through a receipt check.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm not sure if it is part of the Sam's Club agreement or not. I just filled one out for a small business, and it didn't say that anywhere. I do know that nothing comes of it if you do blow past them, I do it all the time. If I don't have to wait, I'll comply, but my absolute worst is when they have all 12 lanes going on a busy weekend, and they all funnel to some poor over-worked older person who is just frantically pencil whipping a highlighter over everything without looking at anything. It's insane, and even with the no-look pen whipping, the line is backed up.

I just push past and smile as I hear the "sir! sir!" and keep moving. I've already decided if they make a beef about it, or lay hands on me, I'll just hand them my card to keep. I've rage quit Sam's once before, I can do it again. The time before they instituted a policy where the employee has to unload your cart into a new cart, for theft deterrant reasons, which is okay. My problem is that I had four bags of 80 lbs water softner salt on the underside of the cart, and a 70 year old grandmother checking me out.

After she scanned them I started movign the salt myself so she wouldn't have to, and she said "sir, you can't do that, the store requires me to." I said, "That's fine, I'd hate for you to throw your back out or injure yourself." She said, "it's store policy." And I said, "when my parents raised me to respect my elders, I don't think they thought that would include having them load 300lbs of salt for me. Can I speak to your manager?" After the guy came over, and verified the policy with a straight face, and that I wasn't going to be allowed to move my own salt, I handed him my card, said "that's insane. I won't be finishing this transaction or continuing my membership" and left.

After I heard they discontinued that policy, I came back. *shrug* Just because they say you have to do something doesn't mean you have to do it, and if they want to enforce a silly, ineffective or harmful rule then they can revoke my membership and I'll go elsewhere.

Wal-Mart? Please. The only time I'm stopping is if I trigger the alarm, and only then if there is someone right there to assist. If I stop and look around and there isn't anyone hustling over to deactivate and assist me, I keep going. Afterall, I didn't steal anything.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you know that is what Sam's club policy is and you don't like abiding by it then why do you shop there? Go some where else and shop, nobody is forcing you to shop there. :rolleyes:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I was with my ex once and we were walking out and the checker just so happened to be a little off in the head... he open the bag to find a bunch of rubbers and some lube.... he giggled to himself and passed the bag back....

Top Bottom