• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    This is bs. My Walmart has more ammo in stock that I've seen in the last week than it has in the last couple months lol.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Went to the Walmart in Greenfield last night and they had probably 15 boxes of Federal 9mm FMJ for 13.97 and Federal .45 around 20.00 for 50 rounds and had some 100 packs for 32.97. I was the only one around and couldn't believe my good fortune but was looking around for a salesperson, then it was like people smelled blood in the water or something and then there were around 4 other guys there waiting, still enough to go around though.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Calling to confirm stock probably isn't going to do a whole lot of good when the good stuff is gone almost as fast as it comes out. I got lucky today at Beech Grove Walmart and found the case better stocked than usual with WWB 100 packs of 9mm, 40 and 45. I was nice and only bought 1 box of 45acp.

I was in there yesterday afternoon and they had nothing on the shelves. The clerk said they were getting 1 box of 9mm, 2 boxes of .357 and 5 boxes of .45 that night. Wish I would have gotten in the earlier! I'm getting low on 9mm.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    The reason they probably instituted purchasing limits on ammo was to help their position in selling firearms (once availability comes back to normal), but especially accessories. They can make a ton off of higher margin accessories, but only if people can actually get ammo to shoot.

1. Buy a new gun
    2. Buy ammo
    3. Buy all sorts of other stuff associated with shooting said ammo through said gun

without #2, #3 is no worky and WangMart can't make the cash

If you can't get ammo for your new gun, why would you buy:
    targets
    solvent
    gun oil
    gun cleaning kit
    range bag
    shooting rests
    eye protection
    hearing protection
    holster
    etc. etc. etc.

All of which Walmart carries and all of which are probably higher than average margin. If the margin on their ammo is on average lower than their projected margin on accessories sales, it's an easy business decision to limit per person sales of ammo.

And obviously there are lots of guns which people reconsider buying if they know they won't be able to get ammo for it (or it's too expensive).

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've seen .357, 9mm, 45acp, 45 Colt and 22LR at 2 Walmarts. You just have to get there before the "Ammo Zombies" post it on the net. Folks are running around buying up whatever they can to resell on the net for double $. That's why Walmart is limiting purchases.

I heard one PERSON at GM the other day say he wasn't even a shooter but he was willing to buy their whole skid of ammo when it came out on the floor. I don't think they sold it to him tho.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Just a word of warning....don't trust walmart's online stock indicator for true in-store stock on ammo. I ALWAYS call to confirm stock if, online, it says a store has it. About 2/3rds of the time they don't really have any. All they seem to have lately in 9mm is the TulAmmo steel stuff, and the Federal 50-packs(if you're lucky).

Calling aint much help either, by the time you get there, it will be gone...

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    This is the kind of stuff that just feeds the panic.... The ammo orders are probably going to the stores that sell the most. Walmart headquarters are the ones who decide where the inventory goes.....

MolonLabe7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Muncie
    just picked up some 9mm in muncie. They are still getting what they can in and limiting people to 3 cases of ammo per person per day. At least thats how it is here in Muncie

phearly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis,IN
    Calling aint much help either, by the time you get there, it will be gone...

Yeah...That's happened several times as well...lol If you look around on the web you can still get the direct links to walmart's online ammo listings(which include the inaccurate store stocking status). Looks to me like they just "hid" them by not allowing them to be searched....but they're there.

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Still are as of now, however, I can honestly say that they have greatly cut back on what they offer at their stores. I live in an area where there are seven or eight within a reasonable distance from my home and all of them are constantly bare shelved, not do to an insane amount of demand, but rather from a crappy amount of restock.
    Lets face it! Walmart is the biggest retailer on the planet and has immense purchasing power. I cannot bring myself to believe that what little bit of ammo they get in from time to time is the extent of what they can put out there.

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    Walmart cut back on the guns and ammo. I think they're taking the middle of the road, having some ammo to keep us hopeful, but limiting amounts to make the anti-gunners think they're influencing the world's greatest retailer. Possible?

Zachary8328

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Once the shortage is over everyone will be able to buy like candy again from Wal- Mart. They can't give up on ammo

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Still are as of now, however, I can honestly say that they have greatly cut back on what they offer at their stores. I live in an area where there are seven or eight within a reasonable distance from my home and all of them are constantly bare shelved, not do to an insane amount of demand, but rather from a crappy amount of restock.
    Lets face it! Walmart is the biggest retailer on the planet and has immense purchasing power. I cannot bring myself to believe that what little bit of ammo they get in from time to time is the extent of what they can put out there.

Congrats on your 50 posts and first classifieds ad :)

Oh - this thread is 3 weeks old. It's generally best to leave those threads where they are.

Top Bottom